Yamabushi no Kona -- Update and Snow Fun 2-8-16
  • mdokicmdokic
    Kona is from the recent Nio x Ayu litter from Yamabushi Kennel! She is definitely a crazy Kai, very wiggly and lots of fun. She's the first dog I've ever personally owned (that wasn't one from when I was growing up), and she's the best first dog I could have asked for :) She was such a joy as a puppy and such a fast learner and she just keeps growing into an amazing dog and companion. Life would not be the same without her for sure <3<br />
    Here are some pictures of her from when she was a puppy up to now:

from her first hikes:

and now :)

Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Post edited by mdokic at 2016-02-08 13:07:31
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Aww!!! Look how petite she is! She is precious!
    That face is sooooo cute too!
    I do see how Shelby looks like a monster Kai compared to Kona. She also looks much girlier than Shelby.

Too sweet :)
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thank you!!! Where are you from btw? Any chance anywhere close to Cali?? :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    ahahaha... Kona has such a cute face. :)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Lol, mini kai face ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • EidenEiden
    So cute !! Love her little face !!
  • SangmortSangmort
    Oh God, she's adorable!!! :) ~
  • SayaSaya
    Kona is so adorable. Does she like all those basketballs? hehe
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • sunyatasunyata
    She is super cute! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • ttddinhttddinh
    She is sooo precious and pint-sized!! :) hehee, so different from Matsu and Goro; but cute nonetheless!! :)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thank you all for the compliments! @WrylyBrindle is right, Nio and Ayu don't have puppies, they're LOVE children! xP

And @Saya, here is how much she LOVES basketballs hehe :D

She even likes to STEAL lol

but she's much better at soccer, i'll have to get a video of that one day :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    I love her tiny-ness! She's the size of a 3-4 month old Goro, except she's slim and fit and Goro was a burly beast! LOL
    Post edited by Hinata23 at 2013-04-17 12:24:08
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL thank you! Goro is the CUTEST burly beast ever!! We have a cat door at our place and Chrystal was joking that it was too small for her to fit, but if she tried hard enough i think she could barely fit hahaha :P (wouldnt be very comfy tho)...i was actually watching "Too Cute" on animal planet, and some cats on there are even bigger than her! xP
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • thegelathegela
    awww Kona is super duper cute!! Her face reminds me of Hana a little!! :)
    Hana - 2yr (10-22-11)/ F / Kai Ken / shy, sweet, cuddly, silly, loves the woods
    Yezo - 6mo (07-11-13) / M / Hokkaido / foodie, monster, lovebug, loves winter
    -------------------
    instagram - gelabot
    hana yezo's tumblr - http://hanayezo.tumblr.com
    my tumblr - http://angelaan.tumblr.com
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Kona is just so adorable!! I am so happy you're on the forum. Fb is cool for pics but the forum is great for stories!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thanks @tjbart17 ! I agree, and there are so many threads here i've referenced for questions i've had in my head about kais that are SO helpful! much more rich in stories and content than FB :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • MirkaMMirkaM
    She is really cute.
    Kai will lay down its life to protect its master.
    photo banneri_zpsc6e1d74e.jpg
    Kennel Gekkoo No: http://gekkoonoen.webs.com/index.htm
  • ttddinhttddinh
    So CUTE with the basketbal!!!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Hahaha thanks! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • love seeing pictures of pups growing super cute :)
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Got to meet Kona at the OC Pet Expo today. She is the cutest and sweetest thing ever. Kaiju and Kona hit it off right away, it was super adorable. Oh, and for being so small, she is such a little piggie.... :)

@brada1878 @creativejen the Nio x Ayu litter produced some amazing pups! I don't think I could get enough of their stories!

I think I've caught the Kai love bug! :)
  • ceziegcezieg
    Dawww Kona is so freaking cute! How much does she weigh? She's definitely a petite little girl, but looks like she has a big personality :)
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @ttddinh - Yea, we're really proud of that litter. :)
  • aykayk
    She's super cute! She reminds me of Nio in person.
  • mdokicmdokic
    @ttddinh it was so awesome meeting you and Kaiju!! I still think it was hilarious how much they hit it off :P we all have to get together sometime soon!! We met this girl who lives really close that just got a Hokkaido pup too! ^_^

@cezeig The last time i weighed her it said 19.6 LOL. But that was at Petsmart and at the vet it's always a teeny bit higher, so maybe 20.6 or so haha and yes, her personality is HUGE and HILARIOUS. xP

@ayk she totally does. she has moments when im like "gah yeap that's nio" then "ah! that's Ayu!" it's so interesting to watch :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • mdokicmdokic
    Kona had a great time at the Pet Expo, meeting new Shikoku friends and meeting some fun people ^_^

She met Shikoku pup Kanani and dad Kaiju!

And in the end she got loved and very sleepy lol

DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Holy cow! I was like "I didn't know Akuma went to the expo." LOL That right eye brindle makes Kona look like a ton Akuma!
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL i thought the SAME thing about the right eye brindle when i saw pictures of Akuma!! i was like "Is that Kona?? waaait nooo" hahaha
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic Kona looks amazing! She's a super cute Kai, that's for sure. And that's cool to hear someone got a Hokkaido. Almost makes me wish I were closer so Meitou could have a Hokka playmate. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • mdokicmdokic
    Kona had a big day yesterday!! Her first time at the BEACH! :D I was actually really surprised that the very first thing she did was BOLT straight into the water without me being in that deep, but she did! She didnt quite go that deep again, but she did wade around and play with other doggies in the water too :) We fed her some treats to encourage her that water is FUN! She seemed to enjoy just walking in, then SPRINTING around the sand and up and down hills...overall it was quite the adventure.

Here's her first leap of faith!!

Then some pictures of her exploring and investigating this big body of water :)

Oh yeah...and there was DIGGING lol

LOL, oh yeah...and she also had her first brewery experience at Rough Draft Brewing Co :)

And the manager at Round Table on campus (where me and my best friend would code while sipping on beer haha) wants to make her the OFFICIAL UCSD Round Table mascot! :D

Sorry for all the photo spam!!! I just had to share! Looks like she's liking the water, and JUST in time for the coming summer!! The ocean is my favorite place and I get to share it with my favorite girl <3<div class="UserSignature">Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    She's so tiny!
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL yes she is!! But she has such a big adventurous personality that it makes up for what she lacks in size hehe :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Hahahaha She doesn't lack size! She's perfect! I love it! Goro is the one with size overload lol We were actually leaning towards a Kai that weighted 30 or less... and end up with Gorozilla LOL
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL Goro!! xP it is nice for sure to have her so small in our townhome lol, i think it feels big to her :D We're working to set up an obstacle course thingy in the garage so maybe she can play and we can teach her stuff ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    That sounds awesome!
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    She's so cute and little!!!!! I love Kona!! and I love that she's a beach girl- SurfDawg! Fun! She likes being picked up, huh? What a good lil kaigirl she is...I want to come over and pick her up, too. and play on the beach! How lucky they allow dogs. When I lived in Massachusetts, dogs were only allowed in winter (which admittedly is about 6 months) and IF the plovers werent nesting.
    photo Picture 3_zps4y5sotml.png Kai to the Core!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Lol!! Come pick her up anytime and play on the beach anytime!! :D She doesnt mind being picked up, when it happens she just goes "oh, ok" and relaxes ... I think that's because Nate picked her up SO much when she was little, she just gave up trying to squirm away :P And yeah, we're lucky there are planty of places where dogs are allowed on the beach...this particular location was Fiesta Island Dog Beach, so it's ACRES of land with fences by the main road so they're free to run around but still safe just in case :) I liked it, and with the more-still water i thought it was a good introduction...once she gets used to this ill take her to Del Mar Dog Beach during low tide ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    Kona is a cutie! Great pictures :D
    My goal is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thank you!! :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ZinjaZinja
    so cute!
    -Joe
  • mdokicmdokic
    Second beach day today and last bit of spam for a while haha...this was her first time at the ocean, rather than a bay, and her reactions were fun and interesting here too :) needless to say I think she's loving the water and all the adventures that come with it <3<br />

Then she socialized with the cutest little girl...she's still confused when it comes to children, but much better. And this girl was happy to help! :D

DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Great pics! She's so cute, and I'm loving the beach photos! Makes me miss the ocean, though. I love the ones with the ball, and with the malinois (I think) leaping after her!
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thank youuu!!! Where do you live again?? just come visit us! :D I loved watching the malinois (i think too xP) chase her up and down and up and down! And Kona was struggling with the ball being all slippery haha...and it would bob up and down and she'd paw at it like "STAY DANGIT STAY!" lol :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Love her!
  • ryananthonyryananthony
    sweet pictures love the spam
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thanks! ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    I live in NM, but was born in SoCal, which is why I miss the ocean! :) That said, I've lived most of my life away from it (in Alaska and NM), so....

But it sure looks fun to see Kona playing on the beach! :)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-05-13 15:21:51
  • mdokicmdokic
    Oh man it's great!! And with the weather waeming up, the water's super nice too (not FREEZING COLD) haha..awe! I want to visit alaska SOOO bad. That's just some place i gotta go...my ultimate goal (expensive, so we'll see if i can ever really have the money to do it), but i wanna climb denali and go glacier kayaking :))) Those are dreams of mine...unfortunately kona can't join me on those xP i even looked up if she could hike Mt. Whitney with me, and they allow dogs only up to outpost camp 1 or something...since past that is sequoia national park, and they dont allow dogs...poop. :(
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    She is so pretty! Your pics are gorgeous, and holding kona reminds me so much of Shelby! She must be much easier to hang on to than my big beast! :)
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    Thank yoou!! Our girls had a handsome mom and pop hehe ^_^ LOL kona is pretty easy to hold and it definitely helps that she's pint-sized xP does shelby like to be held?!! How is she doing btw!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • MontanaKaiMontanaKai
    Kona is super cute! I definitely see some similarities with Orry, especially in their profiles. They both have really cool markings by their right eyes.

I really hope to take Orry to the coast someday. The only problem is that he's super mischievous and loves to steal (always has...a serious klepto). He steals from other dogs, my daughters, or really anyone who is not paying attention. It usually gets us all laughing, but I'm not so sure how the innocent beach bum would react.

Thanks for the spam!
    Matsu likes to be held and carried- not forever, but I can't hold him forever anyway! He;s kindof a leaner, and pushes the top of his head into me. Part of his Good Morning to me is to butt his head through my legs and lean while I scruff up his sides and down his back legs.

I love Kona at the beach! How lucky that you can go there and run free.. :)
  • mdokicmdokic
    @MontanaKai yeah when i looked at pictures of orry i saw similarities in their profiles as well :) LOL klepto Orry! xP im sure he'll be fine...with all the stimulations at the beach maybe he'll forget about being klepto hehe :) but definitely do it and try!! It's so much fun for the doggies AND for us humans haha :)

@WrylyBrindle yeah Kona's probably a little easier to hold than Matsu just weight wise haha! But she definitely prefers the lean...when we get home she does a lean till she falls over on her side or head butts us xP I wish you guys could visit here! It's definitely a different experience i feel like for them at the beach...and since there arent a lot of dog-friendly trails the beach is definitely a good option for her to run free and still be safe from the roads...she doesnt venture off too far which is nice, but still i worry if we're close to the street. PLUS it gets pretty warm, and a dip in cool water never hurts :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • EidenEiden
    Kona seems to be so happy to play at the beach !! <3 And she is so cute !
    Kona is super cute! I definitely see some similarities with Orry, especially in their profiles. They both have really cool markings by their right eyes.

I really hope to take Orry to the coast someday. The only problem is that he's super mischievous and loves to steal (always has...a serious klepto). He steals from other dogs, my daughters, or really anyone who is not paying attention. It usually gets us all laughing, but I'm not so sure how the innocent beach bum would react.

Thanks for the spam!

Leo is a serious thief too. From everyone! And he's so fast it--it happens so quick you wouldn't believe it! (or you probably would if Orry does it!) He figures out what he wants and then waits til his moment and snatches it and runs, tail up in the happy Kai position!

Leo does not like to be held though!
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL! Kona is so sneaky about it too! They like PURPOSELY wait for the person not to be watching, then "MINE" and like you said, tail up super high in the air hehe!

Awe Leo! He's so cute i want to hold him though xP
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • MontanaKaiMontanaKai
    @shibamistress That's hilarious and it sounds just like Orry. He's so bad with it that most of the time I don't even think he really cares about the item. The thrill is in the actual steal. And yes, he runs so fast from us but as soon as he has enough distance he slows down and starts to prance...looking back at us from the corner of his eye of course. Such a punk!

LOL! Kona is so sneaky about it too! They like PURPOSELY wait for the person not to be watching, then "MINE" and like you said, tail up super high in the air hehe!

Awe Leo! He's so cute i want to hold him though xP

Yup, they plot, I think. For objects that he really does want, Leo will watch to see where it is, and is willing to wait hours to get the chance to get it! He doesn't forget!

@shibamistress That's hilarious and it sounds just like Orry. He's so bad with it that most of the time I don't even think he really cares about the item. The thrill is in the actual steal. And yes, he runs so fast from us but as soon as he has enough distance he slows down and starts to prance...looking back at us from the corner of his eye of course. Such a punk!

Yep, there's the "I got it!" prance. And sometimes it's true--I don't think he even wants the thing. He just wants to grab and run.

But some things he's really determined to get. In our house it's my reading glasses and pens in particular.
  • mdokicmdokic
    Sheesh i love our Kais...they're ridiculous LOL. xP
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic I would love to see more Kona pics. ;)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

• mdokicmdokic
    Haha! I'll upload some when I get home then :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • mdokicmdokic
    Okie doke...so this is for you @WhoBitMe, and for anyone else who is interested haha :) Kona is doing as good as ever, and makes me love her so much more and more everyday. Her personality is becoming so interesting as she matures...she's getting less shy and more confident, she is so patient with other dogs (minus when she was in her first heat cycle, she wanted to murder every male around her lol). She is very calm generally, and very lovey, and ONLY wants to play fetch the SECOND we get home. Everyday. I come in, open her pen, she kisses me and then grabs her toy and drops it on my foot. lol.

So here's a few pictures of her at the dog park, flying, playing, and cuddling lol.

Here's her first time meeting a cat :)

And here's a few more random ones...i've come to realize her FAVORITE toys, without fail, are anything with a rope and a ball attached to it. It's her crack.

And these last are really just random...a couple were from one morning at brunch, and the rest are from a fundraising event at our agility place :)

And last one I got of her from last night...curled up sleeping on Nate :)

Sorry there's so many! I just had so many, and these are so random lol. Anyway...I love her. A lot. <3<div class="UserSignature">Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • mdokicmdokic
    AH! And one video I got of her playing fetch, to demonstrate her favorite way of playing. She HAS to hop up on the bed, play tug of war, then go fetch. NOTE the bark every time I throw, apparently she only does this with me, which I can't figure out why she would do, but I laugh every time haha :P

DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    She is so tiny and precious!!!! Shelby slept like that on my chest until she was about 5 months old... Now she's too big!
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL!! Awe Shelbyyyy!! I miss when they were 5 months old and younger...they were SO bouncy and chubby and lovey (and toothy lol!) :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Psh... I don't miss it too much. Shelby got sick at about 3 months and I would worry any time she burped or farted after that that it was a relapse! I thought I was going to lose my mind! I do miss her feet and ears being too big for her tiny body and that puppy clumsiness. :)
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    I agree about the worrying haha...I definitely was the same! xP but oooh yes about the feet and ears!!! ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic Thank you! I love Kona. Those pictures are all so cute! Meitou loves the ball/rope combo toys, too! He's got a tennis ball attached to a fleece tug and a jolly ball with a rope through it that he loves. His other favorite toys are laser pointers, a squeaky whale, a squeaky squirrel, a squeaky pheasant, and the break-dancing octopus (a small Tuffy megacreature toy that I discovered I can spin on its head on hard floors, lol). Bu he liked pratically every toy he has ever seen (including cat toys) And that fetch video was adorable. Meitou heard Kona bark and his ears perked up.

Here is a link to the octopus: http://www.tuffietoys.com/product/T-MG-CR-Oct-S-TG . Though I bought mine at a local pet supply store.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• zandramezandrame
    Nice pictures!

UCSD! I was thinking some of places looked familiar! :D
  • mdokicmdokic
    Aawee @WhoBitMe!! SO cute he loves the same toys!! :D Kona ADORES squeakers as well (although she always seems to kill the squeaker really fast...maybe she likes them because she wants to kill them?? :P ) and BREAK DANCING OCTOPUS?! :D I'm looking into that toy!! I'm sure she'll LOVE it! :D Btw, what breed is Meitou, Im sure you've mentioned it elsewhere, but I just saw your thread for him and he is ADORABLE!!! :D

And @zandrame, do you live in SD?! Did you used to go/go/work at UCSD?! IF so, I was thinking of renting out the Zoom Room in Encinitas for a San Diego NK meetup, that way all our dogs can play together :))
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • mdokicmdokic
    Holy cow, I didn't realize I made so many faces -___-
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Yes to both! I went to ucsd and live/work in SD!

I didn't know there was a zoom room down here, that sounds like fun! My Shiba Kouda loves to play, but sometimes he can be a brat with new dogs. But regardless of his mood, *I* still want to play with the NKs!

And nothing wrong with the faces! :)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Oh cool! I just graduated UCSD and work in SD as well :) Zoom Room is fantastic, the agility classes are great, and it gets ALL of Kona's energy out (at least for one day :P ). I'll post up a thread then around when we want to organize a meetup!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ttddinhttddinh
    oh i love kona!! she is just the sweetest thing!!!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic He's a Hokkaido. :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• MontanaKaiMontanaKai
    Kona is looking awesome!! She still looks a ton like her brother Orry in some of these pics, in my opinion, just a touch more petite.
  • rafatturirafatturi
    Love Kona! She's so cuddly and cute! Love the sleeping on Nate one. Her half bro Akuma might have to send her a present, he knows of a toy she'd like (he also has it, a rope with two tennis balls attached at the end)
    photo 10428883_10202259399228531_564340254_n_zps82bfd9ba.jpg
  • SangmortSangmort
    I LOVE Kona! :D ~
  • mdokicmdokic
    Awwe @ttddinh!! ^_^

And @WhoBitMe, how COOL!! He's SOO cute!! Do you have more picture of him anywhere?? I only saw one...but I could have missed things :P

@MontanaKai haha thanks!! And I think she does too sometimes!! It's cool when you see the resemblance come out so strong in some pictures of all these guys from the litter...super neat :) And yeah, she's pretty petite lol! How big is Orry again?? He looks like such a muscly Kai man :))

@rafatturi aawweee haha!!! It must be their Nio blood in their veins :) ! But if you do that, then she would have to send her half-bro one too!! :D

And @Sangmort, you see her beautiful shiny collar someone made in the one of her under the chair?! ;)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • SangmortSangmort
    @mdokic - LOL! I do! :) Kona makes everything look good! ~
  • MontanaKaiMontanaKai
    @mdokic Orry was 35lbs when I had him weighed about 1.5 months ago. His weight has leveled off since that time though, and my guess is that he's 37 to 38ish now. I still expect him to top out near 40lbs. Like most Kai, he looks bigger in photos. And yes, the resemblances are super cool to see!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic No, that's the only one up on the forums. You didn't miss anything. I have a bunch on my camera, though. I have been pretty quiet about him and I've had him since April, 4th. I've been super nervous to post much about him and upload photos (I don't have an account anywhere, lol). Some of my family members might have posted pictures of him on Facebook, but since I don't use Facebook I have no idea. ;) Some day I am hoping I will post more pictures.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• toshitoshi
    Yay for kona spam. So cute
  • zandramezandrame
    BTW, what park is this? It looks really nice!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Awe @MontanaKai...he's a great size :)) They are definitely SO decieving in photos haha

@WhoBitMe, YES!! More pictures!!! :D

And @zandrame, that's at our private dog park in our community...it's my favorite thing about the place that I didn't even learn until AFTER getting the keys to our place!! :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    Ahh, I guess we can't casually meet up at the park then. That's too bad, it's so hard to find a good safe and clean dog park! I shall refrain from following you home.. at least until we are better acquainted! ;)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Haha! You are totally welcome to come anytime! Where do you live though? Because there are two really great dog parks I take Kona to still, Doyle dog park in La Jolla (the big dog side is my favorite :) ), and Nate's dog park! If you ever want to meet up and have our pups play let me know!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • zandramezandrame
    We are pretty close to Rancho Bernardo. We used to go to the Poway and RB parks, but have had the most success with small playdates. Kouda's favorite game (besides wrestling) is to grab a toy and be chased by the other dogs. But more often than not the other dogs and owners don't like him grabbing their toys! This has led to more scuffles than I like, and likely added to his reactivity - he'll sometimes snark when chased and cornered (even though he initiates it!). So we've pretty much stopped going to normal parks. :(

We once went to a dog park at Balboa Park, right near the bridge. Is that one Nate's? First thing Kouda did was grab somebody's frisbee and take off...

So the ideal setup is somewhere safe and low-key without too many dogs, and preferably toy-free while the dogs get to know each other.

LOL, reading that, Kouda sounds like such a jerk! Does that scare you off? He really likes to play though - we met up with a friend and her new dog a few days ago at a field with drag lines. Kouda wanted to be chased so bad, he started picking up clumps of grass and bouncing around her, but she just ignored him. :P
  • mdokicmdokic
    Awwe no that doesn't scare me off at all :) every dog is different, and there's NOTHING wrong with Kouda!! We can do a small play date though!! And Kona loves grabbing toys and being chased/chasing other dogs, so I think they would get along SUPER! Plus Kona is super patient :) Kona LOOOOVES chase. So if Kouda loves chase, I reeeally think they'll like each other! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ceziegcezieg

That pic is my absolute favorite! I don't know why, but I love how she sits and her expression when she's happy-sitting haha :D
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
    Post edited by cezieg at 2013-07-29 21:16:40
  • mdokicmdokic
    Hahaha!!! I love it too! I know exactly what your talking about hahaha..she reminds me of big bro Motts in this picture :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Motts is Giant Kona: Kona is Pocket-Motts!

:)
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-07-30 07:49:13
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL!! :))
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • thegelathegela
    ahh I finally got around to seeing this!! The video of Kona being introduced to the water is hilarious and SUPER CUTE!! She's so little and sweet!! I love the photo of her sleeping on Nate. She seems like a cuddle bug :) AHH I LOVE KONA!! She's absolutely the cutest and the sweetest!! <3 Where abouts do you live again?? Trying to see if a meetup is possible. hahaha<div class="UserSignature">Hana - 2yr (10-22-11)/ F / Kai Ken / shy, sweet, cuddly, silly, loves the woods
    -------------------
    instagram - gelabot
  • mdokicmdokic
    Haha @thegela! :D OMG, I wish you could have been there in person when I shot that video...we had literally just gotten down to the beach, I got my camera out and started filming her because I saw how curious she was getting, then BOOM! Straight for the water LOL! Way to dive right in, right? :P

And you're so sweet!! Speaking of cute, Hana is SOO EFFING ADORABLE. She really reminds me of Kona in so many ways hehe ^_^

We live in San Diego, CA..where do you live again?? If I remember correctly, I remember hearing Canada...if so, where in Canada do you live?? :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • thegelathegela
    Ahhaha thanks!! Kona's silliness reminds me a lot of Hana too! Maybe that's why I feel so "attached" to her in some weird way. I wish Hana was as outgoing though! We wouldn't be able to go to a beach unless it was isolated/private. Hahahah.

YES her dive in was HILARIOUS!!! Her thought process was confusing but soooooo funny hahahah. So freakin cute.

I live in Toronto, Ontario right now.. but we're hoping to move to Vancouver, B.C. Which means it'd be just a road trip south! :)
    -------------------
    instagram - gelabot
  • mdokicmdokic
    Everytime I watch a video of Hana, ESP when she does her little spaz-out sprints and bounces, I feel the same way! <3 <br />
    Does Hana just get nervous/shy around other people or dogs? Kona was reeeally shy in the beginning...of everything lol. Took her a while until she started actually wanting to go and initiate approaching people (she was quicker to do that with dogs, which makes sense :) ). There are still some men though she REALLY doesn't like...she feels really uneasy around them and I can't find ANY correlation between them all (all the ones she acts this way around). But man, I tried having them feed her treats, let her come to them rather than them approaching her, nothing. I guess I get it, there's just some people you don't like, right? Lol. :P

And ooo that would be AWESOME! Man..funny thing is, my mom is RIGHT in your area right now for work!! And she NEVER travels, but every time she goes it's Canada...I joke with her she should just become a Canadian citizen haha! :P Last few times she was in Halifax (i think...if that's where the Alexander Keiths brewery is, then that's where she was LOL.).

AND if you did come down, you would get to see both Saki AND Kona (and Kona's new baby sister! Still haven't decided on a name though lol...now Nate finally chimed in with a name, and he's NEVER been thoughtful or creative about these kinds of things! He likes the name "Tora" and "Kimber". So now I'm considering those too because I'm just happy he's throwing out names HE likes haha!)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • thegelathegela
    Yeah, Hana is more on the fearful side of the nervous/shyness. The ONLY place she feels relatively comfortable enough to be herself is when we're isolated somewhere (at a beach) or surrounded by trees in a forest (some people walking by is now okay. She used to sprint away in the opposite direction and I used to have to chase her down, but now she will walk around them and avoid them, which is a HUGE improvement. hahaha)
    Outside the house, even when there's nobody outside, even when it's past midnight and it's silent, she is only comfortable to walk maybe 50 meters from the front door? And then as soon as she's done potty she wants to go right back in. hahahha. She's SUCH a scardy cat, but I have since learned that this is who she is, and it may take years if ever for her to be okay in public space that's not surrounded by nature. But it's okay. I love her still. :) (and yeah, sometimes we just have to accept that we can't change their minds about certain things they don't like. SO stubborn that way. haha)

Aww I'm so excited for Kona's little sisterrrrr!! They're going to be sooo bouncy and cute together!! hahah love it!! :)

-------------------
    instagram - gelabot
  • mdokicmdokic
    Awe little Hana!! Who wouldn't feel most comfortable out free in nature to romp around with no one watching!! :D I know I always do ;) but that really is a big improvement, as little as it may seem to some. I think when she feels ready she'll decide to not be so scared of people (just like she did on trail!), and I'm sure there will always be certain situations/people she just does NOT like lol! They really ARE stubborn that way xP

I'm so excited too!! I can't wait for the bouncing LOL! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @mdokic Are you getting Kona a Kai sister? Sorry if I missed this somewhere. :)

@thegela If if do ever move to Vancouver, B.C. let me know, if you ever want to try to meet up. That's only a few hours from me.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• mdokicmdokic
    @WhoBitMe I think I only mentioned it on FB, but I am!! ^_^ picking her up pretty soon...I'm counting down the days I'm so excited lol. :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion