"He Just Wants to Say Hi"

edited October 2012 in Behavior & Training
I don't know if this article has been linked here before, but I really enjoyed the anthropomorphisms used.

like so:
"Margaret is fine with people who are calm and well behaved, and interacts with them appropriately. She's also endlessly patient with and kind to children, even bratty ones. But when loud, obnoxious teenagers begin shoving her around, she's really weird - she starts telling them to leave her alone. What can we do with Margaret? Her behavior has us stumped."

the full article:
http://www.suzanneclothier.com/the-articles/he-just-wants-say-hi

Comments

• Suzanne is the BEST! :)
  • edited October 2012
    I really like her writing style and how she explains things for people.

I actually came across this article while investigating something apparently going around England/UK--the "Yellow Ribbon". Someone who had written their views on the Yellow Ribbon idea had linked this and said it should be given out to all new dog owners instead of having the late warning system of the "Yellow Ribbon". What do you guys think about this?

• edited October 2012
    I really like the idea. But i can see it being a liability though, like if something happens, and the retard goes, well, u should not walk ur dog out in public if it's not friendly, or it should be PTS..do u know what I mean?
  • @ttddinh - Yeah, while initially I was like "this is a FANTASTIC idea!", the harsh reality of the world set in soon after and crushed how enthusiastic I was. We live in a world where it would become a liability at some point - like the whole "beware of dog" thing. If everyone were educated and kind, it would be wonderful. In this world, probably not. :(
  • I love the idea, but since no one really knows what it means, it's not that useful, you know what I mean?
  • Could always go with this alternative:

• People tie ribbons to trail horses tails as an indicator that they kick.... I had a similar no manners deal on a trail ride once(MY FIRST EVER trail ride by the way), very similar to dogs demanding manners(thankfully the owner wasn't very upset over the whole ordeal). I still felt a little guilty. Basically this lady was riding a gelding with NO MANNERS whatsoever, she loudly announced that toeveryone within hearing distance. Resting his head on the horse's rear in front of him while walking... she started falling behind us on the trail and I told her Sunshine has a low tolerance for no manners, she shrugged me off. Then he started doing it to Sunshine, who nicely bumped her butt up as a warning. I turned around and told her that it would be wise if she forced her horse to ride further from Sunshine's rump. her reply "If he gets kicked he deserves it." -_-* Anywho I tried weaving a little to get him off her A$$ to no avail finally after another 5 minutes of his annoying persistence Sunshine nailed him square in the chest with both feet. And kept on walking until I turned her around. He threw his owner, she landed on her butt, no serious damage. So I ran ahead and cut him off and brought him back to her... She wasn't mad but some other owners told me i needed a red ribbon -_-* She ended up catching a ride in a homemade wagon with recliners for seats, and was content for the remaining 10 miles.
  • I dont think its a liability- I mean, if your dog wears ID does that mean it serves you right if he runs off, because you obviously knew it *could* happen, or you wouldnt have put tags on him? No, its just good sense to wear ID. People need to get over that dogs have feelings and express 'em- and they arent bad dogs.

If I brought an anxious dog anywhere to work on skills, though, a subtle ribbon wouldnt do it for me. I'd get the vest that says "IN TRAINING- GIVE ME SPACE" that someone sells (forgot where).
  • I agree the yellow ribbon is nice idea I think vest would be better too as not everyone know what the yellow ribbon means.. :\

I'd probably use an yellow bandana if needed and have it embroidered with text like give me space in training.

Saya isn't fond of vests or harness so bandana be good option if she needed it.
  • I do like the idea of there being something; though the ribbon makes a lot of sense (because of the red ribbons in the tails of horses that kick), the problem is of course like others have mentioned that not everybody would know what it meant.

Vests I think would be a bit difficult just because there are a lot of dogs unfamiliar with them/that dislike them. So maybe bandanas are for the best. Or something like that.
  • I love the yellow ribbon idea and agree with @WrylyBrindle.... I also grew up knowing that a red ribbon in the tail of a horse meant "kicker". It's kind of a known thing in the horse world. It would be neat if in the dog world a yellow ribbon was as widely recognized.
    @lizzysilvertongue - good for you for staying so calm. I would have had ZERO tolerance riding with that lady because frankly - ALL horses kick!!! Every single last one of them! Some are just more tolerant than others. Good for you! Glad the lady was ok. She was clearly needing more training herself to better protect her horse from it's own actions!