How to get Mika to stop guarding me

edited July 2013 in Behavior & Training
I need a little advice.

For those of you who don't know me, I have a 4 year old male Kai Koda and a 14 month old female Kai Mika.

Over the last couple of months Mika and I have gotten really close. Koda injured himself and unfortunately had to have surgery. Before that, she was very close to him. I would say he was her world. But with him down, it was just her and I. She's bonded with me more than Koda now. Which may be temporary as he is back up and off restrictions.

But for now she is resource guarding me. If another dog walks up to me she growls and goes after them. Nothing too serious, but not a behavior I approve of. I can control outside dogs, but now she's started doing it with Koda. This is where I draw the line, and she knows that this behavior means I ignore her. She gets no reinforcement from me.

Has anyone had any experience with one dog not wanting the other one near you? Koda is the sweetest dog, and this would never cause a fight because he's very sensitive to her needs and boundaries. It's just well excuse my frankness but asshole behavior that I don't want to see from my cute little girl.

Any advice is welcome. :-)

Comments

• When she does it, walk away from her.
  • I do! Mika is the cutest dog, but she's very confident and she knows what she wants. The reinforcement comes from Koda who backs up and Mei who cowers to her.
  • Lol I just got two messages on fb about giving Mika to someone else, rehome her. Let me just say it's not that serious and I love my Mika Monster just as much as I love Koda. She gets me through the tough days with Koda. She makes me smile and laugh while Koda's health issues can make me very depressed.

That got me thinking though. Maybe I do reinforce her tough girl behavior because she's my little girl and she's so cute.
  • What about time outs? Remove her from you, Koda, and the area she was being an a-hole in. Had a similar issue with Tetsu and Miyu, and time outs has helped get the point across.
  • edited July 2013
    Really? People have said that? That's a bit much...

How about walking away from her and giving Koda attention? Maybe this might enflame the problem, but it seems to work with Goro and ChoCho when Goro is guarding toys, chews, or the bed. If he growls over a bone I have him drop it, give it to ChoCho for a minute and then return it to him. When he guards our bed, I have him get off and put ChoCho on it. He seems to have caught on that when he guards something the opposite thing from what he wants happens.

Also when ChoCho get protective over me while I'm at my sister's house I break up the tension by have all the dogs (including my sister's dog) do tricks with me. The whole taking turns when taking treats and praises has helped them get along.

Anyway, hope something in here helps.
  • @calia I haven't been on real NKforum in awhile I like the new sig

@tjbart Sachi has only done that with me with my parents dog. I would have a fun game of watch me play with koda and not you everytime she does.
  • @Hinata23 I think one was joking and the other was wishful thinking. Lol

I've tried the giving Koda attention and not her. Mostly because Koda is sensitive and I coddle him. It didn't work. She just looks at me blankly. But her reaction stays the same the next time.

I actually need to try time outs but it hasn't seemed like I could put her anywhere but her crate given the location. Also if I grab her collar, I'm afraid she will displace anger and go after him. Mika does not do well with physical or spacial pressure. She goes on the defensive when she feels any pressure.

She also guards me when I'm asleep and it wakes me up. I'm not the best at waking up quickly to deal with it.
  • Akuma resource guarded me a lot from other dogs. I would just keep him moving so nobody could stop and glare at each other, and walking away helped like Brad said.
  • Ok perfect example.

I'm sitting on the couch and Mika comes and sits on my lap. She's like a cat. :-) I hold her and rub her belly. Koda was napping in the bedroom. Then Koda walks in the living room and Mika jumps up to growl. I let go of her and walk into the kitchen. She stops immediately. Koda walks into the living room and lays down. Two minutes later she walks over, kisses Koda, and lays down with him. There's no argument or hard feelings. I'm out of the equation and all is good.

My problem is still the reaction.

PS this gets really bad with Mei coming up to me but we don't live with her so right now I want to work on the Koda situation since I can completely avoid the guarding me from Mei.
  • tmdtmd
    edited July 2013
    How about trying to give Mika a treat right before she jumps up and growls? Then the approach of Koda is a good thing. Timing would be everything her though, you'd want to reward the calm right before the guarding, not the guarding itself.

It would be a tricky bit of business and might be better with a professional trainer as a guide, but if you're able to catch Mika right before it escalates you could change her feelings about you + Koda and eventually you + other dogs.

Check out this Dr. Sophia Yin video which talks about counter-conditioning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI13v9JgJu0
  • edited July 2013
    Huh. I was thinking only negative punishment. That's intriguing. I wonder if I could get that timing right. I'm about to get all hardwood floors so pretty soon ill hear Koda coming in.
  • Also the changes in our home have been Koda in an expen for ten weeks and then me in Italy for two and followed by our home flooded and living again at my parent's house for the last weeks. Essentially the past fourteen weeks of Mila's life have been going from one place to another, Koda taken away, and then me taken away, followed by being displaced again. It's been a lot for all of us. Even I feel like I can't believe I'm finally home for now.
  • iPhone misspellings lol
  • Ok so you gave me what I hope is a good idea. The one time when Mika doesn't care about me loving on Koda is when I come home because I always have paid attention to both of them when I get home. So new idea. When Koda walks in, I get on the floor and love on both of them at the same time.

I just tried it and it worked. Let's see if I can continue it and associate Koda walking in with everyone getting love like when I come home.
  • I don't have any more answers (other than things people have already suggested) but it is interesting, and we have a similar problem. Oskar will occasionally resource guard me or guests that he is super excited about. It's also not a huge problem because he doesn't do it all the time. But he is big, and it can be alarming (esp. to guests!) to suddenly have a giant Akita snarling near you because he's trying to guard you from the other dogs!

I walk away, and I also make the "aah aah aaah" sound when he does it. Usually that's all we need, but with guests, I've sometimes just got the other dogs out of the way, which I realize now probably reinforces his behavior. Luckily, it doesn't happen very often, and last time people came over, I had separate reintros for everyone, with Oskar coming down last with no other dogs. Once he's over the initial excitement, he doesn't do it anymore. (the last time someone came over though, it was our friends who also often housesit, and he was so excited he peed! He hasn't done that since he was a puppy!)

I know you can't really do that with Mika though, so I guess getting up is the best strategy? And I do like your idea of giving them both attention, too, so it's a good thing.
  • @tjbart17 awesome, I'm glad you were able to think of a way to keep it positive! It's so weird sometimes what it takes to communicate with our dogs, but I also find it really rewarding when we successfully do. Keep us updated, I'd love to hear what works and what doesn't going forward since it could help myself or others someday. And don't get discouraged if you get the timing wrong or this doesn't turn out being the solution. Based on your obvious love for your pups, I'm sure you'll work through this in no time.
  • Thanks everyone! With Mika I'm trying to keep it all positive with no negative punishments but she challenges me daily. Lol
  • I'm not against negative punishment (where you take something away the dog desires when they behave in a way that you don't like) not to be mistaken for positive punishment (corrections, alpha rolls, etc. which I'm generally against), but you should replace that behavior (via positive reinforcement) with something else otherwise they will do it for you and that replacement behavior won't always be what you want.

Here's an example to teach loose leash walking via negative punishment and positive reinforcement (takes a lot of patience, but it works in most cases):
    -Dog pulls heavily on leash during walks. This is because it wants to get somewhere, smell something, see new things.
    -Every time the dog pulls at the very end of the leash, stop walking. The dog wants to go somewhere and is pulling to get it, you've removed the reward of getting to go somewhere hence negative punishment.
    -The second the dog stops pulling or allows the leash go slack at all, start walking forward. The loose leash is a behavior that you want and indicates that you will begin to walk, which is what the dog wants so you've positively reinforced it.
    -The time it takes a dog to learn this is variable based on personality, age, etc., but ultimately they'll get what you're doing and you can teach this without saying a word or giving a treat since for most dogs the walk is enough of a reward. Obviously the younger you start the better because 90 lbs Akita that wants to go over there is harder to stop than the same dog as a puppy would've been.
  • edited July 2013
    We don't have a second dog and I don't know if it's more leash restriction but Akuma growled when dogs got too close, were hyper, growled/barked at him(which I don't blame him that much for that, defending himself I see different than just being an ass) or he didn't like the look of them on walks and he corrected an older puppy that got too close to Ryan once. Walking away and time outs are good ideas. Removing Akuma from the situation stops it from escalating but for us too the reaction was still the same the next time, growl at passing dogs. We've really been working on positive reinforcement like @tmd was talking about. When I see a dog coming up I have him do a trick for a treat. He ignores the other dog (he might look at them a little but goes back to focusing on the treat, no growling, no nothing) Maybe as soon as you see Koda come in, get up and have them do tricks for treats before she can get into guarding mood? Our goal is not just to have him focus on us but to associate other dogs with getting a treat/not growling at them means treats. We've had good success that not once when we had him focus on us/treat did he react negatively when another dog went by even when an older gentlemen with two smaller misbehaving dogs were pulling like crazy and got right on my side about a foot or so from him. He ignored them. I was so happy especially since that guy could not handle his dogs and I had even told him Akuma does not like dogs he doesn't know up in his face while he was still 10 ft off. It's a slightly different situation but maybe stopping it when you can before it happens with a positive will break the habit? Good luck!
  • edited July 2013
    @rafatturi I've had the same leash issues with Mika as you have with her brother Akuma. We got over those with just what you are doing. I also don't allow greeting on leash with Mika. She has a real pressure issue. If she feels any pressure on her martingale while greeting it can set her off.

Well we had one good experience and one growl today. Mika let's herself out of her crate at night and climbs in bed with Koda and I. Usually at that time Koda will get off the bed and go to his own. In the morning where we have had problems the past week, Koda will usually come up to the edge of the bed and wake me up. This morning when he did it I got all excited and started loving on both of them. Mika got all happy and no growling. Good girl.

Fifteen minutes later I was putting on my running shoes. This tells the dogs we are going out for a walk so Mika got excited. Usually both of them will inconveniently want me to pet them while putting on my shoes. I ignored Mika completely and Koda walked in the room. There it was growl and snarl. I told Mika uh uh got up and walked out not giving any of them attention at all.

The thing is her growling hurts Koda's feelings. He is uber sensitive and loves Mika but also what is happening is that he doesn't even want to play with her now because of it. He's a no conflict kind've dog. And Mika doesn't get why Koda won't play or kiss her. Umm cause you're mean Mika Monster. Ha ha ha.
  • awwe Koda is such a love bug :( I hope the situation keeps getting better...it seems like you've got something that is slowly working, so keep at it!! I gotta come to your place and visit next time im up North...I wanna meet Koda so bad!! AND Mika Monster hehe :)
  • @tjbart17 Hope the good experiences outweigh the bad today and that soon all the conflict will be over!
  • Good luck you 3! Kaiya guards me from dogs too when shes on leash and I havent been able to find a way that I am overly comfortable with to correct it. I am doing small leash corrections, but her reaction is extreme too. Let me know how it goes.

If it keeps up, Id be happy to take Koda off your hands hahah :)
  • Maybe someone could help me out. I have the opposite problem. When I take Shelby out on her leash (alone or with Mya) and someone walks in our vicinity, Shelby hides behind me. I tell her it's ok, and I step beside her. It's not only when people approach us, it's when she can see them and they are just going about their business. And it can be anyone, my parents, grandparents, etc... These are people she's been around her whole life, but when she's on a leash, she hides from them.
    She seems to be fine off leash, but there are strict laws about that kind of stuff here, so I can't walk her off leash like I used to.
    So, I don't have a protective dog, I have a dog that wants ME to protect HER...
  • @Myabee09 I think counter-conditioning could work for Shelby too as long as her reaction is fear-based and since she's so consistent (even with people she knows), it should be easy to reproduce the situation that you can work with her on.

Get one of your parents or friends to approach from a distance. The second she starts to look worried, give her a treat or better yet give a 'sit' command and then treat for the sit. That way she's also working for you. It'll help take her mind off the thing that she's worried about. Better yet, watch Dr Sophia Yin do it with a dog that gets aggressive when fearful, which makes me think it might be good for you too @brittk:

It's just about building enough positive experiences to outweigh the negative ones the dog has had and making sure you're replacing unwanted behavior with something appropriate.
  • Ok. What I've been trying is just having the people come close and call her name and show friendliness, but then ignore her until she feels comfortable enough to walk up to them. We give lots of praise when she lets them pet her, but it hasn't been enough. Also, she does know sit, but I can't get her to do anything else but high five right now (totally my fault, finals and a big move hurt our training). She naturally sits behind me though. Should I teach her another command and then work on it?

Thank you for the advice. I have just been telling people she's shy because she sometimes will bristle up as well.
  • thanks @tmd we tried doing sit or down and treating (we were like freaking pez dispensers) for looking at us to no avail for about 6-8 months . As soon as the dog gets close or looks at her (it can be at a distance as far as across a 3 lane street) kaiya goes all crazy lunging growling barking and acting like Kujo.
  • @Myabee09 @brittk Hmm, sounds like it might be time for professional help from a behaviorist. For reactive dogs, whether they go into fight (Kaiya) or flight (Shelby) mode, it stems from fear on the dog's part and there are very subtle signs and very precise actions needed to help them.

A big part of the training will be learning to recognize where on the continuum of reactivity they are at any particular moment. You have to be able to catch them right before they go out of their minds with fear and stop being able to listen to what you have to say. Then you can start changing their minds about the situation by changing their underlying mental/emotional state, but once they have started shrinking away or barking/lunging they no longer have control or reasoning ability until they calm down again. That's the emergency state Dr. Yin is talking about in the above video.

A behaviorist can help you recognize those signs and give you steps to improve the situation for your pups. The alternative is them living in fear every time they go for a walk or have to share attention with someone else as in @tjbart17 case and I know none of us want that for our dogs.
  • @tjbart17 - how are the two of them doing now?

Our two are very bonded, but on occasion (with no triggers we have been able to identify) they start resource guarding me. Most of the time they can and both will have their heads in my lap at the same time, each snuggling a different side, but when they try this and end up snarking we do time outs and they're back to normal in 30 seconds. Since we haven't been able to identify the trigger, we also haven't been doing counter conditioning. This happens maybe once a year now so I think that thr time outs have helped.

One thing that might sound strange, but be worth a try, is also talking to them. My girl is very good at picking up on the nuances of vocal intonations. Whenever we see her getting worked up, we tell her to relax and then ask her why she's so grumpy. It sounds odd, but it diffuses the tension a bit, and while she might grumble, she doesn't cross the excitement threshold the way she has in the past. It's been surprisingly effective. Given how sensitive kai seem to be to people, I'm betting they also might respond to speech well.
  • I just came in from a walk with Shelby. While on our walk I saw some older kids that she has met before, but been a bit afraid of (like everyone else she meets). I asked them to help me and they said ok, so I told Shelby "friends" and made her sit by me before they got close. I then had the kids walk up slowly, one at a time (there were 2) and call her name as they were walking. I kept telling Shelby "friends" and she was a little shy, but not near as bad. She sat there and let them pet her. Then she licked one on the hand and wagged her tail like she was ready to play. I then had the kids walk by us for a few feet and talk to her. She did much better! We gave her lots of praise and then I let her off leash in the courtyard we were in so she could play with another dog. When it was time to leave and she was back on her leash, the kids walked up and told her goodbye. One even kissed her on top of the head. She isn't fearful to the point of biting, but I told the little girl to be careful and ask next time.

I know she was still somewhat shy, but at least she didn't bristle up and hide behind me. Is this ok, or am I going about this the wrong way? I'm trying, but we just moved really far away from all of our friends and family. I don't really know anyone around here yet that could help me on a regular basis, but I want Shelby to be ok. I don't know where this came from... It was like an overnight change. I've always tried to socialize her well and in a good way with dogs and people. She loves other dogs, but there's nothing that I know of that could have caused this fear with people. Everyone just adores her. Could bringing Mya with us help? Mya LOVES everyone and can't wait to meet new people.