Popularity of the Siba breed

edited March 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Its entirely possible that I'm just more aware of Shibas now that I've been an owner for 9 months, but I feel like they are becoming more and more popular. I'm seeing them all over the place now whereas I had never actually seen one in person before I got Lucy.

I am slightly concerned about the increase in popularity. It has implications for dogs being surrendered or abandoned as many of us know that Shibas aren't the easiest breed to live with sometimes. Also, it will perpetuate the culture of backyard breeders and puppy mills.  

Am I overreacting? 

Comments

• edited November -1

I wouldn't say you are overreacting but you are a bit late on it.  There popularity has been going up for years.  They have been in mills for years now.  Apparently some mills are getting out of them because they are difficult and don't sell as well as they would like (hooray for that).

The health and confirmation of your average Shiba is not meeting the standards it should.

• edited November -1
    My mother-in-law was telling me that I should cash in on making shibas the next fad dog.  Undecided  I hope they get a reputation for being difficult and people start staying away from them.  
  • edited November -1

They mentioned the rise of Shiba Popularity at the Westminster Dog Show too. I'm glad they were (and always are) very responsible in warning owners about doing extensive research - reading on the internet, going to dog show and speaking with handlers, etc (were some of their suggestions) - before purchasing a particular breed.

This weekend, I saw a kid with an Akita that looked just like Keigo. He didn't have a handle on that dog at all! I wanted to lecture him, but you can't with neighborhood kids. They think they can handle anything...ps, it's not like we live in such a rough neighborhood. Kids in our neighborhood just like to talk tough.

• edited November -1

Dave, I noticed that too after I became a Shiba owner.  It seemed like everywhere I would go, there was a Shiba.  But I think I was actually just looking more, since I have one now.  They have been around, I just wasn't paying as close attention.  I think that happens to most owners, you always want to see the breed of dog you have, so you tend to look for it more.

Brandon - thats great news about the mills getting out of this breed.  I just wish they would get out of every breed and leave it up to the pro's.

• edited November -1

I have had FurFace for almost 9 months and I have only seen 1 other shiba around Topeka...

• edited November -1
    after i rescued my first shiba (and learned a hell of a lot more about
    the breed by doing so) they DID seem to be everywhere - but i think i'm
    looking for them.
  • edited November -1
    Hmm. They still seem like a 'rarity' around here near Philly, PA. I've only seen a few. One mixed breed Shiba at local Petco; and my co-worker also owns one. I haven't seen any others. Once spring/summer comes around and I get out more with him, i'm sure i'll be seeing more. :0
  • edited November -1
    tobyshiba - both of my shibas were from philly rescues!!
  • edited November -1
    The only Shibas I see are at our meetups Undecided  When I take Jake to Pet Stuff the staff asks "Is that a Shiba?"   Jake's Dr. asked "where did you find him".  The trainers said "they are not popular" because of their temperments I suppose.   I believe the breed is still rare. 
This discussion has been closed.