Puppy feeding amounts

So we just came back from the vet and Goro is a whooping 16 lb. (we got him at 12 lb. 2 weeks ago)! LOL Big boy! We've been feeding him 1/2 cups 3x a day of Earthborn Holistic (grain-free) Coastal Catch/Primitive mix, but he devours it and then runs to eat ChoCho's food and anything else he could find. Should we be increasing his portion as he grows or is he just being a fatty? He looks healthy, so he's not starving!

Any suggestions?

-On the way to the vet. He's loving the car!
IMG_2817

IMG_2820

Comments

• I am no expert, but I just kept adding food at each feeding until she left a few bits. I think it is hard to over feed a rapidly growing puppy. Sachi put on 10-12 pounds a month from 8 weeks until about 6 months. She went from 12 pounds to 72 pounds in 5 months time. She now eats about 4 1/2 cups a day once a day.
  • Oh and...dang he is a cute one!!
  • edited May 2012
    @sachismom Thanks so much!

I checked the Earthborn Holistic website and under it's feeding guideline it says: "You may keep Earthborn Holistic® Coastal Catch™ before your puppy at all times; most puppies will satisfy their nutritional needs as their appetite dictates." (Key word: "most" puppies... I think Goro would eat until he drops dead! LOL)

Seems a little too much to me... But then again I don't know much about puppy feeding...

Not really sure I trust Goro with an ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet of kibble! He has a black hole for a stomach!
  • The thing to remember about feeding instructions is that companies who make and sell the food are in the business of making food to sell. No matter how good the company is or how good their food is - of course they want you to keep food out all the time - to get eaten, so you'll buy more food.

Most puppies (and dogs) love to eat, so he'll probably eat whatever you want to put in front of his face. I'm puppy sitting for a friend right now and I'm perpetually amazed when I remember how much puppies will eat. This pup will probably only be about 15 pounds full grown and she inhales more than my 100 pound Malamute if she's given the chance.

Kai owners will probably be able to give better feeding advice since I'm not exactly certain how large they should be full grown, but he looks very healthy in the pictures and he's gained weight since you took him home, so 1 1/2 cups of food a day sounds like a good portion for him! I'd only change if he looks like he's losing weight or his energy level decreases.
  • @Crispy thank! That's actually what Jen said! She told me to keep him on 1 1/2 cup per day, unless he's starts looking thin.

Thanks so much!
  • edited May 2012
    I had Toki on two cups a day when he was first bought home at 10 weeks for a few months, which I thought was too little, but then, I was feeding him really nutrient dense kibble, so I didn't see a reason to feed him the 4-5 cups recommended, and he looked just fine. Eventually, I said screw it, I'm giving my puppy four cups a day. A few months passed and he still looked just as fine as when I was feeding half as much.

Now, at 8 months, Toki doesn't like food. I can hardly get him to eat 3 cups a day. Nothing is actually wrong with him, he just doesn't eat much any more. Could be summer, or being spoiled, or there is an unknown female in heat in the apartment complex, or it could just be because he is growing up. Who knows. But he still looks just as fine as when he was a starving puppy.

So enjoy starving puppy stage while it lasts :)))
  • Genji is now 9 months old. When I first got him home he devoured food and was screaming, and I mean screaming for more food! I was giving 1/2 cup 3 times a day. I couldn't eat a sandwich without him trying to get at whatever food was around. And he wolfed whatever he got. Finally I decided he must need more food than my 5 year old. so I doubled his food and within 2 days he was a happy dog. Puppies are growing at an enormous rate and so I guess they really need calories. Once Genji came into his hormones then he didn't want that much food and I gradually cut back to what my older dog was getting. All is well. So don't be stingy with the puppy. Stuff him with as much food as he wants because in a short time he won't need as much.