Yamabushi no Kona -- Update and Snow Fun 2-8-16

1234568»

Comments

• edited November 2014
    wahoo! GO Kona! mulch spinouts!
  • Meitou agrees, yard zoomie are the greatest. He doesn't have all those spiffy levels, though. I think he would like that.

Congratulations on the house! Looks like your girls are really enjoying it. :3
  • Thank you!!! They are...and I am too :)
  • I bring pictures from this weekend!

She's really fast! It's hard to take pictures of her, she's like a little brindle bullet!

• I love the second picture of Kona haha, total GAME face! She had so much fun after not doing it for a while, thanks so much for always capturing the moments :)
  • Yay, Kona!! It's ON!
  • Got a video of Kona's first run. Love her little grumbles as she runs by! :D

• OMG lol!! You got it on video, that's awesome haha! So fierce :P
  • edited January 2015
    That video is awesome. :) To me it almost seemed like she didn't really want to be done.

I wonder if Meitou would like lure coursing? But I'm too chicken to let him try it. I don't know, it seems a bit risky to let a dog reactive dog run around off leash, lol. Plus he is a goober about being caught and re-leashed. That would be amusing for people to watch.
  • She never really wants to be done haha, but what you dont see is after she catches the lure how happy she looks and proud...SOOO proud :P Kimby I feel is just doing it to do it, she doesn't even care to catch, so she gets close to the end, then most of the time kind of wanders, like "come on, make the lure keep moving so i can keep chasing!" rather than kona's YEAH! I GOT it!

There are dogs who run with muzzles, so if you're really worried about that you could always try with a muzzle (@zandrame has a picture of a malinois with his crazy muzzle haha...i think his name was Kato), and if you just want to see if he likes it without paying full price, most of the events have fun runs for $2 :) It is always fun to watch! :D
  • @WhoBitMe, I think lure coursing is a good sport for reactive dogs because it gives them something to focus on. Kouda is reactive, and Kona is to a much lesser extent, but we just keep them from having to interact outside of their comfort zone. Kouda actually handles being around lots of dogs at events like this better than when we pass one on a walk. As long as they don't get too close...

Some of the dogs do wear muzzles, but even with them, I've never seen an altercation. Some dogs are notoriously difficult to catch, like Baxter (video), who's owner enlists volunteers to help catch him every time.

I think only true aggression towards humans is not tolerated. But dog reactivity is very manageable. To keep things as safe as possible, I would just speak with the event organizers/operators about your concerns and they can arrange things accordingly, and instruct onlookers to back off while your dog is loose.
  • @zandrame couldn't have said it better! :)
  • Kona at Chino CATs 2/28

Pro -
    20150228Kona_DSC6726
    20150228Kona_DSC6741
    20150228Kona_DSC6747
  • Thanks for the photos @zandrame! This last time was a lot of fun with everyone. I think the lighting with the clouds was perfect this time too! :)
  • Kona, you are so speedy and intense! We love ya!
  • Haven't posted on here in a while about the girls.. both of them have been great recently for the most part, health-wise with Kona last year we found out she has chronic pancreatitis, but happy it's something we've been able to keep at bay with a low-fat diet! She's been great and speedy as ever, trusty hiking buddy and overall great city kai :) Her and Kimber still get along great.. I can't complain, I feel very lucky to have both of them and feel lucky that they love each other so much ♥ This past weekend we took a trip up to Big Bear to do some hiking in the snow to give Kona some time to roam free and provide a little change of scenery from San Diego, and they seemed to love it. Kona took any and every opportunity to do her zoomies and as always never ranged far from us.. Here's a video and some pictures of Kona ♥

Video of play

Up, up and away, with Kona in the lead!

On the prowl..

A couple of them together..

Some play and action shots..

And a few close-ups
  • Stunning photos, and I loved watching Kona's zoomies she looks like she's having a fab time!
  • @Six thank you, anytime she can do some really good zoomies she's stoked on life! All she wants to do is run ♥