Ritsu's adjustment (big progress)

Comments

• I thought it might help others who are getting older Kai with their adjustment.
  • Sounds like he's doing well adjusting and already thinks of you as his protector, good stuff! Has he met the other dogs yet or just been letting him get used to their scents before meeting?
  • He has met them through the front of his crate. He met kazue briefly. She is the easiest to get along with. It went well and it stayed positive. We are taking things slow and letting him move at his pace. I am working first on him bonding with me, then we will move on to the other dogs.
  • You're doing a great job with him Stacey. I know it can be hard with the older Kai, but it sounds like you have everything under control.
  • Glad to read about his progress, and yes, I agree this is a great resource thread for people who may get an older Kai. Keep us posted, and I hope he settles in well! (sounds like he is on his way!)
  • Major breakthrough tonight. He went for a walk with Kazue tonight. He trotted along very happy with his tail up and wagging the whole time. After taking a HUGE poop, he was bouncing around and giving me play bows. We came back into the house and he ran around the living room playing with me. I even got several licks on the hand and a few nudges when I was not paying enough attention to him.
  • Yeah!!!!!! My baby's daddy is doing well.

I have a theory that Kai's need to be walked with another dog that's easy going and confident to do well when they are rehomed at an older age. I'm glad Kazue's presence seemed to make a difference from yesterday's walk.

You are exactly what Ritsu needs. Patience and time is something that you are really good at.
  • Match made in heaven! That's awesome he gives you Kai nudges
  • Yea, I am so happy for u n ritsu! Them older Kai sounds like a slippery bunch!
  • :-D Glad he is settling in!
  • Super news, so glad the other dogs are helping in the adjustment : )

Snf
  • So far just Kazue. The boys ate still just interacting through the front of the cage. Tora is still a little protective of the pups at this point. So, for now we are going to just keep it to Kazue until he is ready for more.
  • So glad he is doing so well!!!
  • I agree with Chrys, it's great to read about his progress. I'm really happy he is doing ok. He's such a lovely dog.

So, Stacey, what do you think of his looks? How does he compare to pics of him?

He doesn't have the "tough guy" vibe he does in pics, does he? He has more of a "goofy guy" vibe in person. lol

----
  • Yeah, he is def a goof in person. He is better than his pics. Can't wait for his coat to come back in. Love his head. He is also not as straight in the rear that his pics portray. He will be a very nice asset to my program. We will continue to work on his confidence and eventually get him in the show ring.
  • Congratulations!
  • So happy for Ritsu and you guys!
  • Some pics I took today

IMG_1133

IMG_1134

IMG_1136

IMG_1138

Video to follow in a little while.
  • look at that tail!!! He is such a cutie!
  • How is he doing today? I wish I could've met him as an adult. He was such a cute puppy. So sweet and polite.
  • edited November 2012
    oops your post didn't come through when I originally clicked on this.

He looks happy! Yay!! Is that Kazue he's walking with? She's got some good brindle.

PS Mika has her dad's coloring. :-)
  • He is doing great today. He is goofy in the video I am uploading as we speak. I kick myself for not getting on video him rolling around on the floor being a total goof. He is bonding with me and Kazue gives him alot of comfort and confidence.
  • edited November 2012
    Man! I love his sweet face!!! :oD Thanks for sharing the pics!!!
  • Awwww he is awesome! He looks happy!
  • @sjp051993 - Yea, he is such a goof. lol... He cracks me up. I'm glad he looks better in person.
  • @sjp051993 So I keep dieing to know, so I better just ask!! :o) How is he doing with different doorways and rooms in your house? And if he is how are you helping him (or plan on helping him) with it? Every doorway in our home was such a challenge for him to even walk by/through... We did our best to go slow and being reassuring for him but the hardest one was the doorway that he would have to pass to get to our backyard. The other dogs helped him a bit there (because obviously they didn't care) but he really struggled there.
  • That sounds awesome Stacey, I'm happy for both of you!
  • The only doorway he has had an issue with was the front door. He started to freak the first time we went through. I could see in his body language he was not comfortable. I just gave him a tug on the lead and said let's go. I did not act like I noticed his distress and in a way ignored it. After the first time, he goes in and out the door now with out any issues.
  • Today's update. He met Tora and the pups tonight. The pups love him of course. Tora is tolerant so far. She has given him a couple of corrections when she did not like what he was doing or how he was interacting with the pups. He really has done nothing I would be concerned about. Mainly just Tora being over protective with her pups. He walked into the dog room and the boys went bat shit crazy, so we have a ways to go there. We will continue to keep those interactions through cage front for now.
  • Oh good!!! I'm so glad that's not an issue for him. Great job!