What I know about Raw Milk

Well, some of what I know :o)

Actually, @Wryly Brindle yeah I do know a little bit. I'm a member of the Raw Milk Ass. of Colorado and there is a huge movement for Raw Milk. We have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to people called a "Herd Share" but on the farm end we are flexible to work with people with special needs etc... I've helped babies who were loosing weight and unable to digest anything but our raw goat milk... the list could go on! It's a really good feeling to provide something that can really help people/baby animals out!

Here is a small clip from just one Dr. who advocated the canine raw diet~ She says:
Milk and milk products . I usually do not recommend milk products because most
dogs lack the lactase enzyme which is essential for digestion of milk products
pasteurized cow’s milk can cause diarrhea and gas. However, raw milk (sheep,
goat, cow) is very well tolerated and can be introduced slowly into the diet if you
can find a high quality source. Processed or cultured dairy products (cheese,
yogurt, kefir, panir, cottage cheese, etc) are usually fine in small amounts and
work well for treats or supplement administration.

Here is also a link to the RMAC, I'm sure there are others that are specific to your state but I have this one by memory:

http://www.rawmilkcolorado.org/

My brother is the exactly the same way as your brother in law, lol. He too thinks I am nuts and over the years have only convinced him to take one sip, in which his wife said, "and in that one sip is going to be what kills you!". I told her she wasn't helping much!! lol She's a great sis in law, but we are cut from a different cloth!! The biggest testimony I have to it is that before raw I couldn't consume any milk or cheese without having stomach issues. Today, 5 years after I started the goat herd, I can drink it whenever I want, make our own cheese etc.. and never have an adverse reaction. And it's not just goats milk (which is easier to digest than most milks because I can do raw cow as well) I truly whole heatedly believe that the problem stems from the pasteurization of the products. There have been many studies that actually show that in CLEAN raw milk the good bacteria will actually kill and override the bad bacteria (you know the ones we are all really familiar with e.coli etc..) They don't broadcast that information real regularly. :o)

So, my opinion is that it is all about the RAW. There is also a lot of info I can throw in here about how raw vs. past. affect on cholesterol and how past. actually increases bad cholesterol and raw decreases the bad, increases the good... Also, ref. Pottenger's cats.. google that study and you'll find some really neat info that really coincides with issues we are having with our children and upcoming generations.

Annnd... when the girls are on it their coats are SO glossy and eyes are bright, I of course cut down on kibble during this time of year (which is great for saving $$$) and they are healthy and active... and poops never ever turn runny when they are on it. Oh yeah, the cat gets it too in the barn and has to be cut off of that because he ends up very leisurely playing with the mice instead of disposing of them like her should... naughty fat cat!

Comments

• can you tell me any of the differences between raw cows milk and raw goats milk? how much milk can you get from one goat? I thought about getting a few cows later in life but I don't have the resources for a cow now, but a goat sounds manageable.
  • You might be interested in reading "The wild life of our bodies" by Rob Dunn. We had to read it for our biology seminar class this semester
  • I have started my boys on and allergy girl on raw goat milk just last week. No ill effects (not that I was expecting any). I drank raw goat milk when growing up on the farm, and it has become one othe best dairy products that I am not allergic too. I get hives and my face swells from certain cow dairy products, but anything from goats is well tolerated.
  • Well, the type of goat that I raise is a Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goat. They are, as the name suggests smaller and require less feed, less space. However, for their size they produce a very nice quantity of milk, especially for families. I breed really nice milking lines so I get above average for the breed which is 4-5 lbs a day, sometimes more in peak lactation. Average for the breed is 3 lbs a day. To put into perspective ~1 pint = 1 lb. Their milk is also the most delicious and delectable of all the goat breeds. Nothing I do special, it is really breed related.
    To put it simply, cow's milk particles are larger and separates naturally into milk/cream and can be harder to digest due to the larger particles, but is more easily digestible raw (just had to throw that in, lol). Goats milk is naturally homogenized and the particles are smaller and "easier" to digest. It also has a higher nutritional value. Each herd of course can be different in that respect based on what it is fed. Goats milk is harder to get the cream separated unless you are lucky enough to own a cream separator. Both are better raw. Store "goat" milk actually have a very dairy flavor because it has been pasteurized. Not tasty at all!! Blech!!!! IMHO, I believe that store milk is slowly killing us and is what has led to "don't feed animals milk, because they can't digest it" to put it general terms. Animals are always the first to show the signs of decline because their life span is shorter. What they aren't telling us is that humans can't digest it either. I am of the belief that it is the leading cause for allergies, obesity, digestive problems, cholesterol - the list goes on. If you notice, in the news they are finding more and more people are having an inability to digest lactose.. more prevalent in upcoming generations the further away we get from raw milk. I hope in my daughters adult age that the movement for the choice for raw is in full swing and she is able to give it to her children as well.
    I'll have to look that book up! Thanks!

@lindsayt - Yay! Love it :o)
  • I would love to one day have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarf Goats, the more I learn, the more I want to become self sustainable. With all the crap they pump into and on the food these days, it's no wonder why many health issues are becoming more prevalent and "common place". I have never had raw milk, due to lack of dairy producers near me, but would love to try it some day. I hear it is very delicious, though I don't think it will ever be sold commercially due to the concern of bacteria and disease.
  • @Calia You might want to try searching for "Herd Shares" ??? Maybe you have already :o) But I know there is a ND breeder in NY, can't remember farm name off of top of head but will try to remember to look it up for you!

There are some states where you can actually sell the milk off of your farm. I can't remember who they are, I'd have to look it up again! Montana surprisingly is one where they are most rigidly against it! That surprised me a lot! Most states get away with Herd Shares so people can at least have a choice.
  • Also, I have to stress... KNOW your producers!!! The milk does have to be handled properly and kept clean!!!!!!! A good producer will let you see their process!!
  • Well the cream in goats milk would be a problem... I have a tendency to mix a little heavy whipped cream in my milk. Humans can digest milk because they developed a mutualistic bond with the ancestors of cows (forgot the name starts with a A) and the few that didn't have lactose intolerance had an added benefit and passed their genes on a little more than those that didn't.

But seriously read the book^^ The whole thing is about controversial biology stuff. It talks about ways to help with allergies and diabetes and whatnot. I don't really think store milk is "killing" us though, just lacks beneficial probiotics and reduced nutritional value. There are so many other things that are more of an issue.

Totally gonna check out the goat thing. Highly doubt I can find Nigerian Dwarf Goats around here, but I can see.
  • @CarabooA - Problem with Long Island is that the only "farms" are petting zoos, with all other farmland converted to orchards and vineyards. I do remember seeing a goat milking demonstration when I was little, but it was one of those mini goats not really meant for dairy and they reserve any milk for bottle feeding the (goat) kids. You are allowed to own goats as pets around here with a permit, but not too many people get dairy goats or bother to produce since slaughtering anything for food is like a sin.
  • @Calia - gotcha :o) Well, maybe one day you'll be able to bring a couple in for milk and be able to sell all the babies so you don't have to worry about the slaughtering part!! I'll hope for ya!! :o)

@lizzysilvertongue - since we are sharing reads - here is a neat link to the correlation of milk and cholesterol:

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/cholesterol_primer_T3.html

I don't know if it's in this same link, but I know that I've read studies where store milk is causing huge cholesterol problems vs. raw milk being good for cholesterol production... I've learned so much over the last 5 years about it I forget where I've read what!! :o)

Also, google Pottenger's cat's study on raw diet... very fascinating...
  • It is actually a very real fact that "store" milk is killing us all.

I advise all on this forum who care about their health to avoid pasteurized milk at all costs.

Pasteurized milk is one of the most carcinogenic substances we consume. It actually CAUSES BONE CANCER. When milk is pasteurized, it not only destroys the nutrients naturally found within it (which have to be artificially replaced), but it creates powerful carcinogens from the animal proteins. When you consume it, your body actually sends calcium out of your bones (because it's the most acidic substance your body can use to defend itself) to fight it. THIS CALCIUM IS NOT REPLACED BY THAT IN THE PASTEURIZED MILK. If you want further proof, look it up on Google.

Not to mention, pasteurization is used to "protect" the public from the blood and pus found within the milk of cows from Confined Animal Feeding Operations. These cows are abused and live through horrors just to produce milk on a massive scale, and this results in blood and pus being released into milk by their swollen, overworked udders. Essentially this is the evidence, and pasteurization is a huge cover up. It's also just a massive, powerful industry, that has a LOT of money to defend itself with.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Raw Milk we get from Jersey, but pasteurized milk is a horrible, dangerous, evil invention.
  • so would it be safe to say that at one point in time, pasteurized milk was once a good thing with good intentions, but has evolved to be not so beneficial, even health degrading? Or was pasteurization ever a good thing to begin with?

• edited April 2012
    @CarabooA what do you think of La Mancha and Nubian goats? There is a farm in the Dallas area that sells their cheeses to Central Market and I can pick up their goat milk at their farm, but only in gallon size.

How does raw goat milk taste different than regular, store bought milk? I'm not a fan of milk and only consume it in cereal, but if it raw tasted better, I'd be down to drink it.
  • I have nothing against raw milk, but I absolutely would not drink raw milk if I could not personally verify the cleanliness of the facility.

Sorry, not everyone can go out to a hobby farm to purchase raw milk and free-range organic meat. For some it is a cost issue. Factory farming is a shame but without a complete overhaul of the system, I don't think much can be done about it.

Pasteurized milk does not cause bone cancer. We have been drinking it since the 1900s. Pasteurized milk is much safer to consume, since it kills any harmful bacteria or fungi contained within. It also has a much longer shelf life, since pasteurization kills most spoilage bacteria. Improperly handled raw milk is responsible for three times as many hospitalizations than any other foodborne disease. It's a not a big conspiracy, it is simply safer for the general public.
  • having sat through many biochemistry and molecular biology classes.... the calcium thing is complete bs. Calcium is not acidic. Calcium carbonate is used as an anti-acid btw. protons are acidic... And calcium wouldn't be sent to fight anything, antioxidants help with carcinogens a lot. Yes they destroy the nutrients... and make weird proteins and fats with the homogenation process.

Read your sources you can honestly find anything on google. Read some scientific papers and decide for yourself if they are valid or not. Its amazing how many people cheat on their papers to make them fit what they want it to say. I learned about a wonderful duke university screw up that happened a few years ago where they did that... even made it all the way to human testing. scary scary.
  • Wow... I am just astounded. Agree 100% with @Nekopan and @lizzysilvertongue responses to that post.
  • I had La Manchas and Nubians. I have to agree that Dwarf Nubians are superior all around for small operations. I went to look at breeders last year, but opted for chickens instead.
  • @Asheaka - :oD It really is worth investigating people. And I would encourage everyone to do so. I was naive to it about 6 years ago. I spent countless hours researching and looking for valid studies, so it's not just some fly by night thing where people are jumping on some band wagon. What Asheaka said is factual. Before I learned what I did, and please believe me I looked at it from BOTH angles, I was a "sanitation" person myself and was quite a bit intimidated by going raw.

My brother has his degree in Med. Technology and believe me, he has raised every discussion FOR pasteurization. We've had many many discussions about it and when I start pulling out the studies not broadcast to the general public he is left speechless. I encourage all to seek the info to learn. And I just have to say, that all of his and my discussion remain civil because I really believe each person needs to find their own path and do the research. Whatever you choose, don't choose it because "it's what's been done for the past "X" amount of years and that's what I've been told." Choose it because you know what you are putting into your body. :o)

@jellyfart - yes, it is safe to assume that it started out with the best of intentions as people were dealing with major sickness and plagues etc... They had the best intentions with it much as people thought smoking cigarets was cool thing to do and wouldn't kill you... We have more information now and know better. I'm sure none of the dairies back then said, I know this is in the long run going to hurt people but I'm going to increase my production and sales...waaahahahaha...lol But now there is info out there that irrefutably proves it is not safe for digestion.
    Nubians and LaMancha's are fine - I prefer my ND's and the taste of their milk, personally. I also get 2x's the cheese yield due to their % of butterfat in their milk. :o) And raw goats milk tastes noooootttthing like store goat milk!!! :o)

@Nekopan - you are absolutely right, you should never ever buy milk or a herd share from someone you can't verify cleanliness from :o) Killing off the bad bacteria is correct. However, what they don't tell you about is it also kills the good bacteria that ENABLE us to digest it. Pasteurized milk simply can not be digested properly and causes many internal problems. And longer shelf life is invalid if you are supporting your local agriculture. For testing, take a gal of store pasteurized milk and a gal of raw milk and leave it on the counter for a couple of days. All past. milk will go rancid and be the most poisonous thing to consume. Clean raw milk will simply have turned to curds and whey. Something that was and still is consumed safely and healthfully. For drinking it's at it's sweetest for up to two weeks in the fridge at that point you would want to turn it to cheese. And actually, if you dig deep enough you'll find that past. milk gone bad is responsible for the most illness, not raw. Raw is just more publicized when it has. And a lot of those cases were traced to deli meat as a possible culprit as well.

@lizzysilvertongue You are absolutely right to look for valid sources and studies, all of which I have done. The organization that I am a part of has under it's belt more knowledge and fact based studies than I could possible ref. here. It also is partners with a nation wide legal organization to ensure that people at least have the choice to choose raw if they wish. The few that I posted were simply to encourage people to do more research because I can have my opinion but everyone needs to be responsible to educate themselves and come to decisions that they feel are right for their family! :o)

As a family, I feel that we were so "scared" of raw that honestly, it took us a good couple of months to really look at each other and say, "this is fabulous - I feel great, and very truthfully we felt healthier; and my husband is not one for "placebo" happiness. I could not consume store dairy products, still can't. It messes me up!! I can however, eat any product made with raw dairy with no adverse affects, cow or goat. That right there was enough to convince me.

Also, I have a friend from France who really doesn't get the whole raw adversity here in the states. It baffles her as some of their most prized cheeses are made with raw. She said, in fact that she doesn't know of anyone in her town and surrounding area who would ever dream of pasteurizing their milks. The European cultures have been doing it correctly for the longest time and they have a healthier populace than us in the States.

@lindsayt I have a lady I now who lives about an hour from me that is crossing Alpines and Nigerians and she really likes the crosses. The size is of course not as big as a standard but larger than an ND :o)

I just really encourage everyone to research it from both angles and see what you find. Open heatedly look at the raw side of it if you are familiar with why pasteurization became and still is so huge. Most who are raw advocates have already looked at it from both sides which is why we made the decision that we have.

Oh, and BTW - my brother still won't touch my raw milk and I still love him just the same ;o)

• edited April 2012
    @ carabooA - I don't think that anyone here has really denigrated raw milk. At least for myself I just am skeptical of the claim by @asheaka that pasteurized milk causes bone cancer. It's a pretty significant claim and I'd want so see a serious scientific study and information for the raw data used in the study.

Personally, I like raw milk products but I still like to see citations when people make an argument.

For an interesting and scary perspective on adulterated food, there's a book by Bee Wilson called Swindled. The section on milk (as all the others) is pretty horrifying.
  • @violet_in_seville I don't sense any denigration either. The studies that she is ref. are pretty easy to find if you do a little digging. I just really like to encourage people to search and find info for themselves, from every vantage point there is. I personally think that doing so is the only way we can really discover the truth! :o) But maybe that's just my preference because I like to be given a good starting point and then I really enjoy the research part of it...???
    I for one truly hope that nothing I have posted comes across harsh as I have no ill feelings. I'm one who can discuss things 'till the cows come home (haha - to be milked - haha) and not have my blood pressure rise even with differing opinions!
    I think in this world we have to continue to search out information for ourselves so we can say without a shadow of a doubt that we are making informed decisions. And we each have the right to go down our own paths and choose what we deem best for our own families! :o) That is my biggest concern really, is that I want everyone to just be knowledgeable and informed to make their own good decisions.
    I'd love to look up the book Swindled.. now I have two good reads to add to my list!! Thanks!
  • Just a little more info on what Asheaka said: (btw - this is quoted from a reputable source but sums it up pretty well)

"The Raw, Grass fed, Unpasteurized Milk is Alkalizing due to it's alkaline minerals with alkalizing buffers to its acidifying minerals and elements, with Goat's milk being the best. Processing the milk changes its chemical make up which breaks down the natural alkalizing buffers in Real milk making it's acidifying elements readily taken up by the body. The more it's processed the more these break down, ie:Whole Milk is better than Pasteurized which is better than Homogenized which is better than 2% which is better than Skim."

"Milk on the other hand does not contain Uric Acid as it is not composed of animal tissue. The Lactic acids in Unprocessed Whole milk is buffered by its alkaline buffers, making its calcium and magnesium readily available for the body to utilize. "

Meaning: Pasteurized milk is acidic due to the molecular changes that happen to it during the heating process. When something acidic is introduced into your body, your body naturally tries to compensate and balance. In this case it takes calcium (richest source is from our bones) to neutralize the acid. The calcium in the past. milk does not and can not replace what what taken from your bones which thus, results in loss of bone calcium causing multitudes of problems.
  • Sorry, I haven't had this info out for a while so I'm just trying to put some more research out there for people to look into, so sorry for the multiple posts: (and truly, just sharing information for those who might not have as much time or wouldn't know where to start to research) :o)

Unpasteurized milk has the enzyme phosphataze that allows the body to absorb the calcium from the milk. This allows for the digestion of lactose.
    Milk before pasteurization is rich in colloidal minerals and enzymes, which are necessary for the absorption and utilization of sugars and fats in the milk.
    When milk is heated it becomes precipitated with minerals that cannot be absorbed, contributing to osteoporosis, as well as sugars that cannot be digested and fats that are toxic.
    Unpasteurized milk has a cortisone-like factor in the cream, which is heat sensitive. This aids in combating allergies.
    Unpasteurized milk has beneficial bacteria and lactic acids, which implant in the intestines and contribute to a balanced immune system.

Thomas Cowan, MD - Michigan State Medical School
  • Oh yeah, and the big thing with raw milk for cancer prevention is that it has CLA which has been linked to fighting cancer successfully.
  • HaHA! Ok, I found one of the good ones that I had printed off and can now post the link to the article that is very good about giving the references to some specific studies that were done which then of course one could look up said studies.... Also, a very good article in itself :o)

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/drink-it-raw/Content?oid=1202527

Trying to do post these realizing that not everyone like to research like I do - so trying to share more detailed information. :o)
  • I will agree to disagree... i still disagree on the mechanics for the calcium thing. I have my own beliefs about the calcium thing and how it works negatively. But i don't feel like beating a dead horse since we both seem set on our ideals.

Other potentially interesting things possible controversial to research.

We have been talking about autoimmune diseases, such as diabetes, Irritable bowel syndrome and allergies, a lot in my seminar class. One of the more controversial ideas that I found amusing. Is that certain intestinal worms seem to delay/prevent some of these problems.

The appendix(the supposedly useless vestigial organ) is actually a house for your flora of bacteria in the intestines, and certain anti-bodies don't really fight bacteria but actually help them flourish.

Not trying to start new arguments just thought they were interesting research topics^^
  • That's what I really enjoy @lizzysilvertongue - sharing of things that people have learned!!! And we can agree to disagree. I honestly love learning what other people have learned. There's no way that any of us can know everything which is why IMHO I think it crucial we can share our knowledge and not have hurt feelings over it!
    I must say that I'm jealous though that you get to go to a seminar classes, I'm old (lol) and done with college but I really did love my Bio classes. It's what I have one of my minors in. :o) Love it and miss it, probably why I like to research is because I miss learning.... I had heard a while ago that they finally found what the appendix did, but I don't think I explored that revelation... houses our flora, huh? Wonder how that is affecting all the many people who have had that removed and if it has opened up new studies as to why they get inflamed in the first place?
    And one more thing - I don't think what you are learning about milk and how the body processes it is wrong because I think that all of those studies are based on Pasteurized milk. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that (???) The biggest thing that I learned was that you can't really even compare Past. vs. Raw because they are two entirely different entities that we put into our bodies. I think maybe if the same scientists did the same studies with raw milk they would come up with different results for "milk".
  • I love your outlook on learning. I miss college and high school for the reason. For me, college was a year and a half ago, but I already miss going to classes and doing homework and research. Those classes help me develop to the person I am today, and I think that is why I have a thirst for knowledge, so I can continue to evolve. I think that is why I really love this forum; there is so many ideas from different perspectives that it challenges my own beliefs...and I love that. so, thanks for posting about raw milk! I don't really have an opinion to give to the discussion yet, except now I am more open to the idea, so thanks!! :)
  • To everyone-(especially @lizzysilvertongue and @violet_in_seville ) I do apologize, I didn't mean to cause a stir, and I could have written that post differently. I was just so excited that the topic actually come up on this forum, and I do get a bit carried away with topics like it. I will admit that I do not know many things about chemistry and such- I'm not even out of high school, and I'm not even in high school chemistry yet. And I messed up the calcium acidity thing- my memory's good, but not perfect.

But yes, I was trying to encourage people to search for their own answers- I get very irritated about how little searching people do besides reading their homepage's news feed. That's not directed at anyone; it just upsets me how we have the internet- an infinite supply of information, and so many do nothing with it. I was just appalled by how few people knew about Joseph Kony or "Pink Slime". It's just sad. I was also having trouble finding the articles and studies I had read, and I wanted to post that post before I left for school.

Also, thank you @CarabooA, for not letting me look crazy.
  • @Asheaka - we can ride the crazy bus together...lol ahah... I too get pretty passionate about this subject... and that's ok! We all need our passions in life. :o) It's nice to know that some of the younger generation is striving to learn more about this. It's what my gma and gpa grew up on... they were really the only ones that didn't think I was crazy when I started down this path...lol
    It's good to have resources to draw on when you're telling people about what you have discovered, I'm just horrible at remembering them off hand so I have everything printed out.... somewhere... lol
    And just so you know, you're not completely off about the acidity. Something that is widely out there is that Past. milk is considered Acidic and Raw milk is considered Alkaline. You can google that and see it on any Food PH chart...
    Good luck with your Chem classes!!! :o)