Dogs that play inside but not outside?

edited July 2014 in Behavior & Training
Just wondering if anyone else have this issue? I find it quite interesting, I have two dogs that are like this, Shiloh(pugxcairn) who wouldn't play with a toy outside even if I would give him a treat for it so just gave in. And the new rescue Kumatora (Shepherd/AkitaxShar Pei), who is either that mix or some odd street mutt, who still shows some interest in toys but its getting harder to get her interested.

I've tried just working on the retrieve for short periods, but she won't even chase it sometimes, and I know she loves retrieving because she would always chase her favorite ball and bring it back. But sometimes even now she won't go after her favorite ball. I did clicker training and gave her a treat whenever she would at least touch the ball. I always try to change up what toys were going after, so it wouldn't get redundant. Just recently invested in a ruffwear Huckama, which has the treat holes and erratic bounce with captures her attention especially inside. However once were outside (in an area with minimal stimulation like wildlife) she completely loses interest and will ignore the command go get it, and I can't even get her to even play tug of war. I act crazy and get excited, swinging toys around and dragging them along the floor and jerking them like prey, I'll playfully tackle her to get her even more excited and she sees the toy but even then, I toss it and she won't even give it the time of day. Now we live in texas and it is hot but I only try to play during the coolest part of the day which is sometimes when we go to the dog park.

Its a bit frustrating because I view play and toys as a way to do bonding and training, especially since I could be using high value treats like chicken, hotdog or something else in order to train and she has no interest in it. She loves chasing prey animals be it a frog, bird (ducks and jays), rabbit, squirrel or something else. But she won't chase or tug a toy.

Anyone else have this problem? And if you did, what did you do to encourage your pup to know play is fun be it inside or outside?

Comments

• My finnish lapphund is like this and I don't think I can change that. She seems to enjoy playing with me and toys while indoors but prefers to have her own space when outdoors. I try playing fetch and sometimes she chases it but I have never received a ball back when I initiate play outside. She has me all day and only gets a few hours at the dog park so I just let her do her own thing.
    My shikoku is the opposite and likes to relax in bed while at home (she randomly wants to play but it's short lived) but enjoys fetch/other owner & dog related activities outside.
    I much prefer playing outside but I can't seem to convince my lapphund to play games when we are in the yard or park. My lapphund DOES love to hike with me so maybe look into other outdoor bonding activities that don't require toys?
  • @Spitzfever We are thinking if we can't do hunting soon we'll do agility or weight-pull, hiking is another but I rather wait until Texas isn't threatening to go to triple digits to do that. Haha Walking is boring for the both of us to.

Were gonna keep persisting to see what I am missing, at the dog park I can get her to play a bit more than she would if we were at a normal park or the small area behind our apartment. We have a squirrel pelt that she will chase outside. I think she recognizes though to what areas are restricting and non-restricting. For example and the smaller dog park we got to, she doesn't play as much, and will play with a few tug toys, run around, bring it over to me for play. She is also especially choosey with the dogs she plays with. At Northbark, which has a pond, she loves the water there, and is ready to play for as long as possible, she runs around, leaps into the water, ignores tennis balls but will go after her toys and frisbees. Even once we leave the water area she's still that state of mind where she'll just play and do about anything as long as its a tiny bit more interesting.

Its possible the smaller park is more boring to her, but Northbark is more interesting because its larger and more open space, water to swim in and many places to explore.
  • edited July 2014
    Yucca is similar. Loves her toys and plays fetch inside but outside they are less interesting. She will chase a toy a little bit but outside there are better things to do like RUN RUN RUN or sniff for squirrels or kill sticks. She probably thinks she could play with her toys anytime and she has better things to do outside so our play style is different out there. Instead of fetch, she likes to play the "I got a stick, catch me if you can!!" game
  • Both of mine are like this. My Shiba loves to retrieve balls in the house, but outside.. the most we may get out of her is running after it and that it.
    My kai, he will play with toys inside, but outside.. forget it. He would rather watch or sniff around, 'hunt, and do his own thing..

The same is with agility... Ty is not toy motivated when it comes to training. Food, yes. But when I have had instructors tell me I need to get him 'going' by playing with him with toys I just have to roll my eyes, because he wont. Toys are not as fun. The same issue with now training outside in Texas vs indoors in Ohio. They see as the outside fenced in place as a place to 'play' as in get to do my own thing. Depending on his attitude, he may run through a tunnel then just keep on running to the other side of the area to check it out and 'hunt'. He will ignore me until I can either catch him or he decides to come back. Indoors training he was amazing. Well focused and loved it. Now that we are outside... We are still working through his quirks of 'I just want to do my own thing.' But I knew this would be a completely different training environment down here from where we came from. Cant wait to hit up the horse/cattle arenas for trials down here too. Because that will be fun....Yee haw. :D

Good to hear about Northbark and what it offers. I have been looking for a place in the dfw area that has the water to get both used to it (Ty is fearful of water). Texas agility, not sure where you are at.. I go to Debbie Spence in Rhome. I was referred to Elizabeth Armstrong in McKinney by friends in Ohio. But McKinney is 1 1/2 hours away for me. Elizabeth recommended Debbie and then one south of ft worth.
  • @Knichtus
    lol I hear ya! Texas & Arizona heat are not forces to be messed with :)
    Where in texas are you located? I have never done weight pulling but my lapphund does love agility! She is always very tired and confident at the end of a class :D
  • @NavyDog Ah yes the catch me if you can game, I don't necessarily mind it as long as its a tug she has in her mouth and I can grab it haha.

@poinea I live in the Dallas area off of Belt Line, were thinking of checking out the Dallas Air Dogs facility that is about an hour away from where we live for the classes since they offer Weight pull, agility, dock diving, lure coursing, and disc frisbee for about $20 a day. But its $125 for the whole year. Here is the site: http://www.dallasairdogs.com/

Also a word of warning about Northbark, try to go to any area with less people (the pond area typically) we usually got about twice a week to this park and then go to Wagging Tail. The issue is that the area the park is located in one of the richer areas of Dallas, so these people are especially sensitive about dogs that rough house with their dogs. I know this from experience because my dog gets very 'vocal' when excited and when she really likes a dog it becomes even more obnoxious because she wants them play. Some people are fine with it like this guy who comes to the park with 4 huskies and a couple with a ball obsessed bull terrier I talk with. But I got cursed off by one guy because Kuma was barking at a dog swimming, waiting for the dog to come out because she was gonna ask it to come play with her and he yelled at her. The couple with the bull terrier got into it with my dog and we just separated them and chilled out because it happened from too much excitement and they were playing fine afterwards. I have heard of people calling the cops there at Northbark or threatening to because someones dog rough housed a bit too rough with their dog and they were yelling 'AGGRESSIVE DOG!'. So yeah, these people who go to north bark are a bit more pompous. LOL

@Spitzfever Dallas since I'm going to school here. Its a really nice area but still a hard to get adjusted to at times being a black girl and all haha. Its been REALLY humid on top of being 90 degrees daily so we try to go out when it is cool as possible.