To neuter or not to neuter

RyuRyu
edited March 2008 in General
that is the current question in our household. For me, it was a no-brainer. All of the dogs we owned growing up were neutered and that was that. However, Tim is hesitant to neuter because he's living in a fantasy land that Ryu will be a stud someday. We are in no way seriously considering breeding so I don't see where the doubt should arise. We also are not planning to place him in shows. Also, we are planning to bring a female Shiba into our household in the next year so I want to take that into consideration as well. What are your thoughts? Basically, I'm looking for "ammunition" to prove my point or get my @$$ handed to me :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    If I were you, I would neuter him. I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of separating him from the female shiba or deal with puppies. If I'm adding onto the family I like having full control of the numbers. And even if it's just stud service, who knows what kind of care the puppies will get. Just too much things to think about.
  • edited November -1

Neuter, end of story.  Tell Tim that his nuts aren't attached to Ryu's.  There are plenty of fully committed, wonderful Shiba breeders out their who have their own stud dogs that are carefully selected.  Breeding is not a something that should be done taken lightly, there are enough Shibas who can't find good homes as it is.

Neutering can help reduce the chances of several cancers and eliminate the chance of testicular cancer.  Neutering will also keep your male dog from asserting aggressive behaviors that might pop up if he smells a bitch in heat (that could be miles away).

• edited November -1
    I agree, NEUTER.  If you are not planning to breed or show.  What is keeping you from it?  He's not going to hate you for it, its in the best interest of Ryu to get him neutered. There are many advantages as Brandon posted.  You don't want to risk the chance of an "accident" happening either.  And especially if you plan to bring in a female shiba in the future, you DEFINATELY have to neuter.  Tell Tim that its great and all to dream, but its time to come back to reality Tongue out
  • edited November -1
    I am right now dealing with two intact males and a female in heat - neuter, no questions asked... if you are not fully committed to breeding the hassle is not worth it at all.
  • edited November -1

I agree too. Neutering is the way to go. As Brandon pointed out, breeding isn't a hobby that you pick up one day. If you plan to make it a full time job, that's a different story. Otherwise. Neuter. It's really the responsible thing to do.

And Brandon..'Tell Tim that his nuts aren't attached to Ryu's' was hilarious!! Kurt always said that he wouldn't have been able to take Keigo to the vet to get neutered (if he wasn't neutered when we adopted him). His response was 'you just don't do that to another guy'. It seemed ridiculous to me since he's NOT ACTUALLY DOING THE CUTTING...but now I understand. LOL.

• edited November -1
    Any updates on your guys' decision?
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1

Thanks guys!!! I knew we'd have enough ammunition to kick Tim's doubt into dust :-) I think the "Tell Tim that his nuts aren't attached to Ryu's" comment really nailed it down! There are just too many reasons favoring the neutering that we couldn't logically come up with a good reason not to. So, the appointment is made and we'll be uploading pictures like Romi in less than a month! :)

(Note: Thanks for the help guys - It's always so much easier to get a point across when I say the Shiba experts online said so!) Wink

• edited March 2008
    Thats really good to hear.  I hope Tim understands we weren't trying to single him out or anything.  But there wasn't any real logic in keeping Ryu intact and neutering is really in the best interest for him.  I hope the surgery and recovery goes well.  Keep us updated!
  • edited November -1
    lol my flemish giant (rabbit) babies go under the knife in a little over a week. im a bit scared but i really dont want any unexpected babies around and they're lost without each other so snip snip we go.
  • edited November -1
    That's good to hear.  I also just flat out prefer to not look at a big ballsack when my dog is walking in front of me.  You are doing things right though by letting Ryu mature a bit before getting him neutered, no reason to neuter a dog when it's three months old.
  • edited November -1

Lol, Brandon you're funny. 

• edited March 2008
    LOL, Brandon - so true! I was at a Pet Expo/Rare Breeds Dog show this weekend with Kuma (interesting experience). There were a lot of different types of dogs -- and the breeds with short coats, the "ball sack" is SO obvious! I have always had fuzzy butt dogs (ie, Spitz) where it hides in the fur, much preferrable. (And all of my other dogs were neutered during their 1st year).
  • edited November -1
    LOL. I totally agree with Brandon. It's quite an unattractive view.