Kimi and Yoshi

Hello All -

Here are links to the Facebook Photo Albums for our two Shikoku; Kimi and Yoshi.

Kimi
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1518287083580.2065492.1426601754&l=a949858c3f

Yoshi
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1658536229721.2078479.1426601754&l=05286e5b48

Kimi; 33lbs, is a 4.5yr old Intact female from Mike and Mura. Yoshi; 42lbs, is a 3.5yr old Neutered male from Mike and Yana.

I was expecting Yoshi to be a challenge; not having had much socialization with people, leaving him somewhat standoffish and grumbly. My first meet went reasonably well, and though he vocalized a fair bit initially, he was alright when I took over for the latter half of a walk, passing Kimi's leash to Katja. I briefly introduced Yoshi to my family; despite having next to no previous exposure to children, he did better than expected, though at this point his manurisms had me playing the over cautious parent. Overall Yoshi behaved himself; though once back in a kennel run, he stood and barked at me when I approached the door. The second visit I took him out for a long walk, solo; had him display some pulling and barking at a passing teen on a bike...who went out of his way to cross the road and ride close to us...and a much better display; calm and watchful, when a woman on horseback passed us. I then played fetch in a larger excercise pen with Yoshi for a bit. On this second visit I also lifted him onto a grooming table; where Katja and I proceeded to brush him. He still has a lot of shedding to do...and here I thought we were done with that; having just recovered from Kimi's spring coat explosion... :) I then led him back to an individual run, where all was well, and no grumbling. Our trip home went great; no car sickness, which was amazing...and he is already incredibly tolerant of my little ones. I think spending two days traveling with us; absorbing the sounds and scents, went a long way towards his acclimitization. We made plenty of stops; and at each one he was more greatful to be let loose from the crate, and more hesitant to go back in. On the plus side...Yoshi has now decided to behave when we meet strangers on a walk; quietly watching them pass, no more of the previous barking or growling displays. Yoshi is responding excellently to his new environment; I don't think he has ever experienced quite this level of attention before, and he is loving it. He has some interesting habits; and promptly jumps up and lies in my spot on the couch when I enter the TV room...I make him move every time...but he never stops trying... :)

Now...the real trick will be dealing with how jealous Kimi is upon her return...we did introduce the two, but having his smell on her turf when she gets back is likely to make for some interesting times...more updates on that in the coming weeks...and of course, more pictures once we have a chance to get out there and really play. :)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Congratulations! Your post made me laugh at points - nice writing! :-)

Good luck with the introductions!

Edited add: Is your "Kimi" really Chigusa? I am guessing because of her parents that she is...if so, she is the dam of my female Sachi and the-november-rain's InuYasha.
  • Silly pup! Congratulations!
  • I saw Kimi a few years ago when I visited Katja. She's very pretty. Sounds like things are going well with Yoshi! Do keep us updated.
  • Congrats on the new pup!
  • Nice shikoku. I love their names my first corn snake was named Yoshi.
  • Congrats on the new addition. Both your dogs are beautiful!
  • Congrats, Mac! :o)

----
  • Congrats! Very glad to see that he got a good home. :)

Good luck with Kimi's breeding!
  • Thanks to all for the congrats! We are very happy that Yoshi is adjusting well. I might have a solution to my couch quandry...thinking I might 'accidentally' start leaving a treat or two on the other end of the cushion... :)

I will take some more pics on the weekend. The day we got home he played in the snow...besides the usual nose digging and sliding along, he rolled over and slid down the bank on his back; what a goof, hadn't seen that before. :) If the snow lasts until the weekend I will try to get it on video.

@Edgewood - Our Kimi is Akashima's Chigusa. I showed pics of Sachi and InuYasha to my wife and daughters; they loved seeing Kimi's pups. The_November_Rain was nice enough to send me a clip of Kimi being chased by her three pups; it is by far the girls all time favorite video. :)

@hondru - Will do. I am sure having two Shikoku will keep life...entertaining. :)

• Awesome Shikokus Cmpteki!!!!!
  • I added a few more pics of Yoshi...including some with my girls. Oh...my wife also determined that he doesn't like cats...no growling or barking, but when a neighbours kitty came in the yard and he noticed its presence, it streaked between slats in the lattice under the deck...and Yoshi; in hot pursuit, crashed right through the lattice work with my wife in tow... :)
  • He's super cute!
  • Very lovely photos and CONGRATS on the new addition. =]