Separation anxiety help-> Exercise in the morning?

edited April 2013 in Behavior & Training
So, Eevee's separation anxiety has been pretty intense the past two days. She chewed at the door frame more than normal. I try to have her tired before leaving the house and it seems to be working. We have a vertical bar dog crate that sometimes blocks her from the door. She does not do any damage to the house when she cannot reach the door and just damages the dog gate, which is preferred. When she is really tired, she will just sleep the whole day and not open the gate.

I honestly have been slacking on taking a long walk/jog with her in the morning, mainly because it's still dark outside before I leave for work. Eevee doesn't play with toys but will play with Mochi when she sees us toss a few frisbees around the house. I'll try playing with Mochi in the morning and hopefully Eevee will follow through.

I usually exercise in the morning before work so if there is an activity Eevee and I can do that requires both of us to work out, that would be great! Any ideas?

I would go jogging but I don't feel comfortable running in the dark.

We have tried using the calming drops but I do not like giving her a lot of medication, plus it doesn't seem to be working as well as exercise. We tried using DAP and thundershirts but the end result is always her tearing down the dog gate and chewing at the door. Ideally I would have her in a doggy daycare but it's so expensive. I've also tried to crate train her but she always chews at the bars and actually detaches the welded parts.

Eevee was okay when I got Mochi for a few months but she has relapsed the last few days. Mochi is crate trained and stays in the crate while Eevee is free to walk around the house when no one is home.

Comments

• What would happen if you left Mochi out with Eevee?
  • edited April 2013
    Probably Mochi will get into shinanigans. He still chews on things he's not supposed to.. stuffed animals, hats, his hair brush, my super expensive gaming mouse, etc. He's 8 months old right now. His potty training is much better though, but he still pees in his sleep once every two weeks or so.

I adopted Eevee where she was in the shelter for 6 months after being an outdoor only dog for five years. Her anxiety was really bad in the beginning. We slowly curved the behavior and getting Mochi made it non-existent. I believe I will be in for a treat when I get him. She doesn't chew on anything besides the door frame. She used to chew the window sills but that hasn't happened in months.
  • Have you tried chews such as bully sticks. Perhaps you could put treats in a plastic bottle and have her get it out.
  • Have you considered going to a vet or vet behaviourist to discuss anti-anxiety medication? I know you said you don't want to medicate her too much, but consider the stress she undergoes every time you leave. Medication (and the real kind, not calming drops!) can really help facilitate separation anxiety training.
  • Are you sure it's anxiety and not just while the cats away the mice will play? Cause Mika has that issue and no amount of exercise helps.
  • @Ttddinh she will not chew on pig ears or bully sticks when no one is home or about to leave.

@Nekopan I have not tried to take her to a bet for this yet. We used to have a vet behaviorist but she moved out of state. I'll seek an appointment with my vet soon if this gets worst.

@tjbart17 We set up a camera and recorded her crying at the door for 10-30 minutes then she would run upstairs, lay down at the foot of my bed, then run downstairs, stare at the door for a few more minutes, then finally lay down in front of the window sill until we get home.

The camera also shows her breaking the gate within minutes of me leaving and chewing, pawing, and crying at the door within minutes of me leaving. I had to come home an hour late one day and noticed she freshly chewed the door because it was still wet. Poor girl.
  • Well if you want to cheat and use cameras then I guess you're right. Ha ha
  • Do you make a big deal out of leaving? Telling them bye and acting differently when you leave can make separation anxiety worse in some dogs. Other than that, I'm out if ideas. Shelby has taken to destroying things in her kennel when I leave and I don't know why. This is new for her and I've never dealt with it either. So I think I may creep this thread and try some new techniques. Good luck to you and eevee! I hope she does better soon for both you and her sake. :)
  • I ignore her for 30minutes before I go out. I also randomly pick up the keys, put on shoes, put Mochi in the crate, and go in and out throughout the day to desensitize her.

• Here is a photo of the door the past few days...

• Wow... I have no idea. Maybe call a local trainer or talk to the vet? I called my mom because we had a schnauzer when I was a kid and he did similar things (ate wallpaper off the walls, pulled down mini blinds, etc...) And she said he just grew out of it. Hopefully eevee will realize that you're coming back and exercising her out will make it less painful for both of you until she does. :(
    Side note: they used to have screw in plastic guards on the corners of walls in my old elementary school. Wonder if something like that would protect your door frames? Maybe a recording of you talking to her playing while you're away could ease her anxiety? I call my chihuahua (via my parents) and talk to her on speaker to ease her anxiety while I'm on trips.