Dehyrator for Dog Treats?

edited May 2013 in Products & DIY
All the pups are raw fed so I try to avoid grains like the plague as it always makes them explosive. As I'm sure some of you all know, finding grain-free treats is the biggest PIA! & when you do finally find them, they're either expensive as hell or sourced from China.

So...I'm wondering if a dehydrator would be a worthwhile investment for making our own dog treats.

Anyone have any experience with doing this? :)

I think it'd be cool to dehydrate yams, blueberries, different cuts of meat, chicken hearts / livers, etc. for training treats. ~

Comments

• I used ro use a dehydrator. I got a cheap one (cheap being relative, I found, with dehydrators) and made sweet potato skins and a few other things. Since a bag of sweet potato skins pre-made is like, 30-40 dollars, it paid for itself pretty quickly and then, promptly broke.

I use the oven to dehydrate, now. It takes forever, but at least it doesn't break. I like it better than the dehydrator, too.
  • The oven method didn't work too well for me :( I fail. LOL ~
  • What did you use to prop the oven open & how far? What temp?
    I messed up a few times, but still wound up with something ok in the end. Figuring out I could lock the oven a little open was the biggest help.

I'm actually picking up sweet potatoes on Friday to mske! Sending @cdenney some - I can make goodie bags if anyone wants to try them for the pups.

The dehydrator WAS way easier, though.
  • Wait, prop the oven open?!?! The method I had read [ when I tried it a year or so ago ] was to basically bake them for like 6 hours at ridiculously low heat! ~
  • Lol - there's why! Prop it open an iiiiitty bit next time. The moisture has to escape so the stuff inside can dehydrate. I used the lowest temp my oven sets to and find something else to do all day. I usually do it while I'm doing housework.
  • Man, no wonder it didnt work! LOL

Tho, living in FL, with a crappy AC system...this doesn't sound optimal to do in the summer! haha ~
  • I would love to try some with my guys before I make a bunch myself.
  • @spj051993 - I'll message you when they're done to send some!
  • Awesome!!!! My guts are not picky about their food, but very picky about their treats.
  • @spj051993 - that's what I was afraid of when I was making my guys their treats. London loves them. TK & Russell will chew them like a bone (the skins). I did bansna chips once - those went quick!
  • My mom has one, its awesome. She dehydrates liver for the dogs and they go nuts for it.
  • The oven method would be way too expensive for me. I feel like I pay up the wazoo for gas. I plan on getting a dehydrator. Dog treats, cat treats, kid treats (homemade fruit leather anyone?).
  • @okiron I love fruit leather. Obsessed. Used to hate it when I was a kid and I was getting something "better" than gushers. Now I cannot stand a world without it.
  • I believe Gen uses a cabela's dehydrator.

I've seen people offer them for lower price on craigslist mostly the nesco or brands like it. Lightly used or used some were new even.

Here's my thread it has what gen wrote.
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/158555#Comment_158555

I still haven't gotten one yet. I'll probably get the nesco square one or get cabala's one.

I did chicken hearts in my oven it worked fine with oven slightly open Saya loves the chicken hearts.. I bought like 2 or 4lbs of it for decent price. Yeah that would be bit hot during summer though. I did it during fall.
  • i always feel really stupid when i buy something like, "sweet potato dog biscuits!!!!" from an uptown doggy shop when its really just dehydrated taters that cost something like $0.50 to make, but sold for $8+....

:(

• I love my dehydrator :) It makes life easy and my dogs love their treats. I would say get one if your dogs like those type treats. But remember that with dehydrators cheap is not good and good is not going to be really cheap lol I learned that the hard way!
  • I'm definitely looking at investing in a dehydrator for dog treats also my husband loves jerky so I will be able to keep everyone happy! :)
  • @kuma123 I think that's how it is with most appliances. Heck, a cheap toaster burned down my friend's house so I'm a bit paranoid lol.
  • @kuma123 - what brand did you get! I checked out the cabelas but since they're not available via Amazon, B is less likely to want to get it.
  • @okiron, that's terrible! I hope everyone was alright!

@violet_in_seville, I started off with a Nesco..... you get what you pay for and it didn't last too long. I upgraded to the Excalibur and it's great. I found mine on sale for $95 with free shipping so if you shop around and have time to shop around you may be able to get a great deal on one.

Here's a link to one almost identical to mine:
    http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/exmoded.html
  • Gosh, I am SO picky with treats now! I'll go into the store and take forever to browse through though because like @jellyfish says, the price for some of this stuff just isn't justifiable.

One of these days I'm going to do an allergy panel on Sakura, but it seems like she's allergic to a lot of ingredients Dx. I'm trying this new food as a supplement in their Origin 6 fish - It's Honest Kitchen: Zeal.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/zeal

It's dehydrated ingredients and seems to be doing wonders with solidifying her stool for some reason. I only learned of this food recently and am thinking of switching to it full time but it's all mushy whe re-hydrated xD. I've used dehydrators in the past for beef & salmon. I really think the dehydrated salmon would be awesome to use for treats because it's still very oily and breaks apart easily after dehydration. I'd love to try it with sweet potatoes! My girls eat pretty much everything.

This is a great idea - I'll look for something decent here soon and stop stressing over all the pre-packaged stuff xD.
  • I recently gotten the honest kitchen zeal to have on hand in case of emergency.. Saya loves the stuff and hasn't had issue.

Saya loves it as a snack. :)

I'm thinking of getting a Excalibur one especially 9 tray one.. problem is they have different 9 tray models.. haha

I'm researching which one be best.. on the dehydrator site says it has 10year warranty which is nice. I hate 2year warranty always item conks out on 2 and half year mark. hehe

I have tons of things to dehydrate so good bit of shelves are nice.

Is clean up easy with Excalibur I don't mind cleaning and stuff just didn't know if it had a drip tray or what.

I have like 1 or 2lbs of chicken hearts still to dehydrate.. Plus I'd love do my own jerky. yummy.