America's Family Pet Expo - soCal

Comments

• Haha, thanks for reminder, I'll bring my camera. =)
  • This truly does sound amazing! Wish i could be there, but my wife does have family in the area and i have encouraged them to go and check it out! (and if they do make it, to try and pop in and say hello for me) Pictures are a must. look forward to seeing them.
  • What's the closest parking lot to the booth?
  • Here's a comparison pic from the Pet Expo. On the left is a 5.5 mo old brindle female Jindo who still has her puppy fur which is washing her out. On the right is @bradA1878 's 8 mo old male Kai with adult fur. In the forefront is Koda's snout. :-) ( @tjbart17 )

• nice musculature in that jindo puppy- and her headpiece is nice! I see she's got bigger paws and thicker legs than Shakko- who I think Brad said is small for a male kai his age (?), so how big will she get?

:) so many beautiful brindles! :)
  • Shakko is just a bit smaller than Nio, who is full grown (and Shakko's dad). So, I think Shakko will get a little taller, maybe an inch or so... His head should fill-out a lot too. Nio has a really nice head.

This photo really shows off Shakko's straight back-end. LOL
  • your right Brad, I had not noticed how straight his rear was.
  • @Wryly Brindle - The brindle Jindo pup has several inches to grow. My guess is a solid 40 lbs at maturity.

• edited April 2012
    do you mean his back (line of his hips/spine?) or his leg (hock)?

ann- that sounds like a nice size!- she looks great. I like her. :)
  • @sjp051993 - Some of that may just be the way he is standing. If you look at his other leg in the pic (look under his belly), it's not as straight... but yea, he has a straight rear.

@Wryly Brindle - Draw a line from his butt to his heal... the rear leg facing the camera, that line is very straight.

----
  • Yeah, his other leg shows some angulation. He would be a dog I would stack very square in the ring, where Tora stretches a little to show her angles.
  • Yeah Shakko has straight rear legs but in this picture he is also stretching them out behind him. If we had stacked him square it still would look straight just because of how his brindle is. The brindle makes them look more straight. Does that make sense?

Akashi And Shakko actually have the same exact angulation in the rear. @brada1878

Both did amazing this weekend! I couldn't believe how much they were hamming it up for the crowd! Shakko was a bit of a show stopper.
  • @tjbart17 - ah... don't say that. I thought Akashi's was better.
  • We need more pics!!!!
  • Don't have the others loaded up on flickr yet, but here's one more from the comparison shoot:

I should take a picture of my foster pup, Gracie. Shakko would look a GSD next to her. She's really straight and even has slipped\popping hocks where it hyperextends.
  • edited April 2012
    @brada1878 oops sorry. I meant for you to think that Shakko was better than you thought. Honestly Koda has great angulation so it's difficult for me to say what it is supposed to be. Koda really is an American Kai. He is almost like a different breed.
  • I love Shakko. Might want a wider muzzle on him, but I REALLY like him.
  • I agree Shig. Shakko is awesome!!!!
  • Shakko is pretty awesome ;)
  • edited April 2012
    @tjbart17 - Ignoring Koda's size, I dunno that he is that much different from our recent import Sachi (rangy, similar head). I think he is of a specific "type" that the Japanese have moved away from but still exists in the breed over there. I think Sachi is an example of this... And I don't think Wakahonjin is too far off either.

Koda's big. Like Ahi. She's huge. Doesn't make them any less awesome. ;o)

----

@TheWalrus - Yea, he could use a wider muzzle. I agree. I think he got that from Nio, Nio's got a really nice head but with narrow ears and muzzle.

----
  • Well thanks to everyone who went and is sharing their experiences!! At least I can somewhat live vicariously through that! lol Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of dog ogling by both the 2 leggers and 4 leggers from the sounds of it... :oD
  • I know our folks were focused on some of the rarer NK breeds, but where there any Shibas or AAs there? (I feel like poor Shibas and AAs get left out sometimes because they are not rare....)
  • The Shiba Inu Club of Southern California had their own booth, as did the American Akitas (who had some fine specimens of the breed) they were further up the breezeway.

Jesse
  • edited April 2012
    Looks like a great time was had by everyone. How was the turnout? Having never been to an expo of that size, don't know if the crowd gets very big.
  • The crowds were thick on Sunday. At one point I was stuck on the opposite side of the aisle from the AKIHO booth with ~30 people shoulder-to-shoulder preventing me from crossing.
  • @shibamistress I think we all visited the other booths. The shiba booth was awesome. The AA booth looked like a breeder showing her dogs. They were pretty amazing. It was good to see the two Akita booths near each other. It made it easy to explain the reason for two booths when people asked. And of course there was a lot of cross referral.
  • I wish the booths were arranged Shibas => Nihon Ken => AKIHO => American Akitas ...
  • UHHH, where are the pics? I'd very much like to live this experience vicariously through them. Thanks! lol
  • Claire,
    I talked with Marissa, current president of SCSC, and she would love that too! However, they aren't budging from their preferred spot by the refreshment booth inside the building. We might be able to make a compelling argument next year to ask for a stretch to be blocked off if all clubs were in agreement.

By the way, the postcard/bookmark takeaways were beautiful! Who ended up with all of those? I forgot to take a few...

Jesse
  • That would be a cool grouping, and it's good to have the Akitas close together so people can see the difference.

Though, Shiba ARE Nihon Ken! ;)

and yes, yes we need MORE SPAM!!!