imageDSC_1185" />
imageDSC_1183" />
imageDSC_1186" />

Comments

• imageDSC_1291" />
    imageDSC_1292" />
    imageDSC_1298" />
    imageDSC_1294" />

hello every one and good week , the judge said to me that she has a puppy coat but the hair in her head is long and the hair inside the ears should not be there .
    dose any of you guys had anything like that ? if you know about any thing about it I would like to hear what happened with the pup
  • If her sister is a long coat, she could be carrying the long coat gene, which might explain some longer hair.

I don't know what others - who may have more experience than I do with this - think, but I can usually only "suspect" a dog is carrying long coat by looking at their tail in an adult dog. Dogs carrying long coat look nearly standard, but have a fuller/plushier coat.

She's looking very nice. :)
  • You keep asking if she's a long coat and keep not listening when people tell you she is not.
  • edited October 2013
    Just a note: you might want to resize those photos. I'm having a lot of problems even getting them to load and I have broadband. They are super big and really slow down loading of the thread. (forum did finally resize them, but it really slows things down).

She's super pretty and is not a long coat....BUT....the hair around her face/ears is not standard either. It does look somewhat longcoat around the face, though the rest of her is for sure not. I kind of see why're asking now...there is something different about the length of the hair and the way it sits around the face/ears.
  • yah, the hair is long around the face and ears.
  • So did you saw anything like my angel ?
  • Why not wait until she sheds her puppy fur and grows out her first adult fur? ;) Then you'll know for sure.

Here's my long-coated Poongsan with her puppy coat (12 weeks) and then after her first shed (5 months).

• hmm she has long coat gene i guess. but she doesn't look a like long coat. wait till she changes coat and see.
  • Or just do the DNA test, as was suggested before as well.
  • There is no vet in israel that do the test so i trust youe experience and knowledge
  • You don't need a vet to do it. The kit arrives in the mail, you do it yourself, then send it back.
  • You have no way to know from her pic i mean the body is fine but the head is not standard what dose it mean ?
  • If you're referring to my dog, I just shared the picture where I was sure about the long-hair. The rest of the coat caught up later. (Longish but softer in texture.)

Is there a reason why you must know about your dog now instead of waiting it out? Like a breeder contract?
  • I want to take her for shows , the breeder himself don't know what kind of coat she is.
    I guess you guys might know. because I read that sometimes when they change their coat it become shorter , dose it really happen ? she has long coated ant short coat brother and it seems that she is in the middle
  • edited October 2013
    how do you and your breeder determine long coat akita? also your breeder should know this since he is BREEDER. he/she supposed to tell you what kind of akita that they are selling to you.
    Before you showing your dog, you should study more about the breed. and make sure you have show dog on your hand. regardless long or short hair, you should do your research first before you show your dog.
    Your dog can be long coat or short coat. it will show when he grow up. there are some show dogs has longer coat than other akita but it's fine as long as it shows their body shape and their head.
    I'm not trying to be mean but this conversation doesn't make sense.
    You are showing your dog, means your breeder's stud and dam should be somewhat show quality, means your breeder has experience showing akita, but he/she can't tell you exactly if your dog is long coat or regular.
    I understand that you are curious and as your pic, it is kinda in the middle.
    But thing you have to know is there are short hair akita, regular coat, long coat. and it can be in the middle. Judge or breeder can determine it by looking at it and check with standard. looking at your pup's body, he is not long coat akita for sure. he has longer hair around his face but I think it will go away after his coat changes.
    Hope this help and good luck with showing your dog.
  • thx and my breeder told me that in the 20 years that he have the breed he never seen a pup like angel , her both parent are champion and beside angel the best akita in Israel are is I showed her few days a go and she got very promising and 1 pup , but steel no one can tell me for sure about the coat length
  • hmm. so he is rare one. I think he will grow it out. hair will be normal when he gets older.
  • I don't know, but it seems unlikely to me that they would grow out of a type of coat. I could imagine it would happen the other way--short coat getting longer as they outgrew a puppy coat, but.... The only time I've seen that look on the ears has been in a long coat...except the rest of the dog is not a long coat. It could be, though, that the rest of the coat will get longer--I don't know, I've never had a long coat, and I don't know how evident the coat length is as a puppy, or if it develops, but I do know that when I've seen small puppies that turned out to be long coats, I couldn't tell, myself, except by the ear hair. But I'm not a breeder.

If the breeder has this much experience, they should be able to tell you if the dog is a long coat or not, if they are being honest. Or there is a test for it.

It has nothing to do with whether the dogs are champions or not. It's genetic--they (or one of them) either carries the long coat gene or doesn't.

It does seem like it might be useful for you to get more familiar with breed standards and perhaps other genetic issues in the breed, ESPECIALLY if you have any idea of breeding somewhere down the line. Your breeder, who should also be your mentor, should be helping you with this.
  • As i said he help me a lot but as i said before ahe is in the middle her bodt coat become shorter but tge back of the legs and the face dosent so i dont know , the longest hair on her is 2 inches . Any way is it normal an hair on the dace and inside the ears there is a chance that he will come off , and how long dose it take to the coat to.change to an adult coat
  • Mine were around 5-6 months of age when the puppy coat started falling out. So it looks like you'll know soon! :-)
  • Post her picture after couple months. we can check and see if she is long or short.
  • edited October 2013
    photo _1_1_zps9e198bed.jpg

Look at this one. this look like has longer hair than other AA. but still great looking and I don't think this will considered as long coat. I actually prefer this length than other AA. JA also has regular coat and long coat. also short coat.
    Hope this help.
  • the length in the picture is standard for ahowa or not ? it seems that she gonna be at this length becouse the long coated one dont get a breeding license
  • edited October 2013
    the length in the picture is standard for show or not ? it seems that she gonna be at this length becouse the long coated one dont get a breeding license
  • The dog in tbe pic is for shows ?
  • Im sorry to.ask all the time but i was told that there is somsthing that cold coating can you please update a photo ?
  • Angel start to shade to a really short hair it starter on her back legs and stop for few days .
    Do the hair inside and on the ears shold fall to and why she the a
    shade stop ?
  • Isn't the feathering around her head a default in the ring? I have seen all variations of long coat from slight feathering to hair dragging the ground. I would recommmend you just do a little research. My initial thought was she is a long coat. I don't think it is required a long coat have long fur all over. Do an image search on google for long coats, it will pretty much tell the story.
  • edited February 2016
    I know no one has posted to this thread in quite some time. But @timkim do you or someone you know own the dog in the picture. He is beautiful and an unusual color I think. I see no white on him except for the tip of the tail. My husband and I have a bet on how much he weighs. Without knowing the height of the woman in the picture it's had to judge. He looks HUGE! I actually prefer the darker AA's. My husband is the one who likes the fawn's. He picked Dachi out.