Taste of Wild - any opinions?

I have a question. Recently I have found new brand of dog food, grain free - it is called Taste of Wild. Ingredients look, ok. For example ToW with Salmon:

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid. 

Anyone have opinion about this dog food?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have friends who have fed Taste of the Wild with good results.  I believe it is manufactured by Diamond foods and made this years list of Whole Dog Journal approved kibbles.
  • edited November -1
    Robert, that's a pretty little girl you got, or is she a he? Innocent  I have never heard of this brand, but the ingredients sound great.   A little more research indicates it has the same address as the Diamond dog food brands so I'll guess it's the same company.  I think Diamond got a bad wrap with a recall.  These sites may be helpful: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/dog-food/reviews.html; http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/Dog%20Food/PetFoodRatingsandAnalysis.htm
  • edited November -1
    I have a whole pack :) Two hokkaido inu (male and female), one shiba (male) and one siberian husky (female), they are eating a lot! Thanks for links, I will search this sites for reviews Laughing
  • edited November -1

I would say "I'm jealous" but that wouldn't describe my feelings that someone can actually have a pack of these Japanese potato chips.  When I purchased my little female a week ago, the breeder told me they had just started feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice.  It's rated A+ at 110.  I'm giving it a try for both my dogs now and at $18.50 for 40 lbs I am hoping it proves to be the quality indicated.  I purchased it from Costco.  Now I'm reading it is a Diamond product also.    Here are the ingredients: 

(26% protein, 16 fat) chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim mild, cranberry powder, potassium shloride, salt, sholine chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothanate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vit. B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Your thoughts? 

Keep us posted.

• edited November -1

Quite good for this price. + for lack of corn and soya.

I have started looking for more "fishy" food, since my friend has told me that japanese dogs (in Japan) are very rarely eating meat.

• edited November -1
    I found this also: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/.  Looks like Kirkland is not recommended because of the low protein content.  I haven't found Taste of the Wild, but it indicates a review was done in December.
  • edited November -1

I'm a dog food snob, I wouldn't feed my dog anything that costs less than 50 cents a pound.  I pay $40 for 15lbs of Orijen.  If it's super cheap, the ingredients are super cheap.

There is a thread on here about the whole dog journal and their yearly food review.  Look into that thread, and get a subscription to whole dog journal.

• edited November -1
    My parents had Loki on the Kirkland stuff before we took him in and switched him to Orijen.  What a difference!  Before we switched him, he stank all the time.  I mean, he'd sit next to you and you could just smell his distinct odour.  After a food change (and some proper grooming) he no longer has an offensive odour.  He was back at my parents' place for a while and I made them feed him Orijen but they were still letting him eat the Kirkland brand cat food non-stop (for some infuriating reason) and he came back smelling awful again.  
  • edited November -1
    Perhaps I'll check into the Orijen once my dogs are a little older (recommended for adults only due to high protein contents).  There are stores located in Georgia that carry the Canadian brand.  Taste of Wild would have to be shipped from West Coast.  In the interim, one long-term Shiba breeder recommended Salmon weekly so I'll buy some fresh and supplement for a twist.
  • edited November -1

They will really enjoy the fresh salmon I would think.

Please don't think that Orijen is the only good food out there (they do have a puppy formula).  There are many, many good brands, and a dogs food should be rotated every few months to give a variety of different nutrient sources.  Wellness, Solid Gold, Innova, Merrick and many others make really good dog foods.  The stuff you are feeding now is ok, better than kibble's and bits.  However I view it as, spend more on good food now and less on vet bills for a sick dog later.

Most of those brands, if you go to their website, they have store locators to find places that sell the foods near you.

• edited November -1

Kirkland (Costco brand) is good for its price, but nowadays I would much prefer a grain free diet. I'm wanting to do part raw but still haven't gotten over the nervousness of the idea of it.

Taste of the Wild I've heard nothing but good things about. I would be willing to try it. 

• edited November -1

Brandon is right about other good brands of dog food. Definitely check out the Whole Dog Journal for a list of approved brands.  You can buy from K9Cuisine.com and get free shipping if you spend $50.

• edited November -1

Sorry for a temp thread hijack but we're talking about food anyway and I don't want to make a thread just for my question or revive an old one so

When you guys talk about Nature's Variety are you talking about Prairie or Instinct?