Canny Collar

aykayk
edited January 2012 in Products & DIY
http://www.cannyco.co.uk/home.html

My local obedience club is selling Canny Collars at cost for $17 and so I decided to buy one for my 70 lb rescue dog who is a puller. The Canny Collar is a UK product that is just making its way into the US. Amazon sells it for $29.95 the last time I checked. Below is a stock photo of the product on a dog:

Sizing is very important since this is based on a buckle collar. When measuring below the jaw, the tape measure should be snug. I thought I had a size too small based on my loose measurement, but once on the dog, I had to cinch the collar several holes tighter.

I only had it for an hour and so far I like it better than the Gentle Leader for walks. My dog would steadily pull on a Gentle Leader with his head twisted and so this is much safer for him. He seems to get it that even pressure from both sides of the head means slow/stop.

Can't wait to try it out during the daytime on a full walk.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Hum, Kyuubi measures at 38cm and that is snug. It's border line size 3 to 4. Wondering, should I go the size up?

nvm, just re-measured him and it's a 35.5 ish.
  • we've had one for years, they really are a fab product. although rarely use it for venus now i used them when i had mars and it was a god send when walking both dogs together.
  • This looks pretty cool. But do they try and scratch it off like they do with the gentle leaders?
  • My dog doesn't scratch at the gentle leader so I couldn't say if Oscar would scratch at the Canny Collar.

Because the tension isn't from the side like it is with the Gentle Leader, it doesn't shift and dig into the sensitive skin below the eye. It stays on the top of the snout.
  • edited January 2012
    Interesting. I like the idea of even balance. It looks pretty much like a German martingale for horses only in reverse. The concept seems similar.

I have the same question as Shibamistress, how badly does a dog try to scratch it off? also How easy is it to get off? Is it best used for a dog with a blocky head rather than a fox faced escape artist?

Snf