TK the Shikoku Ken (Updated 4/20)

Comments

• LOL. Not yet, @WhoBitMe! I wouldn't put it past him, though, honestly. I think he'd to it if he were all charged up and the cats let him. He's kind of dumb when he doesn't know what he's doing.
  • @Crispy I'm glad TK hasn't yet. ;) And I hope I haven't jinxed your cats by bringing it up. Meitou sees my family's cat and it's like you can read the word HUMP scrolling across his eyes like some sort of cartoon. Granted, he does try to play also, but humping is the usual result in Meitou-Cat interactions.
  • @Crispy - you are so lucky you do not have the "Cat from Hell" (AKA my cat!) - I had to separate my first dog only because my cat was trying to kill him :(
    Now, they are the best of friends, and yes, my dog also likes to try and bite him, and play with him--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I love watching the two of them play though. So funny! Once, my dog sneaked a kiss on my cat, it was hilarious! Kissed him right on the face and ran away before the cat could smack him :D
  • Haha, I just saw the cat story, @poltergeist

TK is doing awesome as usual. He's adapting to life with Nami quicker than she's adapting to life with him. :p

Pictures taken by my friend during our hike the other day.

• That looks like it was an awesomely muddy hike. Meitou would be jealous. He likes mud. TK is looking good! Love how happy he looks.
  • TK. Naked, naked TK.

• Ooooh, dramatic TK! He makes a nice hood ornament. :)
  • More TK!

Featuring Yuuta the Shiba Inu and Fionna, of course!
  • TK! TK! TK! :) He's always so handsome.
  • TK accompanied me to take Nami for her first off-leash adventure.

He's a doll. I have never had a dog SO EXCITED to come back to me during recall. I wish everyone could see him as I do when I call "TK!" in the woods or a field. He says "OK MOM! I'M COMIN' BACK! :D"

• Can you get a video of his recall? I would love to see it too! :D
  • I have never had a dog SO EXCITED to come back to me during recall. I wish everyone could see him as I do when I call "TK!" in the woods or a field. He says "OK MOM! I'M COMIN' BACK! :D"
    This is why there is a video function on your digital camera! :-P

TK looks so happy. :)
  • Here's the closest video I have for right now... more zoomies than recall.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202093948653479&set=vb.1330369546&type=3
  • TKKKK! <3 ironically, he's the reason my boyfriend fell in love with Shikoku ken. He saw your video of TK playing in the snow and decided "He's gorgeous. I want my dog to have a manly voice like that!" Then he went into a shikoku research frenzy :p
  • Ehehehe. I forgot about that video. He REALLY loves the snow. He goes bananas for it.

When TK is comfortable - and in my videos and photos, he often (95%) is - it's hard to imagine him as difficult or hard to manage, but he really does have his issues that we've worked hard together to combat and overcome.

He will never be a dog strangers can come up and pet. @Calia, @WrylyBrindle, and a few others have been able to meet him in person and he's really not a stranger-dog. He will bite and hurt a stranger if he's given a chance. All of his aggression is targeted at their hands - he really, really hates hands. I don't know what happened to him in his previous home or why he decided hands were the worst thing and needed to be dealt with in such a way... but even though I post a lot of happy pictures of him and have a lot of success stories with him, it's important to remember who he actually is and what can happen to a Shikoku depending on how they are reared and trained throughout life.

I'm probably just rambling.

I love Peggy and this forum, though. Everyone has been so helpful through our journey together. I hope you guys have a lot of fun with your little guy, @emi802! Don't be afraid to ask questions or find help if you need it - or even if you don't *yet* but might want it! :)
  • Will keep that in mind. :) I think that's something you risk with any dog to some extent, regardless of breed. We're quite excited to meet him soon. Will definitely ask questions when they arise. I feel like I've already found so much information on this forum from just reading through old threads. It's a great resource!
  • What a good boy! Haha, his face when running back to you is SO cute, he's like "i'm HEEEEREEE!" :D
  • This is one of those times where I feel left out because I don't use Facebook! No videos for me. :(

I also have to say I find reading your posts about TK, and London and Nami too, very helpful. I only have one dog, but he is also reactive and has his share of troubles. It's reassuring to see content that shows the "whole picture" of living with these dogs from other people. I am not alone!
  • @zandrame Me, too!

I love TK. Do I say that too much?
  • Aww. I try to remember to upload to youtube. I have too many social media accounts. :(

Thank you, everyone, tho. It can be difficult to keep up with them the way I like to be able to keep up with them, but it's rewarding in its own way and I'm just glad to have awesome companions.
  • TK today!

• edited November 2014
    *heart*
    Those could be post cards. So good.
  • He is very photogenic. :)
  • His tail is great, I like how bushy it is!
  • That first photo is awesome. He looks beyond happy. :-D

And he has a Nola tail! I love the bushy-ness.
  • Everybody wants to touch it. It's pretty fabulous. :p

It's funny - even when he's shed out and "naked", his tail is still super bushy like that.
  • I love the white tip on his tail and his huuuge grin on the first photo! :D
  • My buddy. :)

• Handsome TK. :) I feel like he's getting ready to run in that second to last pic.
  • He was chasing Russell (my Cur mixed breed)! :)