Raito no Hoshihime 'Sachi'--Spam (10.24)

Comments

• I called the vet and now the docs have to confer before they give me the next option... @-)
  • Oh good. Ace is strong. A half of one puts Koda out at 51 pds.
  • edited January 2013
    lol. I got ace for kilbun (he is a puppy) so if you want some, I can mail you some. :) I have no idea is that is legal though!
  • If alzopram is a controlled substance I would bet that ace is as well. yeah one 1 mg tab had her stumble twice in 6hours otherwise all systems were go.
  • edited January 2013
    I wanted to give a real Sachi update other than "OMG ear infection from hell!"

Sachi has really been settling in and doing well, we have made some fairly large strides so I am incredibly pleased! She has moved from ninja sniffing dogs to being able to greet them face to face. When we went to the dog park we were initially there playing by ourselves ( ) but she ran up to greet a Chihuahua/min pin mix and played with Rocky (though the little dog in the sweater gave her a good run). Eventually we were joined by a lab/pointer mix and while there was some posturing she eventually started chasing behind the pointer chasing a ball and wrestling for it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/sachidogpark.jpg/
    (From Christmas Day--Same Dog Park).

Eventually Sachi got confident enough she would launch from a three foot platform and chase after. She had amazing flight time, however she did eventually launch when her competition was returning with a stick and may have partially landed on her shoulder. Both dogs were fine and Sachi was ready to play even more!

We've done more outings and Sachi will now come up to strangers anywhere outside of the house and take treats, she even gave a little girl a lick! In the house she is nervous of anyone she hasn't met previously so I think I am going to take a page out of @tjbart17 's book and have her meet all strangers coming in the house first.

In true Kai fashion Sachi is picking up tricks and commands quickly. She has a long attention span now that we have found the right motivations. We are trying to work on a solid down command. So far she will down on my bed but everywhere else is hit-n-miss.

My favorite thing is coming home and have her get up off the bed and wag her tail real fast but she folds back her ears, it is so cute. We've largely stopped crating- short periods of time as the exception- (but she howls, freaks, rips at her crate, I'm afraid she might hurt herself) but she is fine just being in my dog proofed room and I think happier to play with her puzzles and throw her toys around sleeps on her crate so, if the shoe fits.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/30967062127786278061839.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/imag0748ud.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/imag0746k.jpg/

She is very pawsy and affectionate. @brada1878 she has gotten her rumbly voice back and is fairly talkative, very, very amusingly. I love it!

Right now we were working on down and I had a bully stick in my pocket for later, I was sitting on the ground, while she was procrastinating she decided to circle me, steal the bully out of my pocket and then high tail it for the room before I knew what happened. Crafty sketch ball, very crafty.
  • @cdenney awww so happy you and sachi are doing well! Sachi is SOO cute with her ball! I love that she loves toys! I'm hoping Hana will go back to loving squeaky toys (Jen said she did) but her preference might have changed since the move, or she's still not "at home" yet. We SO want to get Hana to where Sachi is now, but we're being patient and letting her settle in on her own time.
    Hana ALSO does "down" well on the bed, but hit and miss anywhere else! So funny! Maybe these girls don't like "down"-ing on hard surfaces! Hahah. (read: princess)

Anyway!! I'm so happy everything seems to be going well and that you guys have improved! It gives me hope and it's encouraging to see! :)
  • @thegela Thanks! She has her few "normal" toys she plays with or throws around but from genuinedoggear I got three real fur toys (one sheep, one bison/deer, one rabbit) and she really likes the two livestock ones.

Hana will come around I know it! She is too awesome not to! --Also I was thinking of you the other day, and this is really random. A symptom in humans of anemia is chewing on ice. Perhaps Hana's ice chewing might be related to another issue or perhaps she was biting at her cage when flying? I dunno but ideas. Happy new year as well!
  • edited January 2013
    @cdenney oh cool! Real fur toys as in from the fur the animal represents? (rabbit has real rabbit fur etc..?) I could see how dogs might love that. I had a random real fur "tail" thing once, (not actually a tail, but a pelt that was rolled into the shape of one) and my dogs went INSANE for it.

Aww thank you!! I know, Hana has been improving, (baby steps) but now that life appears to be more stable and most of the drama is over, I'm hoping she'll settle in even more. Her appetite is definitely back and she seems a little less "afraid" of things.
    Hana doesn't chew on ice here (we don't give her ice to chew on in the house. Haha) but I think the Andersons had a lot of ice chunks in their yard and Hana just liked chewing on them as a chew-toy? Its strange because she doesn't really chew on anything here... can't imagine where it's from!
    Anyway, so glad to see Sachi loving life :) Happy New Year!! :D
  • @cdenney Gosh she is SO FREAKING CUTE! So SO happy she's doing great! She looks so happy! Glad all the re-homed Kai drama is behind you!

@thegela I was also told that ChoCho loved balls (especially squeaky ones), so i went out and bought her a few... but she didn't want to play with them at first. We actually got her to play with sticks, leaves and rocks at first and then she become more interested in the ball. But it wasn't the one we bought her... it was some nasty 10 year old ball that she dug up from the garden lol. The smellier the better. Now she has about 8 different balls around the apartment and she loves them all! :) Hana will come around!

• Sachi is such doll! Good for u!
  • She looks so great! Great job with her, she looks so happy!!!!
  • More updates later but some spam from our morning walk yesterday. It was the first time wearing the ruffwear since I've had her and you would have thought I had drained all the fun out of life the way she was walking on it for the first 20 minutes. "oh there's a squirrel, thats nice *sigh looks forlornly in the distance*". the leash wasn't even on it nor was it fitted, it was just for her to get used to the feel. Anyways pics.

("maybe she won't notice my brindlebutt is on her pillows")
    image>

("oh...")

("there's a squirrel!")

("but there is this harness")

("yekch")

Later in the walk...

("Look Ma! Moveable Face!")
  • @cdenney LOL no worries! Goro acts the same way! Love all her pet names! I'm surprise ChoCho and Goro respond to all my crazy names lol
  • @hinata23 i know i sound like a crazy person on walks because I talk to her fairly constantly just to keep her focused on me as we are trying to develop an orbit for her of acceptable wanderings on a 30ft lead. but, it is a walk, and she is a dog no matter how smart and cute, she isn't talking back and damnit i ran out of things to say on walk 2 so pet names galore we go.
  • edited January 2013
    lol At least you keep it in one language... I switch on and off between English and Spanish!
  • Like every former high school and college Spanish class student I can curse fluently, for life, but because its been so many years I'm now down to spanglish everything else and Im pretty likely to offend if I switch to that or Hindi, so sounding crazy (or crazy dog lady as it may be) is A-okay by me.
  • edited January 2013
    haha super cute! I also speak to Hana in Korean and English. Korean commands sometimes come out naturally, and sometimes Hana seems to pay more attention when I speak in Korean.. maybe because it sounds strange and she's wondering what the heck I'm saying? She's started to get it though! Smart bilingual dogs. :)

Oh, and the pillow I use to rest my head on for bedtime, is DEFINITELY Hana's. Even if I'm already on it, she will jump on the bed, step on my hair, and plop down on it, her backside half covering my face. She's obviously telling me to get off or move the hell over because it's time for her to sleep! I always end up sleeping diagonally, and my husband ends up sleeping curled up in a ball on the corner of the bed, or whatever space is left over.
  • edited January 2013
    I give commands in Tagalog to my dog all the time. It's really hard during obedience classes when they want me to have him "sit" and I say, "upo."

I know the Belgian Malinoises at the Orlando Police Department give commands in Belgian because of the breeder. The breeder trains the dogs for a year or so then is purchased by the police station... and I thought NKs were expensive!
  • It takes time sometimes but I'm glad u r making headway with her! She's a doll!
  • Well I have now had Sachi for a little more than three months and she has changed my world, I cannot imagine life without her (though she is currently staring at me sketchily from the couch as she is doing something suspect on/with it). I haven't done a real update since probably the first month or so I have had her so in brief, our big events.

She had a really bad ear infection and being so scared of being "trapped" it was impossible to clean at home, even with help. It ended up being that I would have to pay the vet $70 a day for up to two weeks to clean it until it cleared up (with three people it was doable, though high anxiety) or have her put under and do one really good thorough clean and medicate orally. We decided on option 2 as it would be less stressful in the long run, though I wish we had done it sooner.

Sachi has really blossomed at the dog park though hates going in if it is crowded as all the dogs mob the new dogs so we go during times I know we will be there first. One of my pet sitting clients actually suggested playdates with his goldens in his yard and the big field behind his house, she even let him pet her. Great idea because she LOVES his dogs and now we can (and ATM are) house sit with all three of them. Even on leash now where before she was unsure of meeting new dogs she wants to go meet them, now-now, though will probably have ADD and find something else to do the moment after.

We drove up to Ohio (8-9 hr drive) to visit my family and Hiro and Stacy and the long drive started to tell on her, though I think coming back in such a short amount of time was difficult but she did admirably. She even let my cousin, uncle and dad all pet her which was HUGE. We took her everywhere, even the nursing home and while being a sketchball got tons of compliments.

Unfortunately we have had to put off the planned obedience classes right now until May she seems to be picking up all the basics with me so it is just a redoubling of effort to take her everywhere possible. But she has decided I am her person and therefore must be accounted for at all times, which is nice to know she loves me so, especially given our start!

Her preydrive is still high though seems more directed now. Sachi managed to catch a bird out of the air as it flew past and while she put it down when I asked her to (and the bird fine, flew away) she now has to hunt and flush all birds possible. Half of our walks I only see her backend sticking out of a bush.

But anyways I needed to share how far we have come! Pics and videos to come soon.
  • Sorry if it is scattered trying to put it all out there right before work
  • I love it! It sounds like things are going well and marching on! :) Cookies to you both! :)
  • Thanks for the update on Sachi!
  • Thanks for the update! I am glad she is doing sooo much better!!!
  • Glad she's settling in and I LOVE the pics! What is it with the Kai and the harnesses? She has the same pose Leo does when I put one on him! EEEEKKK! What is this on my belly? I better arch my back away from it! :lol:
  • awesome Sachi update! :) So happy to hear things are going well! :D

@shibamistress actually, Hana will sometimes direct her head into the harness. She doesn't seem to mind it at all. But then again Hana is a weird Kai cause she doesn't like going outside, will hang out with strangers on the couch and let ppl (inside our house) pet her... haha
  • That makes me feel really good to read. :)

Thanks for being so good with her.
  • Thanks guys, I'm stoked!

Today had been event filled: she taught herself how to use the doggie door, let me bathe her for the first time (we clogged the facilitys drain even after twenty pluS minutes of solid furmination and them killed three bristle brushes after, let a new vet pet her straight off and only put up a mild ruckus about her nails being trimmed. Moving forward :D
  • Woohoo!! :)