Mizore looking for a new home

Mizore is in need of a new home. He is currently located in Oceanside, CA. Before I bring him back to Ohio I wanted to see if anyone on the west coast is interested in this sweet boy. The trainers that were suppose to train him to be the new owners service dog have deemed him untrainable as a service dog. They based this off the fact that Mizore is still adjusting to his new home (arrived there on may 10) and he howls when the new owner leaves him. He has been working on basic obedience with the new owner and has been doing great with that. Mizore has a low prey drive and really just wants to please his owners.

Comments

• I just sent you a message about this on FB, but the people I'm thinking might be interested are, in fact, far closer to you than California (they are in Kansas).

I'm really sad this happened, and regardless, I hope Mizore is soon happy in his forever home! Of course he howls...he's not adjusted to his new home!

(And you know, I've almost forgotten about it now because now he's Mr. Silent, but Leo howled and moaned like crazy in his crate for the first two weeks we had him).
  • If a suitable home is found in another state, I will make arrangements for him. I just want him in a good home.
  • If you need a foster home, I can take care of him for a while. I'm in VA but have family in Indy so I can arrange transportation.
  • Can you provide more information about him? I know a couple of people in California that was interested in adding to their family. If a California Foster home is needed, please let me know!
  • He is 7 months old. Fully vaccinated, housebroke and crate trained. He gets along great with other dogs. He had a low prey drive, avoids conflict and just generally wants to please. He has had no problems bonding with a new owner. The problem is he is howling when left alone right now. He has only been in this home 9 days. The trainers who were suppose to train him to be a service dog have stated they can't because the dog does not want to be away from his owner right now ad they don't want to let the pup finish adjusting to his new home. He would probably adjust quicker in a home that already had a dog. He is out of my Tora and Ritsu who was imported by brad.
  • My first thought - DANG, I want! And I'm nearby! But it's too soon with our crazy Shiba boy. Just not ready yet. (Actually, my real first thought was, that story is crazy! There wasn't enough time to evaluate him for anything given the circumstances...)

Second thought - @mdokic! You still want a big boy?!
  • @zandrame, not this soon. My plan was to wait until Kona and Kimber were at least both around 5-6 yrs old before getting another...I don't want them all super close in age (thinking about when they all are about to kick the bucket. Couldn't handle 3 in a row..2's already going to be tough)...but I know some people interested, calling to schedule a meet to see him :)
  • @zandrame Haha I was going to bug you to grab him!

KumaDude was interested but his wife says no.
    My husband said no :( human child first.

I hope he finds a loving home, sad they didn't give him a fair chance.
  • 9 days? And they're already evaluating? They aren't gonna have much luck with any puppy they get with that trainers methods it doesn't sound like. Even my trainer said it was better that I waited to start my boy until he had been in the home a while and was given time to adjusted to his life.

I'm sure he'll find a much better home :)
  • He will find a much better home. In the mean time I am a ball of stress. I am sick over this. Just goes to show no matter how careful you are and no matter what questions you ask, it can still happen.
  • I wish I were closer and not about to move in two weeks. :(
  • edited May 2014
    that excuse is just as good as "peeing on a backpack"..... Poor guy.
  • If anyone is in Northern California and interested. I have Mizore's uncle on his mom's side and his half sister on his dad's side. I'm in SF east bay and would be happy to introduce you to my dogs. From the sound of it Mizore has his uncle's temperament.
  • @sjp051993 -- I sent you an email. Look for it.
  • He sounds really sweet! My TRD could use a playmate. ;) Kais are my favorite NK. I keep liking them more the more I learn about them. I hope this special guy finds a good home that understands him!
  • @tjbart17-- I will be getting info about Mizore from sjp051993.

When I do, I will share it with both Northern CA Shiba Meetups. Maybe there is a Shiba person who wants to expand his/her Nihon Ken pack...
  • I believe Mizore would do best in a home that had at least 1 other day. It would allow him to adjust much quicker than if he was the only pet.
  • @sukoshi_mom my offer stands if anyone in the Bay Area wants to meet the dogs. Please extend my offer to the shiba forum.
  • @tjbart17-- Will let the Shiba Meetup members know about your offer. Thanks!
  • Ooh I would love to have him, but I'm at the legal limit for pets in my town. :(
    I'll ask around in baton rouge... I know a few good Shiba owners out here who might be interested.
  • Good news!!! Mizore has found a new home. He will be staying in Oceanside near his original owner. Mizore has already gone camping with his new family and is doing great. He has an Australian shepherd buddy now as well as a big fenced yard and a couple of kids to spoil him rotten. The new owners are close friends of the original owner so he will still be able to see mizore often. Thanks everyone that offered to help out with this boy.
  • GREAT!!! Oh, SO happy to hear!!
  • After a very long talk with the original owner today, he never wanted to give up Mizore. The trainers gave up on the pup before he even arrived. The root of the problem was that they did not want to train a dog that came from a breeder. They wanted to go to a shelter, pick out a dog, and train it for him. He even tried to find a place he could move to that would allow him to keep mizore without being a service dog. Mizore is doing great and that is the most important thing.
  • Yay!!! It is sad that the original owner couldn't keep him, but so exciting that he has a great new home!!!!!!!
  • Glad Mizore found new home.
  • So glad to hear that things have worked out for Mizore. :) And that really sucks regarding the trainers. Ugh. Some people just suck.
  • So glad Mizore found a good home! My friends that were interested in him just couldn't swing another dog right now, though they really considered it.
  • Glad Mizore found a home!!

@tjbart17 I would be more than happy to take up on your offer one day ;) I wonder if NK family is allowed at the Shiba picnic!
  • @bootz- The Shiba Party is for future Shiba folks as well. If you want to attend, let Jacey Holden know. Her email: jholden@jps.net

Link to Party: http://www.sfnc.org/events/ShibaParty2014.pdf
  • @sukoshi_mom

Oh i'm attending the Shiba Party with my Shiba but i was wondering if shibaless people with other NK can join. (so i can secretly check them out too!)