I need a piece of advice. My dog freaks out from toaster!

edited November 2012 in Behavior & Training
Despite the funny title this topic isn't so funny. So, Nuuk has a bit odd phobia, he freaks out when we use toaster. Accurate starting time for this behaviour I don't know but over the couple weeks Nuuk has had three times this panting, shaking and whining seizure. Previous times I have only thought that he only wants to go for a poop because when he wants out he mainly acts the same. This morning I found a reason for this behaviour when I put the toaster on. Nuuk was eating and ended it immediately and went to living room to pant. And now when I and my brother started to think of it more this behaviour has always started when we put the toaster on. Before it hasn't caused any change in the behaviour. We only came to solution that it's quite old device so could it cause some noices and odours that we can't hear or smell? Few times it has put fire alarm on but the alarm don't cause any extra reactions in dogs.

Tomorrow we start to inure (hope that I chose the right word) Nuuk to the toaster :D. Silly little Humppa.

Comments

• Silly question, but why is it an issue? Now that you've identified the source, why not simply not use the toaster around the dog? Why do you need to force him to accept it, when the simplest solution is avoidance?
  • edited November 2012
    He freaks out from the toaster even if he is in the bedroom and heard the toaster. And I don't think it's normal that he all of a sudden started to be afraid of it.
    EDIT: And I'm afraid that he might start to be afraid other normal stuff if I don't handle this situation right.
  • Can you buy another toaster that is quieter?

Does Nuuk have a crate that he is comfortable in? We are going through a little bit of a fear phase with Mika. Totally normal for her age. When I'm about to use something that she's scared of, ie the vacuum, I just put her in her crate and shut the door. She knows nothing will touch her in her crate. Then she's able to be near it without freaking out. As I get close to the crate, I throw treats in. At first she wouldn't touch them, but now she happily eats them. Hopefully I can transition her out of feeling the need to run to her crate, but if not she feels safe and doesn't show signs of being scared. She used to play with the vacuum and attack it! lol.
  • I'm going to test his reactions with other toaster when we go back home. Until that we don't use the toaster. It's so funny because this is Nuuk's first fear and it's a small TOASTER. I only use crate in the car and not in the house anymore. Ife has never liked the vacuum but she never has had behaviour like this. And Ife's fear behaviour has always been different.
  • Okey, now I really have to admit how stupid I really are (two days in a lab arent't good for me :P). I didn't even think getting a new toaster lol. But I'm still worried that what if he starts to be afraid some other "normal" stuff...
  • Have you tried a thundershirt or anxiety drops?
  • @MirkaM If you start worrying about Nuuk who has proven himself to have a pretty stable demeanor then my fear is that you will create anxiety. Kais feed off of us. Don't worry. Nuuk is fine. A toaster fear really isn't that big of a deal. :-)
  • @MirkaM - Nuuk might be smelling something in the toaster, which (especially if it is an older toaster) could have safety implications. I would definitely toss that one and get a new one. I would not worry about him starting to be afraid of other things. It is possible that he has a very real reason to be afraid of the old toaster.
  • Tara's right - whatever you do, don't make a big deal over it or worry.

You can try putting the toaster on the floor so Nuuk can get a closer look/smell. Unless it causes too much anxiety - you don't need to flood Nuuk, but it you could try it and see if that makes the toaster seem less threatening. But, again, make sure it's not a big deal. Just carry on like that's where the toaster has always been.
  • We bought new toaster and Nuuk is fine with it :).
  • Yay! It's wierd how they suddenly develop fears of things, sometimes, but I'm glad this one was easy to solve!
  • I was gonna say, get a new toaster.
    I hate those pop up ones, scares the crap outta me.