Satsumaimo-Japanese yam question

Okay, so I add cooked sweet potatoes to Ruby's food twice a day because the kid has the most incredible metabolism ever. Hilo and Miko each get a spoon full too just because it is yummy and makes them happy. Today I went to stock up on sweet potatoes and whole foods was out of regular ones, but had Japanese Yams which if my research is correct are also known as Satsumaimo. I peeled one and they are white, and smell nothing like sweet potatoes at all. I suddenly had the fear of oh god, what if they are toxic for dogs? I doubt they are but if someone didn't tell me years ago that grapes were toxic I would have assumed they were safe. So I am hoping someone here (maybe Shigeru?) has some experience with Satsumaimo and dogs before I peel and cook the 10lb/4.5kg that I bought.

Comments

• Satsumaimo is usually white to slight yellow tint and has the same texture like a regular potato in its raw stage. satsumaimo has a red to burgandy outer peel. So you should be good with what you got. I dont think there is any issues giving cooked satsumaimo to your dog, I remember I used to feed it to my Dads dogs when i was a kid. We would cook them in a open fire by sticking them in side the hot kindlings and put a bit of butter on it.....Oh man was it good!
  • So maybe I should save some for myself too..... Thanks Gen. I just didn't want to feed them anything I wasn't sure about. I am working a 12 hour day out of town tomorrow and Saturday and didn't want to experiment with dog sitters coming.
  • Oh! That's like arabic sweet potatoes :) My dad had the same reaction as you when he came to the states 30 years ago & saw sweet potatoes were "orange!" inside. lol In Syria, the inside is white. [ if you can find the white ones, they taste SOOOOOOO Good!!!! Better than the "orange" in my opinion! ]

I'm sure it's fine for the pups :) ~
  • Sweet potatoes helped Maymay go from 29 pds. to 39 pds. These sound good! I should get some.
  • Laughing at Tara's statement--because I certainly don't need my Shibas to gain weight! I feed them yams (the regular ones) occasionally when they have stomach upsets....
  • ha ha ha. Maymay was a bit underweight. It was a little sad when she came here.
  • Ruby needs to eat a whole sweet potato every day (a big one) otherwise she gets so thin.
  • Satsumaimo is really hard to find here in Socal. I goto the Japanese market all the time and they never have it. Any recommendation for Japanese sweet yams?
  • I found them at whole foods. Organic ones were the same price as regular sweet potatoes.
  • aykayk
    edited September 2010

There's a Korean sweet potato which looks exactly like the above Japanese sweet potato.

In the San Diego area, hit the Korean market named Zion Market. It's located in Kearny Mesa, just a couple of blocks from Marukai Market.

http://zionmarket.com

It's a good bet that they'll carry them, especially around New Year's time.
  • I feed those sweet potatoes in the picture Ann posted, to my dogs a lot. During the hunting season it's all I can do to keep weight on them. They're also great for human consumption. Bake 'em and throw some butter on 'em. Delicious.
  • I tried giving Koda sweet potatoes this weekend. The kid just won't eat his veggies. This would help a lot with getting a couple more pds. on him. Lol. Jessica I even tried going to Whole Foods and buying these. They were good though! Maymay and I ended up being the only ones who ate them.