The adventures of Rollo the Shikoku
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Hey again, here is the story of our shikoku as he grows up from the wee bundle of fur that he was when we picked him up. We found out that we could bring a shikoku home the week before Christmas. As it was the busiest travel week of the year, no flights were available. So we set out, bought all kinds of puppy supplies, and packed the trusty rally car for a long road trip.

We made the 15 hour drive from Fort McMurray AB all the way to Chilliwack BC through a couple of big ugly storms. It was pretty insane making this expedition given the weather we faced, but we took it slow and made it in just over a day with an overnight stop.

We went up this twisty mountain road, almost got lost and arrived at the right spot. We met Saki, Rollo's mother and saw the rest of the litter that was still there. i don't remember meeting his father, Yamato. We went inside and met our little man. We fell in love right away!

photo 78CE6658-4CC3-4624-B0D6-95FA0E8657F1_zpsafvx5srz.jpg

Here are a few shots of him as a puppy while he was with Mac from the Akashima kennel.

photo 0B14BDA9-3516-4F8C-8908-7B9AD5302F3C_zpsd5lsgz5r.jpg

photo F1C69ED0-EE74-4A31-B155-CE9B68FFFC74_zpsqlygg7jj.jpg

photo BB6B1571-BBF6-4AD2-A0F2-6D65EA9843B1_zpsdwcymmpp.jpg

We had a hotel just down the hill, and braced ourselves for projectile vomiting, but he was fine. We were surprised. He seemed very calm for what was going on, and he stayed that way mostly.

We hit the road early the next morning, and all the way home we had much better weather, we avoided a massive storm that came just after we left which was great. Rollo was great for the entire two day trip home. Only got sick on a spot where the road was full of rolling curves.

As soon as he got home we had to secure everything. We thought we had the condo puppy-proof but he showed us what wouldn't work. We had to secure the Christmas tree right away!

photo 7529FB56-9E5A-4934-94D5-59E7A59AE123_zpse1v3snxf.jpg

He is very curious, wants to know exactly what we are doing at all times. He met his best friend right away, Molly the sheepdog. They love each other and wrestle every time they see each other. She is a lot bigger than him, but he is now starting to push her around.

We went over to a family member's for Christmas where he played with a big goofy chocolate lab and even met a cat!

He was settling in well.

photo 136791F6-3344-4AAB-B549-27B8F15A549C_zpsip9qy3gz.jpg

He loves his couch.

photo 73769A95-5854-4465-AA30-5CD8FA768D58_zpsl5psazes.jpg

photo 5B017E09-E8C3-421F-9EDC-C3911091CE62_zpsq4tognov.jpg

Here puppy training is in session. He is a great listener when properly motivated!

photo 4F680B34-B713-4B4E-B030-809E50C60FD5_zps4nefs6yj.jpg

And he met Fred, the female lizard. He doesn't like lizards. Or toothbrushes. Or fizzy drinks...

photo D8D503ED-BDAA-42EB-8C80-92A5E56F260B_zps1b5keqn4.jpg

photo D56FBCE4-9FE2-4AD6-A817-502E0E6504F7_zpsemsouvod.jpg

We took him out to pee, and he found $20 buried in the snow. Good boy!!

photo 636E0CE7-DF0C-4E23-A990-A71F7B9A78D9_zpsciavanew.jpg

We had our cousin take a few pictures of him with her fancy camera two weeks ago. They captured how cute he is!

photo 4C83C8D9-D402-4AEB-B8D6-7B8022A677D1_zps6dr6jp9h.jpg

photo C99AF0B2-5116-40BE-99F8-180C1673F865_zpsmm8zqghr.jpg

photo 2836445A-7019-4865-A76F-F9E93DB0BD40_zpsxfecranq.jpg

photo 726320EE-6DD0-4486-82A0-E04952684439_zpszltkn7jd.jpg

photo 9307AD4B-DDBF-4BBC-AD6B-759136C82293_zpsnkq8obqh.jpg

photo 9B026C37-E7CC-4F77-B210-28543B14E9AC_zpsnjoznmew.jpg

That face though!
    photo AFCE39FD-7676-4B93-9597-F49733EFE0B4_zpsx5n78kmz.jpg

We have him in puppy kindergarten and it has been going very well. He is the oldest pup there and by far the biggest. He pays attention so well. During play sessions he has honed in on a very aggressive black lab mix and keeps pinning him to the floor. That dog snarls at everyone else, bites and is dominant. It seems like Rollo goes in to break up the fights and put him in his place. He is great with other dogs, and does play pretty rough if the other dog is game for some rough housing.

Here's a spoiled rotten dog for you.. Though he has destroyed ALL of these toys!

photo 05D1B618-6353-4A92-A759-38C3AF64FF46_zpsv1i1yaqb.jpg

Needless to say we are proud as punch of him, and he has been an amazing little pup to have around. He is quiet, and calm around home. But he loves to play and has boatloads of energy in spurts. We are in a condo, but back onto 26km of world class cross country ski trails. I am working with him off leash deep in the forest, and his recall is excellent. He even started chasing a deer and I stopped him within about two seconds.

He's growing fast. At 16 weeks he's 28 pounds! I think he's going to be a big shikoku.

I will definitely keep this thread going for Rollo. We do a lot of backcountry pack expeditions in the Rockies so he is going to be an amazing expedition partner. He loves the trail so he's well on his way!! I am so excited to see him get big and have lots of fun adventures.
    To err is human, to arrr is to pirate.
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-01-30 21:16:11
  • CaliaCalia
    So great to see an update of him, he's gotten quite handsome already. You wouldn't have met his dad when picking him up since Yamato resides in Ohio (US).
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    He sure has gotten handsome. He's got such a great personality too.

That makes sense, though with the travel and everything we did take in a lot that day. Our brains were thoroughly scrambled after the preparations and the white-knuckle driving we did earlier in the day.
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics. Saya my shiba thinks lizards are for chasing. Your bearded dragon is so cute! :)

She met skinks at the shed and green anole down in Louisiana. she was omg gotta catch it! luckily they're quick so they climbed too high for her..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • yo_eddyyo_eddy
    Nice pics, he is a good looking guy. Yuki is 27 lbs now, so looks like there may be some big boys out of that litter.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Awesome, yeah I'm used to retrievers and have no idea what the normal growth rates are for shikoku pups. He seems to be getting big fast!
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I've met both parents on different occasions and they have a very sage-like look about both of them. I can see that in Rollo's future:).

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• GrayJJGrayJJ
    Oh wow, he's got some handsome coloring :) glad to hear he's doing well!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Glad to hear he is doing well and has adjusted to life with you guys so quickly. :) He is definitely a cutie!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    'Oh, hi. Trouble? Who, me? Nope, this is my new toy'

photo 57716BA1-8825-45DA-8AA4-415CF697022B_zpsaesxojbe.jpg
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    "I need fiber cuz I'm a growing boy, right?"
    Jesse Pelayo

• TheYetiTheYeti
    Haha, or 'there was a white snake, and I just killed it. You're welcome!'
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    LOL the toilet paper picture is hilarious. Rollo is a cute guy.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • emi802emi802
    He's so large already! That last trouble making photo is way too cute hahaha
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I love how rich the hue is on his coat as a sesame. He really got some good coat genes passed down by his parents.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• Kira_InuKira_Inu
    Wow, what a handsome guy he is!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Kira the Cream Shiba

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    He does have very rich colouring. It really looks great I think. His adult coat came in really fast since we got him home. In Chilliwack it was 15C outside the day we picked him up. It's been -30ish here since we brought him home. Poor guy was frozen for the first few walks outside so we got him a jacket. He doesn't need it anymore, he's got a really lush and healthy looking coat.
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-02-04 09:46:32
  • Rolo is a very handsome pup. The last picture with the toilet paper is priceless.

Sounds like you live in an great area for him to run around.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Well I found out he isn't much of a hockey player today. I took him to an outdoor rink right by our home and brought pucks and a stick. He oddly didn't chase the pucks, mostly chased me around the rink while I skated around. He never fell over which was impressive. Then he took a huge poop right on the centre ice faceoff dot. Game on!

He REALLY loves the snow. When I take him into the woods and let him off the leash he bounces through the deep snow beside the trail. It's up to his shoulders. I've had him on a few trail runs and he has just been awesome. He's going to make a great trail buddy!
  • Wow, Rollo is absolutely beautiful! I just love that color on a Shikoku. I can't wait to see more pictures of him as he grows!

Out of curiosity, where did you get the name?
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    My wife is reading a series of books and there is a character in there that has a wolf named Rollo as a companion. Also the show 'Vikings' on the history chanel, the main character has a brother named Rollo. The name grew on us and seem to match his calm personality.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Rollo graduated from puppy k last night. He was a bit of a space cadet for the first half of class but when they set up a mini obstacle course he was great. His play has gotten really good as well. He is able to adjust his play depending on how rough the other pup wants to play. He wrestled with a 40 pound pitbull pup and then got down on all fours and let a tiny 3 pound furball climb on him and then chased her around the room.

Tonight it was -33, -41 with the windchill fcctored in. Fricken cold out there. Rollo had so much fun in the woods tonight. He spent the whole hour and a half walk bouncing through the deep snow. I could only see his ears poking through the snow and his red flashing light.

His double coat has really come in thick and is great for our cold weather. When we got in the door he didn't feel cold at all to the touch, and no snow builds up at all in his paws. He could have gone another couple of hours easily, which is fantastic for a 30 pound pup. Pretty cool as my neighbours big 80 pound pitbull can't stay outside for more than 10 minutes in this weather without crying and coming right back in.
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-02-11 00:14:25
  • mdokicmdokic
    Rollo is such a cute name, and HE is so cute!! Sounds like he's developing an awesome personality and into an awesome buddy! :)
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Here is a video of him when we let him off the leash in the trails. He loves it here, and he always gets this excited when we are in the woods.

Might have to get a YouTube channel, photobucket and Apple don't play nice together because of flash. Video works on desktops though.

Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-02-15 16:17:31
  • emi802emi802
    Dawwww! LOOK AT THAT LITTLE BUTT BOUNCE THROUGH THE SNOW. Too cute. He's so big already! Loving the puppy pudge :)
  • mdokicmdokic
    Hahaha, the hops into the snow are priceless! Like a little deer ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • SayaSaya
    Rollo is so cute. :) glad he is doing well.
    Photobucket
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    He has had some dog park exposure now, two nights ago he met Gus the 7 month old Shiba, and met a beautiful big fluffy Akita who was on her way home. Rollo was running around her legs and she didn't seem to impressed with him haha. He wrestled with Gus and they had lots of fun. That Shiba was no pushover, he had Rollo on the back foot even though he is a good deal bigger than Gus was.

The past two nights he has been off leash quite a bit and has had more deer encounters. Luckily I had his flashing red collar light on, and had to track him down in the bush. He LOVES to chase deer. Keeping him leashed for a little while until we can sort that out. Man can he ever move when he feels like it!

Here are some shots of him this morning. He is so lazy early on a Saturday!

photo 088A6824-ED00-41F0-8D31-78F86CFECDCF_zpsbctzqhsa.jpg

I love that you can flip him on his back and manhandle him, he does not care. He likes to curl up beside or on us when we're on the couch.

Here was 20 minutes later. Lazy bum!

photo BCC7953C-BDE1-4AAB-A557-5EC2C0B4B5D3_zpspqh6fpua.jpg

photo 20A801A6-CEDA-4CB3-A750-B51777B1EF51_zpssvzwgxhx.jpg

• jigzzorjigzzor
    the pudgy face that katsu still has. I love it!!! he's going to be a large and beautiful adult.
  • ceziegcezieg
    Wow! He sure has grown up to be super handsome, and he's so fluffy! :) I love that about Shikokus. He also has really friendly eyebrows/eyelids lol.

That's pretty badass that you do a lot of backpack trail expeditions! I really want to get into backpack expeditioning, both for hunting and for trailing with a dog partner. Have you done much in the past or it's a relatively recent hobby?
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I love getting out exploring the Rockies especially on longer treks. I've been doing it for about 5 years. I've got our gear finally narrowed down to where I'm very pleased with the pack setup and every piece of gear that's in there. It takes a good bit of trial and error to get your pack weight down as much as you can while having everything you need.

Here's me all loaded up. Carrying way more than I needed to here.

photo 1F2760E1-688E-470D-A8A7-0A582309A458-2384-000004E0B5EF70F9.jpg

Pretty wild where we've gone actually. 25k in from the highway, and way above our base camp here. Berg lake trail to mount Robson (highest point in the Canadian Rockies)

photo 11FCCBEF-E1CD-404C-9245-D2486C513D38-2384-000004DFF816AE7A.jpg

We'll be taking Rollo here, to the Rockwall trail in the Kootenay national park just inside of BC. This trail is dog friendly, and it's the longest and most difficult one I've done. I think the shikoku will be a great breed to bring here.

photo IMGP1541.jpg

This is such an awesome spot to set up camp!

photo IMGP1533.jpg

• ceziegcezieg
    Holy cow at that last picture! I can't even imagine waking up, walking outside the tent, stretching, and just gazing out at this amazing scene. I had been wanting to do a motorcycle trip from Toronto to Nova Scotia or Toronto to Vancouver in the Spring of next year, but I think I'll have to do some trekking instead and bring 1-2 dogs with me. I'm going to have to ask you for some tips when I get past this next month of starting new job + rental house hunting + driving over to Brad's to get Genko & Katana (both Hokkas) and then settling them in. There won't be any time or money for gear hunting between then and now lol. Rollo's going to have a blast when he goes!
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Definitely. I'd be glad to pass on recommendations for how we prepare for these trips. Here's one more for you, again from mount Robson, right out in front of our tent. I get pretty excited about planning these, it's hard to describe the feeling of rolling out of the sleeping bag and seeing this. I brought my younger brother and my dad to berg lake, and they are now hooked for obvious reasons!

photo AA2D0187-03E3-4D01-90A6-EBC2E316E6F1_zpssvepkfyn.jpg

• CaliaCalia
    Wow, those are amazing views!! So jealous, Rollo is going to have some amazing adventures.
    Post edited by Calia at 2015-02-23 11:09:34
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Rollo lost his first molar tonight while chomping on his big himalayan chew. I won't miss those razor sharp puppy daggers!
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    It's been a while since I posted an update here, so here is a quick update on our bundle of fur.

Rollo has been doing great, though even with practice his recall has gotten worse. We have moved to using a 50 foot training lead to work on that at the dog park and when out on walks. We don't use it all of the time but I have it in the bag and throw it on for a few minutes here and there to try and work on his recall.

Other than recall he has excellent behaviour. He's grown out of his chewing stage, graduated puppy junior high so far. He's getting big too, around 40ish pounds would be my guess. He is so handsome, and unusually calm for a pup his age.

We had a scare yesterday, a large German Shepard broke out of his fence and was going for Rollo's throat. It's bear season here so I had my big hunting knife and bear spray on me. The owner grabbed the dog at just the right time before I managed to get my knife out. That dog was going for the kill. It was easily the most uncomfortable situation I've dealt with in a very long time. Rollo knew what the deal was, and the Shepard couldn't catch him even though he was leashed. He is really fast thankfully.

He wasn't too rattled as he met a husky about 2 minutes later and Rollo wanted to play with him. My heart was in my throat still, so it was good to see how fast he calmed down.

It's finally spring here, but Rollo has all of his fur still. I'm wondering if he just had puppy fuzz and not actually a full-on winter coat? He was born in October so I have no idea if he actually grew a full winter coat or not. Either way, he handled most of the winter at around -30C with no issues.

We have successfully reintroduced our red shag area rug, and he no longer tries to eat it. He usually hangs out on it as it's nice and soft.

photo ACE4B71D-5BD1-476F-A3B1-352051BDC640_zpszdgybkpr.jpg

Now that it's spring, he can actually spend some time on the patio. He loves to just sit and watch people! He sat there for almost two hours on Saturday morning. He barely moved, just sniffed and watched people walk around.

photo C7B662A2-5E96-4DAF-B482-4FC7937B511F_zps21ydg1di.jpg

Nosey neighbour!

photo 9B975B85-65CB-434E-85CE-65B811F379DA_zpsypdunmm0.jpg
    Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-03-30 18:59:56
  • emi802emi802
    Waaaaa! Rollo looks great! He's getting really big and I have to agree--he is really handsome. :) I'm sorry to hear about that scare. I would've been terrified too. I'm glad he's okay though and not at all traumatized. If he's anything like Katsu, he may have thought the german shepherd was just... intensely playing--which would explain the quick bounce back. Katsu plays rather rough though, not sure if Rollo is the same.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    It was intense. I'm glad he rebounded so fast from that experience. It was not pleasant at all.

Rollo is great at the dog park. He'll kind of trot over to a group of dogs, sniff butts, then play the 'chase me' game. When he finds a dog who likes to wrestle, they play pretty rough too. He is good with dogs that don't play rough as well, which is great. If another puppy is submissive at all Rollo will say hello and then move onto the more rambunctious dogs.

All in all, I am surprised with how well behaved he is. It is such a treat to have him with us!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Rollo is one super handsome guy!

That's scary about that German Shepherd. :( I carry a citronella spray (brand is SprayShield) in case of things like that.

http://www.amazon.com/SprayShield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray-Belt/dp/B0002XKIV6

I've only had to use it once since getting it, but it helped a lot in that instance. But I'm never sure how well it will work on a dog that is particularly intent to harm, though.

And wow! Some of those scenery shots....Rollo is going to be a lucky guy going to places like that.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

Post edited by WhoBitMe at 2015-03-31 01:20:59
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics. Rollo is an beautiful shikoku. :)
    Photobucket
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    The shedding has commenced. I've only had retrievers so they just shed year round. Nothing as crazy as when a dog blows it's coat though. Holy smokes there are so many tumbleweeds!
  • sukoshi_momsukoshi_mom
    What a good looking fellow! Tempts me to get Shikoku (the other Nihon Ken I've been drawn toward.) Great photos, especially the wilderness ones. But the balcony shots make me nervous...

Thanks for the thread.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    He doesn't get too close to the edge, and will not poke his head through. He loves it out there, he will sit and watch people go by for hours.
  • sukoshi_momsukoshi_mom
    Actually, I was concerned about him getting excited and going up and over the railing. Is there room for a fairly good sized wire crate on the balcony (where he could still look out)???
  • CrispyCrispy
    I'm catching up on Rollo's thread! He has a face that reminds me of TK. Who are his parents? Saki and Yamato, I thought I saw? :o

As far as the balcony, I don't think my Shikoku (TK) would try to go over or through a balcony... but my Kishu might. They just tunnel-vision on things they like/see/want and go "KAY. I'M GOING FOR IT."

TK is a little more savvy. He'll bounce around like an idiot for a while or fence-fight, but he wouldn't actually jump over or go through a barrier.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • emi802emi802
    Katsu tried once when he saw a cat, but we (grammar edit) lived on the first floor. Since moving, he sticks his head through it to look out but don't think he'd ever try to go over. He just whines when he sees something he wants. He also keeps DROPPING HIS TOYS off of the balcony. :(... And then i play fetch for him.
    Post edited by emi802 at 2015-04-20 14:07:04
  • KajaKaja
    haha I laugh at katsu dropping his toys off the balcony.

I let Kaja on the 2nd floor balcony, though we have glass panels she can't stick her head or toys through. I admit get a little nervous she might try to jump!! But she never jumps over her ex pen or the toddler gate (so I doubt she would). I mean, this is the girl I have to help up on the couch sometimes haha. I just keep a close eye on her when she is out there.

Rollo is so cute patrolling the streets from his crows nest view, haha
    Post edited by Kaja at 2015-04-20 13:48:25
  • zandramezandrame
    The shedding has commenced. I've only had retrievers so they just shed year round. Nothing as crazy as when a dog blows it's coat though. Holy smokes there are so many tumbleweeds!
    We are going through a spring blow now too. So much fur! Any pics of the de-fluffed pup? ;)

• TheYetiTheYeti
    After taking big tufts of fur from his legs, the shedding has paused. He is dropping a few hairs from his torso but nothing major. I'll send an 'after' shot of him once he has lost some of the thick fur around his shoulders and stomach. He was born in October so I'm not sure if he got a full on winter coat in his first year or not.

He is such a nosy neighbour, when people are on their balconies he just stares at them. He has dropped a couple of his toys from our 5th floor balcony. I might have to install some sort of kick-plate type mesh or grating to stop that from happening.. As for jumping over the top rail, he is way too calm to attempt that sort of maneuver. He's also too big to squeeze out between or underneath the railing. I've never met such a calm puppy. He loves to play, and gets on wonderfully with other dogs but once he is at home he is pretty mellow and enjoys being beside or on top of people on our couch. He is such an awesome guy to have around!
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Well his scent marking has gotten very strong over the past few weeks. We were at an SPCA walk last week and he peed on my leg! He has never done that before. The mayor was standing beside me so it was a little embarrassing! I'm glad he didn't decide to mark the mayor..

Tonight we had him over to the pet store to pick out some new toys, and he peed twice in the store, very quickly.

Our vet didn't want to have him neutered too young but I'm thinking it's probably time based on his marking. He's now just shy of being 7 months old. For you here that have more experience with the breed, when would you recommend having him fixed? I really appreciate the help!
  • zandramezandrame
    Marking, like any undesirable behavior, can be trained against (redirection when you see him preparing to lift). This does require a watchful eye! Neutering won't necessarily fix it once it is established.

There's been some discussion before (of actual research), but the general thought is that dogs need their hormones to develop both physically and mentally, so waiting until maturity at 1-2 years is preferred.

Before that though, was Rollo deemed unfit for the preservation effort? His temperament seems ideal.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    This is a new behaviour, when many other dogs are present or he is in an area where lots of other dogs scents are around (like a big charity dog walk or at a pet store) he has this urge to mark. Before a week ago he has never done this, so I take it hormones are kicking in.

I will have to double check our agreement with Katja bit I believe the neuter clause is in the agreement. I'll be checking in with her tomorrow about that.

I'll be extra careful with him in those situations and work on that with him. Thanks for the info!
  • yo_eddyyo_eddy
    Yuki goes in Monday to get neutered. I had checked with Katja as to when was appropriate and she deferred to the vet. I'm a bit nervous about it but our vet was OK with the timing and his age.
  • CrispyCrispy
    This is a little late for a reply on this, but...

TK marks a lot, TBH. He's a 9 year old male. I think he's been neutered since he was 4-6 months old. I don't remember when his previous owner neutered him...

Comparatively, my Malamute male - who I kept intact until he was 4ish - marks very little. Usually only on walks, where other dogs can encounter his "news".

The balls have little to do with marking, IMO.

Neuter him if that's the agreement, but don't expect him to stop marking because of it. :( You might be disappointed.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
    Post edited by Crispy at 2015-04-25 10:22:47
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    If you are going to neuter him, wait as long as you possibly can after 6 months. There are articles out there that are equally for and against but ultimately it comes down to how much of his intactness you are willing to manage.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• TheYetiTheYeti
    Thanks for the information! He is great in the house. This is a new behaviour and is only on walks until the pet store incident. I'll be doing my best to manage it for when we visit someone else who has a dog, so that he doesn't mark on their furniture or walls.

My vet is of that opinion as well, waiting until he has stopped growing. I'll hold off for a little while and just focus on distraction and positive techniques to get him away from doing that. I'll try that before resorting to neutering.
  • jigzzorjigzzor
    So my advice is to wait, and to give you some insight about what me and emily are dealing with. Katsu is not neutered yet, infact i don't know if we even will do it. Partly because we want to one day see katsu sire some pups and have our own little katsu army. Also partly because we don't know if it will even change him. He marks in the most random spots, he will mark on other spots dogs have marked on before, but sometimes he'll ignore where the other dogs have marked and mark over a spot 2 feet away.
    Also you should check in with katja to see if she would potentially want him to be a stud, He's freaking adorable and i'm sure if he gets an evaluation he might pass to be one.

NOW on to the subject of a slightly older male intact shikoku growing up. Katsu honestly starting to sexually mature quick, at about 4 and a half months old he started to want to mark, he also started to "flirt" with every female dog he played with he also loved every dog male or female, intact or not. At about rollo's age he started to become what I think was competitive. Every male he found he would try to win at playing and every female he was a huge flirt. So at about 7-8 months of age he started to change, and I don't know if it was him being intact, but he started to dislike certain male dogs and he was very likely to get into a fight with intact male dogs. So we started training him not to do it, right now currently he's gotten better with male dogs in general, but it would really depend on the dog. If they don't communicate properly they would get into a scuffle, so in my opinion it's mostly about proper introductions and some hard training. So i can't say if neutering will even change the marking thing, just make sure you find out if you want him to be a stud, and learn about his habits with dogs as he gets older. We know a shiba who didn't change one bit when he got neutered. He ended up being a jerk forever.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Ok so we have decided that we are going to do the rockwall hike in Kootenay national park this summer. We have some great trails with big hills so he has had lots of practice going up and down. We'll do the 56k over 4 or maybe 5 days as its a tough hike.

He's been upgraded from trail buddy to hiking buddy! Picked up this pack tonight, and went for a hike. He likes it! It will be great to have him carry his food, a towel, and a little bit of water on the trek. Not to mention the pack makes him look even cuter.

photo AE51B7BD-15E1-495C-9712-73ED62C812DE_zpsorsfzahc.jpg

photo 3F27041C-A92C-40C1-B1D2-E0B6F2C7972F_zpshvifdoro.jpg

photo CFF77D24-6D26-4EDD-B226-3ACC8EE51267_zpsqwwd7n0j.jpg

Big success. He wagged his tail lots when I put it on him. We'll start putting stuff in the pack a little bit at a time over the next couple of weeks. It won't be long before he associates the pack with going into the woods. He's very smart so that won't take him very long at all.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    He looks good with that pack! Glad to hear he already seems to like it. And that is awesome that he is shaping up to be such an awesome trail buddy. Rollo has such a precious face!
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• TheYetiTheYeti
    Thanks! I'm really excited to get him out there. The rockwall is an awesome trail, it connects to the continental divide trail which does go all the way down south. It's a tough hike but we'll do it in 5 days. I've done it before in 3 days with a friend and it was a tough hike. I'll have the wife with me this time so I won't be in as big of a rush to do it this time.

Next up is to experiment with leash and pack combinations. I'm not sure I want to go with a belly lead as I'll already be lugging a 40 pound pack and don't want a chaffed midsection, so I'll try out a few different types of leashes to see what works while carrying a big pack. Using hiking poles will be a challenge though with Rollo, as he likes to change directions constantly. He's pretty indecisive when walking. I'll report back after trying some different gear out.
  • ceziegcezieg
    Wow Rollo has grown up so much! I forgot how quickly they get to be more adult looking! The orange was definitely the right choice for him. He looks really good in it :)

You're up in Alberta right? Did you move up here for energy related work? I just moved up to Portland with my Hokka and Kai girls, who are both big hiking fans. The next step is a pack, and it looks like the Palisade is going to be what we go with. Do you have a favorite trail or park to go hiking in with him? The rockwall sounds pretty neat, and the Continental Divide Trail is on the bucket list for hikes!

How is Rollo offleash? I've thought about packing with the girls, and am pretty sure it'll either have to be with them leashed to a belt or offleash. That's going to take a good amount of training for leash walking though... as they love to pull and make sudden stops lol.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Yes, I'm up in alberta working in the oil patch as an emissions specialist. It's pretty interesting work. I like it up here, I'm originally from Nova Scotia so it's quite a lot different from the little quaint fishing villages.

Here's the trail system we have in the middle of the residential part of town. I'm right across the street from a trailhead so it's such a great spot to escape into. There are two ravines in here, with 26k of well maintained trail.

photo 9497F50F-B8B7-4502-A284-B863B6EE15C0_zpsrkornc7s.jpg

His off leash isn't exactly great. We have been working with him on a 50' long line lead and rewarding with lots of treats when he responds to his name. The second we unclip him though he makes a 90 degree turn and bolts into the woods. We'll work on him, but the Kootenay national park requires dogs to be leashed at all times anyway, so we'll make sure he is hooked up to us all the time. We may get a halti to keep him from jarring us when we are wearing our big packs.
  • ceziegcezieg
    Right on. I'm a welder and was looking into going up to Alberta, but, from what it seems, there's a lot of red tape for going US to CA, whereas CA to US is easier. Even with my dual citizen papers (process should be done by the end of the year, I hope) there's a lot of craft requirements that are different. Emissions Specialist is a lot less dirty I'd imagine ;)

That's a really awesome trail system to be living near! I have family over there and will be visiting at some point this year. Maybe the pups can all go on a hike together. Ren is really good offleash and Genko is sticky, but we definitely need to work on recall some more.

The halter system sounds like a very solid way to avoid too many yanks. Does he bolt into the woods just to run around or is he going off on his own adventure? I train recall in the fenced backyard and start with a 30' lead, but I've been lucky with Ren. The real experience will be training Genko, so if something ends up working better than something else we can definitely compare notes
    Post edited by cezieg at 2015-05-05 19:35:01
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I'm in Fort McMurray so if you are ever up this far, let me know and we'll get the pups together for a hike!

Yesterday Rollo wasn't walked until around 9, then he ran his first 5k. We did half on the paved trail, and half on gravel/ mud up and down one of the steep valleys. This guy can really motor.

Before I got him out, he was like a Tasmanian devil, doing laps of the living room at top speed and running from one bedroom to the other and jumping up onto each bed. Here is the face of mischief:

photo 26932C88-C1C3-4DC8-A6C9-E7AA979FB09A_zps1p0etjlo.jpg
  • LiaMarieLiaMarie
    Handsome Rollo! He is such a good looking dog. Seriously one of my favorites. If you do decide not to fix him, I bet he'd make some good looking pups with my Shoko... ;)

In other news, I loved your pictures of Kootenay so much that I think we are going to try to work a stop in to our summer road trip. So, expect a pm in the next couple months (we're going in August) asking for insights/suggestions/experiences, if you're willing to share. :)
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Definitely! Fire away, I'd be glad to help. The Kootenay/Banff/Lake Louise/Canmore area is amazing. If you have lots of time and a big gas budget you could go up the icfields parkway to Jasper, which is pretty much my favourite place I've ever been.

There are loads of great day hikes, and many multi-day treks in the area. Hot springs and great food too. We make a pilgrimage from our neck of the woods a couple of times a summer. It's worth the drive and then some.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Last night on our walk, Ducks! He loves ducks, but hates water. He wanted in there pretty badly.

photo D1305BC5-B224-4163-9C25-C466D4885908_zpsgxzxtwvm.jpg
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Last week we were in Edmonton for a few days. We went to a big dog park and our dog who is terrified of water jumped right in the river!

photo FFABA692-B82A-40FD-8F08-A536D40F0238_zpsqsraf5f9.jpg

Here's a video of the game of chase that he played with a few others. He loved his time at this park! It's such a great area for dogs to get their zoomies out.

Here he is after his run around the park, pretty tired!

photo 232AF55C-213D-4B8B-A620-14D6F05B66B4_zpsb34rcpjw.jpg

Unfortunately I think he drank a bunch of river water and was violently sick a couple of days after we got home (it was pretty scary, poor guy). We had an emergency vet appointment to have him looked at. He's doing better with medications and 'easy digest' soft food. We were concerned it was parvo or another serious condition, but our vet thinks it was probably giardia or some other parasite or bacteria. He's back to himself, but boy was that a crazy couple of days!
  • MBeatsMBeats
    Hey next time you're in Edmonton let me know, I would love to meet your furry baby.
  • emi802emi802
    I love seeing Rollo updates :) He looks so comfortable in that last
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Rollo's turn for the cone of shame now. He doesn't seem to mind it actually. Note the hockey tape around the edge of the cone. It helps for when he smashes into the back of your legs. It doesn't hurt quite so much with the hockey tape on.

We try to limit the amount of cookies he gets because of his sensitive stomach. We gave him one today. We made it count!

photo DC4651A9-BC1F-4188-A8D0-F9918C5F20A9_zps3eab9bwf.jpg

He got a new toy and had a massive case of zoomies. He was panting with his mouth closed and tongue hanging out here.

photo 80804EF3-FA5A-4BB3-8483-AA29A7BFE0F7_zpsfq5glrvn.jpg

• emi802emi802
    Rolloooo! So cute :D Good luck with the recovery. I really like his goofy face in the second photo haha
  • yo_eddyyo_eddy
    He and Yuki really do look alike. Yuki never quite figured out the cone dimensions; he smashed it into everything. Thankfully it was soft, so it limited the bruises on the backs of your legs
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I'm wishing we could have gotten a soft cone! I have some drywall repair to do after we get this thing off of him...
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    He's free of the dreaded cone of shame! He seems so happy to have the bloody thing off. It wasn't too bad until the last couple of days, he would get bad anxiety when going into his crate, poor guy.

He's doing great, no issues or setbacks during recovery. He just looks happy in this picture. His body language is different now that it's off, and he has been able to play with his best friend Molly the English sheepdog. I'm glad he has it off, now I can repaint the scuffs and dings in the wall, and the bruises on our shins can heal now. I swear he took great pleasure from plotting into our legs with that cone..

photo C11A3250-9560-44A2-B3E8-F730E9EF3DC1_zpsgpsgb5y0.jpg

• TheYetiTheYeti
    Spam alert!

Rollo had his first dayhike in the mountains last weekend. We were in Calgary to check out the stampede and took a day run into Banff. The weather was amazing. He slept in a tent for the first time and did great! We had him in daycare while we were at the stampede and he had a blast.

Here are a few pictures of the dayhike.

We hit up the tea house up on the plain of 6 glaciers at Lake Louise. The early going was swarming with tourists, but as the going got steep we lost almost everyone. He seemed to enjoy it!

He wanted to get his feet wet in the glacial lake. He fell in once and was not happy about it.
    photo A2D328F3-5FB8-4B5B-B6EC-3407F8448F60_zpscnmpxqyu.jpg

photo 32618440-6679-4455-B6CD-EA1F68207A20_zpsygo6oybs.jpg

Here's a shot of Chateau Lake Louise from across the lake.

photo 8A35F4FE-ABEC-4073-BE35-E62AD2834D17_zpsgezemfce.jpg

We climbed to about 400m above the lake. He was darting around sniffing smells the whole way. He really seemed in his element and was bounding the entire way up the climb.

photo E7770513-6003-4AC7-830E-9DC75A0E637D_zpsbikbhfhf.jpg

Th scenery here was amazing. What a great spot!

photo 1F28B266-9F6A-4A8E-85EB-472D8D8B7110_zpsbhkk5lbw.jpg

We made it to the tea house and had really tasty muffins. It was such a cool place. The staff pack in supplies in the morning and make runs down to the hotel through the day to resupply and bring out garbage. It's about a 6k hike from the parking lot.

photo C946F578-93F1-409A-B514-6DAE75252400_zpslcyivtbf.jpg

The trail went on but we had to go back so we could get back to our campsite just outside of Calgary at a reasonable time.

photo 7DB811F7-5350-43FA-9D9F-4BDD7A4EFFEF_zpsfbwknmgs.jpg

We had water and food for Rollo in some collapseable bowls but there was a chipmunk. This made him very angry.

photo F63F9B5C-E72C-4D18-A19F-D18CAFF84F70_zpss3livyyy.jpg

We headed back to the car and here I am with Rollo. There was an American Akita that wanted to wrestle so Rollo wasn't in a photo taking mood here either.

photo 6E1CDE81-36DC-43A5-875F-EA07325C6C47_zpsro1fimbz.jpg

Here's one last shot of Lake Louise. It's one of those iconic Canadian landscapes. It was worth battling through the tourists to get to the trail at the other side of the lake.

photo B391EF60-F849-4A5C-AE17-FEA845BAFF72_zpsqspuxpsv.jpg

All in all, it was a very successful trip of firsts for Rollo. First time left in a 'free play' doggy daycare place, first few days in a tent, and first time scaling a mountain.

He settled into our campsite very easily in okotoks, just outside of Calgary. Lots of dogs and deer around!

photo 49C3361B-95E2-4C1A-A9A9-A2FC80C69E8E_zpscchuuq7c.jpg

He played hard and he slept hard this trip. He was one tired pooch at the end of it!

photo B436F1D8-8636-4D2D-9D8D-16AB8ECEBA49_zpsfo5vwmwd.jpg

photo CE712533-6E0D-49B5-BBB4-16AB2022B1B2_zpsrlaby8vx.jpg

Post edited by TheYeti at 2015-07-11 18:25:05
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    I see an Impreza :D
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I'm definitely a fan of my WRX. Great car for road trips, especially in the winter here.
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Looks like an awesome place! I want to go~

Rollo is looking super handsome!
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• MBeatsMBeats
    Dope!!! I'm going camping in Banff with the girlfriend on the 24th. Wish I had a Shikoku with me. Next year!

Awesome update!
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Gearing up for our hike next week, I'm excited to bring Rollo along! My wife just got discharged from physio so I've had to find other hiking partners. My dad and brother jumped at the chance. It may be a tight squeeze into our 4-man tent, but luckily Rollo usually sleeps like this:

photo B59D4CC1-BEA7-4ABB-9FBA-334932814354_zpssbfkllcm.jpg

This ought to let us all squeeze into the tent!

He has been carrying the whole weight that he'll need to carry on the hike for about a month now. He's pretty comfortable with the bag on. We're doing the Rockwall in 5 days, so it's about 10k/day. We've got him carrying all the food he'll need, treats, a couple of chews, and his collapseable bowls. We'll carry his water for him as we go as the terrain is fairly difficult. I think he'll do great as for the past two weeks I've hiked in the ravine beside us every day.

photo D45D7DC7-17F7-4F1A-8906-CE04EDE9AE87_zpsvd8jc2lb.jpg

I'm really excited about bringing him along.

I'll post again after the trip with a whole bunch of pics!
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Well we just got off the trail a couple of days ago. What a trip! Rollo did great. He was kind of the star of the show along the whole trail.

He did great with his pack on, I was really impressed with how well the handle on the pack worked.it really came in handy when we had to pick his back end up over downed trees.

Here was the first log river crossing we came across. He wasn't sure of this one so I nudged him across with little tugs of the handle. After this one he pulled me across the rest of the bridges. He had no issues after this one!

photo 9A5325EC-FF48-4303-B749-E787ED445D46_zpsw32og34z.jpg

Here he is taking a drink on our first day. It was really hot so we kept him hydrated. Collapseable water bowls ftw!

photo 7D04F23A-84DD-4078-A15B-E2935412768A_zpsdntb9bvm.jpg

No problems with this sketchy suspension bridge!
    photo 229D2801-AA1E-4288-80B5-633E6E18E777_zpsp7v6nt5w.jpg

After we did the first day of hiking, my dad and brother were cooling off in the river, while I hung out with Rollo filtering water. Rollo was laying down on the other side of a big downed tree fast asleep. Next thing I know, he's in full on freakout mode. He ripped bark off of the log and was attacking a nub on the tree.

photo 2531B8BF-0CA3-41F0-8D0A-EE6957E324CF_zpsisedlgn3.jpg

photo 33E09273-4D65-4378-AD1A-88F4890B099D_zpsv1cl8rf6.jpg

My brother was out in front in the alpine meadows to try and keep him focussed. There were many squirrels around which made it hard to keep him on the trail.

photo 6CC64895-AC80-48A5-89EA-E398736B958D_zpsn4iovhsa.jpg

We all took the bags off after climbing 500m high to the first pass. Rollo did great!!

photo 2FD72557-B9F6-4BEE-8578-2618D848595D_zpsgza4pzcf.jpg

Hard to spot them, but these squirrel things were everywhere!

photo 992B5776-C4E2-49CA-8CE0-5951A94A4CBD_zpsze0mlz4y.jpg

He really loves meadows! I took this at the end of day 2, a 13k day with two passes and a short 300m drop into our second campsite.

photo 82F45966-0CEC-4C58-9D95-081CCE463683_zps2vmz2bqa.jpg

Day 3 had a short up and then a long 700m vertical descent into the next valley. It was brutal on our knees carrying the big packs. We also got stuck in a hail/thunderstorm just outside of camp. Rollo wasn't a fan of the hail so we ducked under a big tree for a bit of relief. We're looking over the trail snaking below us here.

photo BB711C31-ABA1-48D4-921A-D9263556BD54_zpsq13dicmn.jpg

We spent much of the next two days soaking wet which was no fun. Rollo was excited to get inside the tent every day. This was his favourite place to be!

photo 9F4F3434-DC2C-4536-8B7D-E76F49E4FFE0_zpsad21h9fn.jpg

Day 4 was a fun, 850m vertical climb up to Numa pass. Him on the way up. He did not look impressed here haha.

photo 5BF4F2F6-94A4-4568-BBFD-03C6158E5613_zpsi43vwm7p.jpg

Nap time! He would crash and get rest whenever he could. Then he would be full of energy whenever he'd wake up.

photo 81A739E4-5B8E-4324-B10E-86AF0CD09601_zps0fkdhrlj.jpg

At the pass. What a view!

photo IMG_2721_zpslhih8xvx.jpg

photo BC966618-12C8-49FA-8125-5A8C71D018CB_zpsvituxyv5.jpg

photo D41A62D8-EC98-46E1-AE3D-2897A1F279EC_zpso5opekqb.jpg

photo 4C5F8FBA-9653-450C-8AB3-7786BC32BA47_zpsmvqeousj.jpg

Then we dropped down into camp at floe lake, got drenched, then made for the highway the next day. It was a cold hike, especially the last night.

photo D9CF8A63-8126-4470-A1D7-ED15566FE51F_zpskykqyzt7.jpg

This log was beside the trail, but he wanted to climb it anyway to get to the river.

photo 2303277A-461F-45E7-8DFA-F09C4509ACE8_zpspiruvfjy.jpg

We were at my car finally and he passed out while we packed up.

photo 179AD6AB-B4D6-4131-BB80-3B6CA3662AA9_zpsqhfn7w4t.jpg

I was so impressed with him on this hike. He had so much more energy than the rest of us, always jumping around, and looking for squirrels. At camp he dug up two separate beef rib bones out of the ground. It was a good treat for him. We fed him his regular food plus I had some giant cookies for extra energy. He was an awesome trail buddy. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again with him. All in all, he was great!! He was a hit at every campsite. He really liked my dad, followed him around everywhere!

photo 512983E4-09B2-472D-BE02-35F9661ECEB0_zps53jgoumm.jpg
  • yo_eddyyo_eddy
    that's awesome. Looks like a cool trip
  • emi802emi802
    Haha, he does the pretzel. He's so handsome!! Looks like you guys had a fun trip :) How much do you have in his pack? It looks like it thinned down a lot over the trip.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    It definitely did. We kept it pretty light, he carried enough meals portioned out for 5 days, a couple of toys, some chicken liver treats, and four massive cookies. He ate pretty much everything so he was carrying garbage on the last two days. He had super high energy the whole trip except for when he went down for his power naps.
  • is he still a pup? he looks like a teenager... maybe just forever young looking?
  • mdokicmdokic
    That looks like a blast!! Where was this again?? I've been wanting to do some backpacking with one of my girls for a long time now, your trip looked like a lot of fun! :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    This was in Kootenay national park, right off of highway 93 just west of Banff. Started from the paint pots trailhead and hiked to the floe lake trailhead.

Doing the trail is a bit of a logistical challenge, I dropped my brother, dad, Rollo and our gear off at our start point. Then I drove to where we would finish. I then hopped on my mountain bike and rode back to where the boys and the packs were. I locked up the bike and we set off.
  • emi802emi802
    @WrylyBrindle I think he's still a pup. If I remember correctly, Katsu's a few months older and Katsu just turned 1 on Aug 1.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    I'd still call him a puppy, he was born on October 5. He's growing into a pretty awesome dog!
  • MBeatsMBeats
    I want to do this!!! We should do it togethor with both our dogs next summer. Or somewhere like that.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    That sounds great. I'll let you know next time I'm in Edmonton so we can meet up.

Apparently Rollo didn't really think much of the hike. I took the packs down from airing out and was going to put them away today. I guess while I was at work he was mischievous..

He chewed through a waist band, a buckle, and two straps on two of the packs. Looks like I have some impromptu repairs to do. This is totally out of character for him, I can't remember the last time he destroyed anything that wasn't his toy. Little bugger, haha!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    That looks like it was an awesome adventure! Meitou wouldn't have crossed that log bridge at all. He would rather go through the water. I don't know if he would do a suspension bridge either, lol.
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

• TheYetiTheYeti
    It took a lot of work to convince him to go over the log bridge, it was skinnier than it looks in the picture.

I was surprised when he had no issue at all with the suspension bridge. The bridge was even missing a step to get up onto it, and we were going to pick him up, but he leapt over the gap right onto the bridge deck, hauling me with him. It was so neat to see the switch in him from the first obstacle. Then when we got into the steeper valley sections he did very well scrambling over all of the large, downed trees. I was really impressed with how he took everything in stride.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    Not a bad way to spend the afternoon! He even swam, even though the swim lasted about three seconds. There wasn't much left to that stick by the time we left.

photo CA5DCCDD-7127-4692-AFD6-867D23A36037_zpsinhkvrb7.jpg
  • yo_eddyyo_eddy
    Nice. We bought one of those floaty things they use to train retrievers. Yuki isn't a big fan of swimming either, but he loves that floaty thing so gives it a go.
  • KajaKaja
    He looks so at ease!

We've been trying to get Kaja in the water as well. We can get her to go in up to her neck but then she gets concerned and heads back xD
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    That describes Rollo's first 'swim' perfectly . I convinced him to go up to his neck in the water, he took one more step then did about three paddles before freaking out and heading for the shore. He was not impressed.

He was very happy to be lying on the blanket in the sun chewing on the stick.

He is always pretty relaxed, in every situation we've had him in. We got lucky with him! He is such a joy to have around.
  • TheYetiTheYeti
    The past couple of days Rollo has taken a lot of interest in the TV. If there are animals on TV he will listen, look directly at the screen and then tilt his head from side to side. It's pretty cute. I'm sitting here cutting out laminated bits for my wife's class and he's just hanging out watching tv.

photo 204C519F-97F9-4057-9D47-50D99075D5F2_zpscb0xn9v6.jpg
  • Rollo has gotten so handsome and looks very relaxed in all his pictures! How old is he now?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Kira the Cream Shiba

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • CrispyCrispy
    Aww <3 hello, Rollo!<div class="UserSignature">Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion