who likes to go hunting with their dog!

edited October 2013 in Other Breeds
Just interested. My dog ambushes anything she can eat, so I think she'd be good at hunting coypu, beaver, bobcat,rats,etc.
What do you guys hunt? Or what would you like to hunt. My dog also pulls scooters and people. Also my dog is a laika mix I think.

Comments

• I hunt squirrel with my Shiba and plan on getting a turkey or two this fall with. I'm training my Hokkaido pup on furbearers like fox, coon, and bobcat, but will also use him on squirrel, turkey, or smaller gamebirds if I can.
  • I hunt ruffed grouse with my kai kens.
  • Me dog just got loose and brought back a rabbit!
  • I hunt wild boar with my Kishus.
  • Do you shoot them or do the dogs take them out?
  • I shoot them
  • Yeah I guess it's kinda harsh to just let dogs maim them. And I think you need more than 3 kishus to kill a boar.
  • Yeah I guess it's kinda harsh to just let dogs maim them. And I think you need more than 3 kishus to kill a boar.
    It's also incredibly dangerous for the dogs and not very human for the boar. Allowing dogs to take down an animal is a slow and painful way to go, will bring forth more legislation against hunting in general, and makes for less useable meat.
  • Yeah I agree it's painful for the boar and the dog. It's better to just end it quickly.
  • The safest way is to use a knife. It's safer for the dogs and the boar dies much more quickly and consistently. Unfortunately using a knife to dispatch a boar is illegal in California so I use a 30-30 rifle.
  • I know right! At least you guys don't have to worry about big coyotes out there, on the east coast a big coyote killed a great dane.
  • I'd like to get into hunting. My brother wants to start hunting bear and I believe bear is legal to hunt with dogs in Maine and Vermont (ME I'm certain about, but I'm a little fuzzy on VT). I'm not nearly educated enough to hunt bear - nevermind with dogs.

I'd like to start like @WrylyBrindle has on grouse, but my Shikoku has shown more drive to retrieve than to flush, so I'm considering duck with him instead. Everything just seems like a really BIG learning curve and a big time investment while I'm a FT student and FT worker, so I haven't gotten into it yet.

On the coyote story...
    I don't remember anything about the coyote being any larger than normal. I'll have to find the article. I do remember that the coyote only got two bites in. One of the bites was nasty and punctured an artery(?) in the dog's leg. What I remember from the article was that the family actually opted to put the Dane to sleep when they got to the vet.

The only reason I had made note of that attack was because everyone was SO hyped up about the fact that a coyote killed this "GIANT" dog like it was a battle to the death, when really, it was the family that had the dog PTS due to the dog's pre-existing health conditions and "complications" that could have occurred. Still a very tragic story. :(

There was something else about that article that bothered me, but I can't remember what without reading it again.
  • VT allows bear hunting with dogs. We even have a bearhound assoc. http://www.vermontbearhoundassociation.com/
    Generally this is pack hunting with trucks full of hounddogs.

Eastern coyotes are larger than western coyotes. It is believed that they crossed with wolves while on the way here thru canada. This guy on Cape Cod has been researching coyotes for a while now http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/

Still they aren't wolves or humongous, they are just bigger than western coyotes. :)
  • We want to get into boar and deer hunting with our kai
  • I know that, they're just more dangerous imo to dogs.
  • Since many of the coyotes I've seen out here are quite large...some are GSD sized....I can't imagine how much bigger the east coast ones are. all of the ones I've seen here are at least bigger than a Kai...

the coyotes in Alaska were quite large too--big enough that you had to be paying attention to tell the difference between them and wolves. Looks wise anyway--behaviorally they are different, and wolves are not commonly seen, of course, but the AK coyotes are also large.

Not saying eastern coyotes aren't bigger...that's what I've read too...but it hasn't fit with the actual coyotes I've seen, which tend toward the larger.
  • Last time I saw coyotes was in ohio, several years ago, bigger than a kai but not GSD. Probably juveniles to be in such a popular area mid day. Not to say my experience is the norm but isnt the average coyote between 45~60 lbs?
  • The coyotes I saw in my yard (Washington) before I put up the good fences were Kai size and slightly larger.
  • Saw some coyotes running around about six months ago near (funny enough) Los Coyotes Diagonal, a street that cuts diagonally through multiple towns and has a "river" (giant and usually dry concrete ditch) that runs with it that wild things live in.

They were about the size of Gojira, I'd guess 21-22" at the shoulder and 50 lbs.
  • I suspect that there is a wide variance in size, actually, and I'm also starting to notice that there's not as much info. out there about coyotes as I would have thought. A lot is kind of general info. Like some people say they don't form packs, and others do (like the researchers on the Chicago land coyotes say they do form packs). The little female I saw up close could have weighed about 40 pounds (what Leo weighs) as she was lean but not skinny, but she was taller than him. The big male was significantly larger (GSD sized, but not like a huge GSD...could have been 60 pounds or so, and was tall and rangy), and there was another one I didn't get a good look at that seemed in between the two in size.

And also, now, I've run into a couple of other NM people (and some in another state) who have had problems with three coyotes--one they see right away, then they realize they're being tracked by two others....I wonder if it's just something they do?

What I do know though is they can easily take down large dogs, because they don't fight one on one. Three on one can do a lot of damage. The bigger dogs out here that are killed by coyotes are killed by groups of coyotes....

I read somewhere that they tend to hamstring animals, so they probably try that with dogs too. Perhaps that's even the hunting thing I saw....the one out in front luring the dog in, and the other two coming in from behind.

Anyway, I tend to think there's probably a lot of different coyotes out there, and I wonder if there's just not really that much information available on them....
  • We have a major Coyote problem here and our yotes can average the size of a female Kai. They eat cats and dogs all the time also. On too if that we also have a major mt lion problem. Ca banned lion hunting so we have had a steady increase in the lion population.

This past weekend there were several lion sightings by deer hunters as I was also stalked by one Saturday early morning. Didn't see the big cat but on my way out there were huge lion prints right behind my boot print in a dirt road. Not sure if I'm correct but we may have the highest lion attack cases in the nation.
  • We've seen coyotes twice this week while out walking Kouda in urban SoCal. Single ones both times, as far as we know.

First one was around 7pm, and we saw it when it crossed the street ahead of us in front of a car and ran into some bushes. We decided to also cross the street and head home through a well-light shopping center rather than up into the dark street of houses. Once we crossed, I saw it had come down alongside the perimeter of the center and was about 15 feet away from us. I shined a flashlight at it, and it backed away and crossed the street again in front of traffic and headed toward a 6-lane street.

Second one was a few days later around midnight, when we had reached the end of a block, and were heading back home after picking up Kouda's business. I saw movement across the street along an empty lot. Sure enough it was another, or the same, coyote. It was looking in our direction as it ran along the sidewalk, and I could see it's eyes glowing with my flashlight. It started crossing the street to the far corner from us while a car turned towards it. We could see it fully in the headlights. We turned and briskly walked away, while looking back. It crossed the far street again and came in our direction and ran up a little hill on the opposite side from us. From there we did not see it again.

Since then we've been carrying a pair of Arnis/Escrima sticks, capable of doing decent damage, but also make a good sound when hit together. Talking with some of our neighbors, we learned our next door neighbor has seen some in the area directly behind our house. (This is scary because we used to take Kouda out there at all hours of the night as a potty training puppy!) Another neighbor said their small terriers where mauled through their fence a few years ago. And another said a woman recently was walking her small dog and was ambushed by a coyote on the same street we saw the first one.

I'm still learning, but what I've read about coyotes so far is their size can vary greatly, probably because of breeding with other canines. I would hypothesize that the larger mixed ones would be more likely to form packs, but the standard coyote is more often alone or in pairs. They are known to try to lure loose dogs away with them to potentially kill in a group. (I also learned that they like to poop on sidewalks and trails, as a way of marking territory. Makes me think twice about all the poop I see.)

This video is interesting. If that is a full size Rhodesian Ridgeback, that is one huge coyote. Beautiful though. It almost seems like normal play except how the coyote keeps trying to get the dog to follow it before finally slinking off.

Some similar videos

• I'm sorry but what? German shepherd sized?! Coyotes typically grow to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg).[3][12] Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74.75 pounds (33.91 kg) and measuring 1.75 m (5.7 ft) in total length.[13][14]
    The coyote's dental formula is I 3/3, C 1/1, Pm 4/4, M usually 2/2, occasionally 3/3, 3/2, or 2/3 × 2 = 40, 44, or 42[15] Normal spacing between the upper canine teeth is 29–35 mm (1.1–1.4 in) and 25–32 mm (0.98–1.3 in) between the lower canine teeth.[16]
    Dentition
    The upper frequency limit of hearing for coyotes is 80 kHz, compared to the 60 kHz of domestic dogs.[17] Comparable to wolves, and similar to domestic dogs, coyotes have a higher density of sweat glands on their paw pads. This trait, however, is absent in the large New England coyotes, which are thought to have some wolf ancestry.[18]
    During pursuit, a coyote may reach speeds up to 43 mph (69 km/h),[19] and can jump a distance of over 13 ft (4 m).[3]
  • edited October 2013
    And German shepherd Height: Males 24 - 26 inches (60 - 65 cm) Females 22 - 24 inches (55 - 60 cm)
    Weight: 77 - 85 pounds (35 - 40 kg)
    Since many of the coyotes I've seen out here are quite large...some are GSD sized....I can't imagine how much bigger the east coast ones are. all of the ones I've seen here are at least bigger than a Kai...

the coyotes in Alaska were quite large too--big enough that you had to be paying attention to tell the difference between them and wolves. Looks wise anyway--behaviorally they are different, and wolves are not commonly seen, of course, but the AK coyotes are also large.

Not saying eastern coyotes aren't bigger...that's what I've read too...but it hasn't fit with the actual coyotes I've seen, which tend toward the larger.
    Also, coyote may crossed with dogs and have longer fur. What state do you live in?
  • You need some wolves in CA to kill the coyotes and the cougars
  • edited October 2013
    Gathering from the wordvomited data with a lack of what your gathered conclusion was from it other than "what?" That you are disbelieving that coyotes could become GSD sized yet it was you who initally brought up the point that eastern eastern coyotes run larger.

Your data states before all of the the measurements that that coyotes typically stay within a range. Again like dog breeds its an average trait. So there will always be exceptions. I believe @shibamistress did infact see a GSD coyote and as she states there is a surprising lack of indepth data on on coyotes, especially in recent times.

So if you made those posts to express how aghast you were at the size of her local coyote pack so be it, they are probably one of the top predators in her area but I wouldn't discredit the possibility of large coyotes unless you have done the accurate population studies on the different regional specimens.
  • I believe someone here on the forums has a kai that's GSD size so its possible for coyotes to get that size to. Genetics isn't linear. It's more like a wibbly-wobbly ball filled with stuff (wonder if anyone will get that reference). You can't say that if dimension x is bred with a dimension x then the outcome will always be dimension x. x plus x could equal X because the DNA could contain genes that weren't seen in the parents. An indevidual coyotes genetic makeup could carry a recessive gene, genetic deformity or it could have genes from a dog being bred into its lines at somepoint
  • edited October 2013
    I agree with @cdenney... On the east coast there are many scientifically documented cases of larger coyotes that are similar in size to a GSD, weighing between 65 and 90 pounds.

As for @tarokun - You keep asking a lot of personal questions to forum members where we know absolutely nothing about you. Why not post a proper introduction allowing us to get to know you?

Edited: Holy bad grammar Monday!
  • I hunt with my dogs, as much as I can. No so much my NK tho, but eventually that will change. My best hunting Kai are females and are always in heat or have puppies... I'm looking forward to retiring and spaying them so so we can hunt more.

The Hokka pups are at the vet now getting their rabies shots, so I'll start getting them out in the woods with me this weekend. :)
  • About Coyote, in Taos Blue's (RIP) favorite job was to kill Coyote.