Kai and SAR

edited November 2014 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
So...Kai people...do you think a Kai Ken could do SAR? I am planning to get into SAR later on and I was wondering about Kai.

Comments

• I know @Heidi has tried it with her kai, not sure of the final results though.
  • @Annandael- You may want to ask "The Walrus" who does the Nihon Ken Blogspot about this. He may have an idea about Kais and their possible use as SAR dogs in Japan. He is also a member of this forum.
  • My Kishu have dabbled I SAR and love it. The group was pretty impressed witb Nami. I haven't had many chances to train with them though.
  • Yes, there are at least 4 Kai in Japan that are certified SAR dogs. They've done quite well from what I hear.
  • My Kais parents are SAR dogs in Japan.
  • FYI, according to some Japanese sources, Shibas have been used for rural SAR.
  • I tried to get into SAR with Sosuke, and he did well at all the searching exercises I tried with him. Unfortunately, the local SAR group didn't want to work with a dog that didn't have a high toy drive. I think they can certainly be trained if the trainer bears in mind that they are not GSDs or retrievers and may be motivated by different things.