Dogs "correcting" each other.

edited October 2010 in Behavior & Training
Mitsu (my 4 mo. old shiba) and Kratos (my adult dalmatian rescue) adore each other, but they both see each other differently (imo). It seems to me that Kratos enjoys having a playmate, but we have seen a little bit of jealous big brother syndrome and a little bit of a regression in training - nothing extreme, and we were able to work this by increasing the amount of training lessons he received each day. Mitsu, on the other hand, absolutely adores Kratos in a way that still surprises me. Even though they both get separate, individual time with both me and my husband, and even though she is not with Kratos 24/7 (and they are crated separately), she is incredibly bonded to him and whines for him if they need to be separated or if he goes for a walk without her.

They play together very well. Kratos is normally pretty gentle and Mitsu thinks she's a big dog in a small body (typical shiba). Sometimes, their play does get rough and (on Mitsu's side) very vocal - growling, barking, making all sorts of noises. But they never fight. And if things ever seem to be getting *too* rough, especially since Mitsu is still young, I separate them for a brief amount of time. Neither of them are aggressive, with either food or toys, but they are never together when unsupervised and I always separate them for feedings (esp. since Kratos came to us with an overeating/problem with competitive eating that even living with us alone for three or so years before Mitsu has not been able to help - he has a corrective bowl and we feed him in small amounts, otherwise he pretty much just swallows anything and everything whole).

However, every once in a while, during play, Kratos will accidentally step on Mitsu's paw. This tends to happen when one dog is 90 lbs and his playmate is a 10 lb shiba that thinks she rules the world. Mitsu's usual response was to cry out and walk away. The past couple of times this has happened, though, she doesn't walk away - she lays down the law by barking and giving Kratos a firm nip.

Kratos likes to pretend that he is big and macho, but really, he's a big baby and will hide behind me if anything gets too scary for him. So when this happens, Kratos backs off and usually comes to me with a somber expression. So far, all I do in that situation is give him a pet, tell him it's okay, and let him go back to playing when he is ready (usually in the next minute or two).

But I wonder - should I be correcting this? Is this simply dogs being dogs and communicating with each other in each other's language? Or can this eventually be a problem?

Mitsu is going to start a once-a-week doggy daycare soon (where she will have shiba playmates!) - should I worry that she'll fail temperament screening if she "corrects" another dog like this? (Up until this point, I haven't seen this during playdates.)

Sorry for the length - thanks for any advice!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    IMHO if they are accepting the correction and it isn't escalating that is actually a good thing. I have three dogs at home. And especially since one is a Shikoku (which I am fairly certain is the Japanese word for "Punk-ass") my other two have to periodically dole out a correction of two. It is a split second and then they go back to playing or whatever it was they were doing. On the very rare occasion that it escalates beyond that correction I will step in and time out the two offending parties for a brief moment. All they ever needs is a moment. Kind of like a reset button.

If the doggie daycare knows anything about behavior they will understand the difference between a correction and bullying.
  • I agree whole-heartedly with Jessica. Corrections are an important part of doggie language. And as long as it is not escalating, then things are going well.

My two Shibas occasionally have to dole out small corrections to each other when one oversteps a boundary. It is quick and they usually go right back to playing.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks. That is kind of what I figured, but Mitsu can get pretty intense during those corrections, so I was second-guessing myself. I just don't want her to end up causing an argument at daycare, especially since I want all her interactions to be as positive as possible. But the daycare staff seems very knowledgeable and they are also familiar with shibas, so hopefully it'll work out smoothly.