My three killed Possum!

edited November 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
found dead Possum in the morning.
I was freaking out. Can't believe it!
Karin was acting weird, growling to other dogs. and I found the dead possum right next to her.
I'm afraid that this dead possum carries desease.

T.T

Comments

• So all 3 akitas were outside this morning, but only Karin was guarding the dead opossum? Perhaps she was the main one who took it down.

As long as your dogs are up to date on their shots I wouldn't worry about any diseases. Although I do know that you have a new male pup? Is he fully vaccinated yet?
  • Did you take any photos?! :D
  • My dogs have killed a few things. I don't worry about it unless the animal looks diseased. Most diseased animals couldn't get into my fence anyways.
  • yep. Masoto is up to date on all vaccination. including Rabbie.
    Karin is boss out of three. Other two can't go near her when she has her favorites. including tennis ball(she pops it in second) and bone.

I didn't take photo since i'm afraid of those Rats,Possum, kind of animal. I had hard time to throw the body away. lol
  • I somehow posted this in the wrong thread!

If they didn't have scratches or punctures and are current on rabies they should probably be fine. My guys have killed three now. We took them to the vet after the first one (also because one of them messily tore the corpse apart) and the vet told us to only be concerned if we saw injury and/or strange behavior. The only other thing to check is whether lepto is big in your area. It's not huge in ours and we've never bothered with the vaccine, but since the vet had seen it in the area and wild animals can carry it (and the whole tearing apart thing) we did vaccinate them just in case. My two have had a moderately minimal vaccination process and no bad reaction so it was more for our peace of mind than anything else. But at least for us, it was the right call since they killed two more after that initial incident.
  • Parasite treatments up to date?
  • what is parasite treatments?
  • Opossums are one of the only small mammals that are NOT rabies carriers.
    So other than infections from bites there really isn't that much to worry about, but do make sure that you check everywhere for any possible injuries since the small punctures are hard to see