Japanese Hunting Method

Just curious to know how Japanese hunters carry out their "hunting" usually. Baiting? Trapping? Stalking? How is their coursing different? I have no idea and would love to know more. And which of the Japanese native breeds they employ the most. And in which location in Japan?

I know Shiba and Akita are predominantly kept as pets now in Japan, but if I am not mistaken, both breeds retain their hunting ability. Do Japanese hunters also use those breeds frequently?

Comments

• From what I know the two main methods are driving and the use of dogs. The terrain and the thick vegetation make things hard to stalk although I know a few people who stalk/stand hunt.

Although hunting is a minority, it's carried out all over Japan. There are hunters in Okinawa all the way up to Hokkaido. It all depends on the region but the Hokkaido ken, kishu ken, Shikoku ken, and Kai ken I believe are the main breeds still used for hunting. There still shibas used for hunting small game. I have heard that some people still use tr Akita but I have never seen that.

I'm sure Shigeru knows much more on what's going on over there. My hunting kishus came from well known hunters in Japan and I believe the kishu and Kai are used the most?
  • Thanks for the reply! I'm not really a hunter (I have only done it on rare occasion), but I'm fascinated to know how a typical Japanese hunt is carried out.