Know health issues of the Shikoku breed?

I found the Shikoku breed striking, looks-wise. But I'm sure breeders also try to ensure health and temperment (which is just as important of coure). So I would like to know what are the known health issues of the Shikoku breed. I know the Shiba can suffer from HD, patellar luxation and missing teeth. What about the Shikoku? Is there a list somewhere of known health issues of the Shikoku breed and how prevalent are those issues among the breed? Many thanks.

Comments

• Oops, it should be "known" health issues, not "know".
  • Thanks for the link! It seems there might be some issues with anxiety and carsickness (although that might be related more to temper issues) and some stomach allergies.

I'm interested to know if there are any confirmed health issues (back by statistics)? Does the Nihon Ken Hozonkai or Japan Kennel Club report on any inherited dieases found in the Shikoku? Was the Shikoku bred from a very small foundation stock like the Shiba (and hence have possible health issues from excessive inbreeding?).
  • edited July 2012
    There is little to no health tests done in Japan, so they wouldn't have the data to do anything like that. Also the Shikoku population is shrinking in Japan, not growing.

You overlooked hip and knee issues in the breed.

Most of this info has been discussed on the forum several times already...
  • Thanks for the info brada, but I don't understand what you mean by overlooking hip and knee issues?

Yes, the info has been discussed but it's all over the place, I just want to see if there is a list or just summary of known health issues in one place, it would be easier to know that way.

• I also find it odd why health tests aren't done in Japan. If the Shikoku is one of the six native breeds that the Japanese kennel clubs is trying to preserve and maintain, won't it be in their interest to know what health issues exist (so those can be corrected?) Is this due to some kind of cultural difference? Budget issues? Why don't they do it?
  • edited July 2012
    @GoodHorizon

What Brad could have meant by "You overlooked hip and knee issues in the breed" is that you only mentioned "It seems there might be some issues with anxiety and carsickness"... which are minor issues compared to the physical ones like bad knees and hips.

Japan is not like the USA... they have their own thing going on. They have different priorities and what they consider important in their culture. Most of the Nihon Ken breeders in Japan are older men who usually live outside the cities, still following old traditions when it comes to their kennels, and who still use the breeds for their original process: hunting.

Brad Andersen and Shigeru Kato ( @TheWalrus ), as well as the breeds outside of Japan, have done their best in working with breeders in Japan. They have also worked hard in importing the best dogs they can get their hands on, that said, it doesn't always turn out.

Nihon Ken are rare breeds, like you probably already know, and research is required... and that takes time. There is no "easy" way around it. Although this forum and The Shikoku Club webpage (http://www.shikokuclub.org/index.php) are your best bets for quick answers they take time to read. You should also get in touch with the breeders and ask questions these sources don't provide. (Most breeders are on the forum as well)

There's a HUGE amount of Info on this forum. Use it. These people are the most amazing and dedicated dog owners I have ever met! They have answers to practically everything. They're the Nihon Ken Yodas. Most of your questions have probably been answered multiple times and can be searched though the use of the search engine on the forum.

• Yes, thank you @Hinata23, that is what I meant. @GoodHorizon you listed some of the health issue but didn't mention HD and LP, which are growing (and historical) health issue in the Shikoku breed. That's all I was pointing out.

----
  • Many thanks Hinata23 and brada1878 for the clarification. I apologize if there was any misunderstandings. In no way was I challenging brada's views (in fact I would highly respect his view points), I was just trying to clarify some issues that's all.

Hinata23: You raised a good point on the culture difference. As an American I have to be extra careful in that regard. Sadly, the image of Americans abroad isn't always that great (to put it lightly), so the last thing I want to be seen in Japan as to be yet another "Ugly American". Hopefully, my training in Iaido might benefit me in that regard.
  • Argh, sorry for the typos, something is wrong with my computer today. "were" any misunderstandings "is" to be yet another, not "as".
  • @GoodHorizon - I didn't think you were challenging me. No worries. Plus, feel free to challenge me all you want, I don't mind. I'm not perfect.
  • edited July 2012
    @GoodHorizon The Japanese youth are pretty open to foreigners and many of them go on aboard programs. It's a very common thing to do, especially among kids in high school and collage. The older generations are a little different, which is why many of the breeders seek Shigeru's help with culture translations... if that makes any sense. What might seem ok to us might not be ok to them... even if the language translation is correct.
  • Hmm...I assume most Japanese Shikoku breeders are from the older generation? I never have approached a Japanese breeder before in person. It would be a fascinating cross-cultural experience I suppose, but maybe a bit nerve-wracking for me, as I would have to be constantly on alert as to whether I will be unintentionally insulting him or make him lose face in his culture. If I were to ask about health issues of the Shikoku with a Japanese breeder, what is the best way to do so? The direct and task-orientated American approach doesn't cut it in those circumstances I guess.
  • edited July 2012
    @GoodHorizon I would read the forum and contact the North American breeders (their info is on The North America Shikoku Club). Trying to get in contact with older Japanese men... is not the way to go. Shigeru is kind of the mediator and the one who imports the dogs for the breeders here. If you want to import instead of buying one from the breeders in N. America, he's the man to talk to. I would still recommend talking to the breeders in N. America.

You probably won't get a better sense of the breed's health in a place outside this forum. Even the North America Shikoku Club is run by people who are part of this forum.

There's not much to the Shikoku health... Like you've already read, the breed is known for having knee and hip problems. Some of them have food allergies, other get carsick and have anxiety problems. If you're just looking for more specific details than just read up on the forum. That's much more affective than trying to get in contact with the Japanese breeders who might not be able to answer your questions anyway.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for the info again. I totally agree, this is a great forum, a goldmine of useful information.

I had worries about whether the Shikoku would suffer from the severe health problems of certain pedigree breeds who were bred to an extreme standard (controversial and politically-charged topic, best I stay clear of that). But from what you told me and what I have looked up in this forum so far, I'm glad to know the Shikoku is a relatively healthy breed thanks to the hardwork of dedicated breeders.