Control Destructive Behavior... With Pheromones

edited March 2008 in General

Comfort Zone® Spray

CLINICAL STUDIES SHOW COMFORT ZONE WITH D.A.P.® HELPS REDUCE: *Destructive behavior in 91% of dogs*Excessive barking and whimpering in 65% of dogs*House soiling in 75% of dogs

Use when your dog needs stress relief. Simply spray bedding or crate to calm dogs in stressful situations such as thunderstorms. Calming pheromones communicate a reassuring message to your dog or puppy, reducing or eliminating chewing or other damaging behaviors caused by separation anxiety. Dog Appeasing Pheromone (D.A.P.) mimics the pheromone the mother dog produces as she is nursing her pups. When your puppy or dog senses this pheromone, even later in life, he is brought back to his peaceful nursing days. D.A.P. is especially helpful when there are visitors to the home, a new pet, or a new family member. Also great during car travel or visits to the veterinarian. Useful for adopted or particularly nervous dogs.

Also available in a Plug-In form.

Comfort Zone® Spray

INGREDIENTS:

D.A.P. 2%, Isopropanol filled to 60 ml

INSTRUCTIONS:

Spray 8-10 pumps per use. Spray directly on bedding, inside crates for use in indoor kennels, or in the car. Do not spray directly on animal. Store at room temperature. Keep container tightly closed. Test colorfastness before using.

PRECAUTIONS:

Avoid contact with eyes. Avoid breathing vapor or mist. Avoid spraying directly on the animal. Flammable, keep away from sources of ignition.

SUGGESTED USE:

D.A.P. Pheromone Spray helps calm dogs and alleviate anxiety associated with:

Transport/travel

Hospitalization

Crate confinement or kennels

Visits to the veterinarian

Adoption

Adjusting to a new environment

Visitors to the home

New pet or family member

Moving to a new home

Thunderstorms and fireworks

What is D.A.P.®?

D.A.P. stands for "Dog Appeasing Pheromone." Mother dogs release appeasing pheromones to reassure their puppies during times of stress. D.A.P. mimics this pheromone. Research has shown that even adult dogs respond to the stabilizing effects of the appeasing pheromone. In fact, the presence of this pheromone enhances social interaction and promotes positive behavior and emotions in dogs of any age.

---------------

What do you guys think? 

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sounds like snake oil to me
  • edited November -1

It might cause the Husband to roll over when you need him to LOL

Ron

• edited November -1

We have used DAP plug-ins before for Maui and Kaia - they helped a lot actually. I am VERY skeptical of things like that, but it really does calm dogs down a bit. I was amazed at the result.

I recommend it for adding new puppies or new dogs to your pack. (Jessica: maybe good for Himiko)

The issue w/ the plug-ins is that once you use them you have to keep using it to see results, and one plug-in doesn't cover a very large area. So we ended up w/ 3 of them and they would only last about a month... each refill is like $30... so it was like $100/month.

We decide not to continue using them after we moved to NM.

Our behaviorist is who recommended them to us. We will prob. get one for the next time we add a pup.

(I actually think I recommend them to you for Ninja before)

• edited November -1

so its like feliway or rescue remedy?

too expensive for me with no guarentee on its effectiveness.

• edited November -1
    Brad - really? Hmm..I don't remember. Well if it worked for your shiba's hopefully it will work with mine!
  • edited November -1

Get the plug-in not the spray... the spray didn't work as well IMO.

Rina - Rescue remedy has no effect on my dogs, but DAP does. It is expensive tho.

• edited November -1

Hmmm. It didn't really work for us. I got them for the cats when Jewel wasn't lovin' the dogs. I didn't try the dog version, didn't see the need in our case. The dogs got along fine.  But it certainly is worth a try. We also had the plug-in version.

• edited November -1

im a mean owner, i tell them to deal with it lmao.

nah, if i actually have a problem, ill invest in it. so far so good. 

• edited November -1
    Didn't they test that stuff on a Mythbusters show where they were trying to get past a guard dog?
  • edited November -1

I dunno, but I would imagine it would fail at that task... I mean it is not like magic, the amount it calms the dog depends on the dog and the environment. For example, Kaia is super laid back, so to her it like put her in a comma... Maui is always wound up and stressed so for him it just took the edge off a bit.

It did help Maui enough tho that we felt it necessary to keep buying it every month for a few years.

• edited November -1
    Hehe. I intended that to be funny, not a serious question. But you're right, it didn't work. The only thing that worked was someone teasing the dog with raw meat from outside the fence.
  • edited November -1
    lol - sorry, sometimes I am too nerdy to see that something is a joke.
  • edited November -1
    Perhaps I should have added an emoticon. Undecided
  • edited November -1
    Yeah Dave, that comment totally sounded like a diss, SNOB. Laughing
  • edited November -1
    Cry
  • edited November -1

And that emotion is so uncalled for. Gosh.

LOL!!! Man, I think Barbara is rubbing off on me. hehe. JK Dave, you're the best! Cool

• edited November -1
    Laughing
  • edited November -1
    lol dave i saw that one. it was funny. especially covering themselves in pee.
  • edited November -1

Hehehe. I'm such a bad influence, Romi!!!

I love Mythbusters!!! I remember the episode. Don't remember the results tho.