Yamabushi no Kunai - New SPAM - 1-9-13

Comments

• Last weigh in Kunai was a healthy 22 lbs and growing. He gets thicker by the week :o)
    Here is how I described him to Jen....
    Kunai the Monster: He is really great too. Love love love his attitude with us. His typical learning pattern was to really put up a big fuss at first but with persistence he would relent and then turn completely willing and wanting to please with no other obstacles. He has had some issues with resource guarding but with diligent work he is really shaping up with that. Aside from that he is sweet, respectful of us and is really great to teach. He's a little more timid with strangers but I wouldn't say fearful, probably just more cautious. Of course comparing him to Kitora... I think she is much more outgoing than he is but I think she's is more outgoing than the majority of Kai (???). His testicles have almost completed dropping (WHEW!!) so we are excited that he'll be ok in that regards... we won't plan for pups until Ki's 3rd heat. I think her 2nd heat will hit right after our baby is born! So, no puppies during that time (hopefully!! haha) He weighs in at 22 lbs! and is ~15"

Thanks for letting us share!
  • He's got a really light color! Very cool looking.
  • Thanks! We really love the lil beastie and his look too! :o)
  • That's for sharing @CarabooA - I think some of the differences you see is just a male Kai vs a female Kai. Male Kai tend to be more aloof with strangers. Also, the "attitude" that you see is the flip side of Kumi's personality that people don't get to see when they meet her. She's such a love bug, but she can be a bossy little thing too. lol

Then, he's an akatora too, they are always a bit extra "spicy".

----
  • BTW - We moved Nori's crate to an area away from the boys, in a busier area, and she is now guarding her crate a bit when dogs walk by. So I guess that runs in the family. Ritsu has always done that initially as well, but he eventually grows out of it.
  • lol @brada1878 "spicy" That's a perfect way to describe it! I forgot to tell you guys that he also does what we like to call "the Kumi roll" - it's the half somersault she was doing to Kinz while we were there - the one where she rolls right onto her back right by you... it's so cute!
    We too thought it might be that he's the only male of the pack and therefor would be a little different... it's funny, the only one he bosses around is Ki - the big girls he really brown noses! lol
  • Cute pup! Takes after his mom alot. :-)
  • I love the first picture of all your dogs so beautiful. :)

I love your land! I got 16acres which is nice, but would be nice live where you are lots open spaces.
  • Thanks! We do feel blessed to have the open land... wish it was more green, but beggars can't be choosers, right? lol The dogs do enjoy the space, and it does feel nice to let them run on the BLM. :o)
  • Just had to share today that after more training Kunai had another big outing to town day and he did wonderful! Not a single boof and he sat neatly and waited for us to conclude "business", and surprisingly there weren't even any sweaty paws!!! I was super impressed! He got a gold star for tail wags and politeness, listening to commands and behavior! I love watching pups mature and start acting on what we've been teaching!! Yay!
  • Ok, so while I'm on the forum - I have to brag about Kunai again... sorry, no new pics today - just a brag (and also wondering if anyone else has experienced such a change in demeanor through adolescence?)

So, it seems as though Kunai has thrown all aloofness out the window when it comes to other people..... we've had several new visitors in the house and been making more runs to town with him and he has completely stopped any "shyness", boofing etc. He exhibits an extremely friendly demeanor with ZERO timidness, will sit at their feet if they talk to him and wait to be pet (if I say it's ok).... but hops up and is ready to go when I am!! I'm so excited for this, his socialization training seems to have really impacted him in a very positive way!!! SO happy!!!

As always thanks for letting us share!
  • Cara, I've seen changes like that in Kai... Actually his mom (Kumi) was pretty timid when she was very young but, as you know, she is very friendly now.

However, I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with your pregnancy hormones than anything else. How far along are you now? I noticed the our dogs changed drastically from 2nd to 3rd trimester when Jen was pregnant. They went from very clingy and standoffish to outgoing and comfortable. It was interesting.

----
  • Ahhh Kunai!!! He does look like Kumi. He looks like Mika too, other than the color. I'm glad to hear that he's becoming an outgoing little man. His sister is very outgoing!!

LOL and Mika is like 30 pds. I'm horrible. I need to get pics of her, but it seems like she always has scrapes or vet shaved legs.
  • Yes!! @tjbart17 pictures please!!!! She must be Kitora's size then!! wow!! :o) Can't wait to see her when you do post!!!

@brada1878 - Didn't even occur to me that he'd be responding to my pregnancy too! Mirra did almost immediately (but she's been through it before with Kinz), I just didn't think with all his growing and changing that he'd do that - it totally makes sense! I'm 23 weeks and he has also been doing this little "dance" when I come into the room. He stands up on his hind legs at me (doesn't push or anything) and as I walk by stays on his hind legs, wags a LOT (lol) and follows me for a few steps.... just makes me <3 him more!! Great thought!!
  • That's awesome to hear! Interesting about their change in demeanor during pregnancy. That dance sounds pretty funny :)
  • Here's Kunai with his buddy Jason... lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kunai is such a wonderful member of our family... can't imagine what it was like before we knew him! What a character!
  • Oh Kunai you are such a handsome and silly pup!!! He is so adorable!!!! I can't believe how much I can see both Kumi and Ritsu in him. I like the shoulder lay. His sis does that too.
  • He's cute... and looks so much like Kumi. It's crazy! His color is great too.
  • He's always on the move so is hard to get a good pic of - every time I say stay he comes at my feet to sit... we're working on that lol
    As kind of see, he's becoming quite the little chore buddy with Jason... helping with the horses, goats, rabbits and ducks!!! He's doing great - we also will rave about the permatack leash he sports (thanks @WrylyBrindle :o) We LOVE that leash - Ki will get one too, that's how much we love it!
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's it for Kuners for now. I need to get some really good side profiles of him, he's turning into quite the little stud muffin!!!

Thanks for letting us share!
  • He's grown up nicely. :)
  • What a handsome boy!!
  • Kunai is a really handsome guy! He reminds me a lot of Sosuke and Juno in coat. Im so glad you put up some more photos- I went back to the top of the thread and looked at his puppy shots again and scrolled thru to now. :)
  • Thanks guys! :D We really love him, he's such a character and wonderful to have around...
    @WrylyBrindle I'm not real familiar with Sosuke, but I love how his tail curls up like Juno's although not quite as fluffy! I love his coat and color - I always admired the looks of Eishen - sp? (Ritsu's sire) and loved how red in color he is... I feel super duper lucky to have some of that red coming thru on Kunai. A bonus, with how great of a pup he is!!! I like scrolling thru from top to bottom too... we used to always ask him jokingly if he was ever going to grow, and well... just like a kid, suddenly they have :)
  • He's so adorable!! That third pic looks like Mika's profile a bit. How much does he weigh? Mika is like a little tank of muscle. She's 36 pds and ripped in her back end.

I think they are the same height.

His brindle is fabulous!!
  • Sosuke is Juno's brother, he lives with @hondru Heidi! He looks like a boy Juno. :D
    I see Kumi's face on Kunai.
  • So handsome :)
  • @tjbart17 Thanks! Kunai is all muscle too!!! - Kunai is a solid muscle of 28 lbs. Kitora just weighed in at 37!!! She could probably loose one or two lbs, but not much, she's a big girl - sounds like the same size as Mika!!! :D

@WrylyBrindle - AH! Now I know who!! Thanks!! :)

Thanks you guys - he's a little spoiled, lol I just had to "ahah" him for trying to Bogart the water bucket.... he's such a booger, wasn't gonna let Kitora drink right then! Do you think he might be too controlling in their relationship???? hahaha
  • @hondru @WrylyBrindle - it does seem the colors are really close for our three, huh??!!! Biggest difference in them is all of their adorable individual faces!!! Love that!!! :x
  • The color of him is amazing. Kunai is a beatiful pup.
  • Thank you :) He is a really great lil guy!