How they used to do it

edited September 2011 in Hunting & Working
Here's how they used to test the Hokkaido on bear at shows. The narration explains that the importance of this test is to judge the dog's wariness/cautiousness. The judge explains that it is an extremely important trait for a hunting dog to have a healthy level of cautiousness. If a dog attacks from the front with no regard for the superior power of the bear, the test is stopped as it shows the dog is lacking a healthy temperament for hunting. Attacks from the side or rear are awarded points.

Comments

• They don't do that anymore?

Didn't they also do a boar test with the same set-up?
  • Nowadays the bears are usually in a pen/cage and the dogs run around it barking.
  • Interesting. OF the few bear hunt videos I've seen of hounds in the US, it always seems like the hounds are a little too aggressive with the larger animal. I respect a gritty dog, but a foolhardy dog will end up getting killed.
  • Cool vid! That brindle Hokkaido looks like a Chitose line Hokkaido. I have heard that the Hokkaido hozonkai will trap nuisance bears and use them for these tests to put some fear into the bears. Great way to check a dogs huntability and teach bears to stay away.
  • awesome video, thanks for sharing!
  • Sweet!!!

Mei is scared of bears. I never thought I'd ever see her scared of anything, but bears she won't go near. She ran back in the house in Tahoe when she smelled a bear. He was probably about 200 feet away in back of another house when she caught whiff of him.
  • Neat! That brindle Hokka is awesome looking.
    Conker attempts to go after bears. He bays and won't stop for a while after the bear is gone and tries to follow it.
  • Cool video! :D

This video makes me want a brindle hokka now haha :)
  • Neat video! I'm goint to test both of my Kais with bear when Nuuk is old enough. In Finland we are using machine bear which is real, filled bear. Here is video from it
    We also have machine elk. Here is cute video from 11 weeks old Norwegian Elkhound puppies baying the machine elk.
  • I wish there were more bears in SD, I would like to see what my dogs would do with a bear. Riki does really well and has tree'd a bear but that was ages ago.
  • I was so amused by the white Hokkaido's "fail." Oh, what are you? They tied you up? They tied ME up too. I'm so sorry... let's be friends. This was definitely more interesting than a mechanical bear on wheels.
  • @curlytails That's true but mechanical bear is way to test your dog on bear in countries where is illegal to use chained or caged animals. Of course it would be lovely to test your dog with alive animal but what can you do if there isn't so many wild bears to waste in tests. And yeah, that white Hokka was cute :D.
  • Oh Mei would tear that mechanical bear up! lol. She loves skins.
  • edited September 2011
    @Mirka "That's true but mechanical bear is way to test your dog on bear in countries where is illegal to use chained or caged animals. Of course it would be lovely to test your dog with alive animal but what can you do if there isn't so many wild bears to waste in tests. And yeah, that white Hokka was cute :D."

I thought the second stage of the bjorntest is to take the dog to the zoo and see how it reacts to a real bear? Sorry for questioning, but I would like to know more.

And I was told in Russia, most of the bears used for the test are actually quite tame. One can tell if one is a veteran when they take false swipes at the dog without any malicious attempt to injure the hound or laika.
  • @souggy Yes, that is what they do in Sweden not in Finland. My brains aren't working right now on full blast so I'm writing more from Finnish and Swedish bear tests (what I know about them) when my brains decide to co-operate with me in translating :D.
  • edited September 2011
    @MirkaM Thanks for explaining.

I know what you means by the jarring of the brain. I was talking to someone in a dialect mixed with German, Polish and Ukrainian, and... someone texted me asking why I gave the money back (she gave me $60 for some reason). Huge disaster. Although it was in English, she didn't understand the implied subjects due to the grammarcal rule of the dialect. Think after about an hour, last message I got was "Sorry, this is the last text message". Never heard back since.

Oh well.
  • Wow, those mechanical bears/elk videos were pretty interesting! And oh, I LOVED the elkhound puppies! I love elkhounds!
  • @souggy - is it legal to hunt bear with dogs in BC?
  • Thanks for sharing these great videos guys!!! I agree with what TheWalrus stated. Dogs need to be smart...like any wild canine (wolves, coyotes, hyenas, wild dogs, etc).
  • edited October 2011
    @hondru
    is it legal to hunt bear with dogs in BC?
    Yes, it is legal to hunt bears with dogs in any mountain provinces or states except Alberta. Coonhounds and Airedales are the choice breeds here; but there is one guy on a forum who does it with a pair of Border Collies, and one in Washington state (before the ban) with a pack of Pembroke Corgis-- just saying.

If one desires to hunt ungulates with dogs in Canada... Up North (NWT, Nunavut [Yukon is unconfirmed]), Ontario or Quebec is your best bet.
  • edited December 2011
    The Hokkaidoinu has the history which fought the Higuma bear.
    A judge examines heredity of instinct, not only heredity of a color and a form .
    I think that it is only Hokkaidoinuhozonnkai that examines heredity of instinct in Japan.

It is low evaluation when it attacks from the front. It is dangerous.
    It is high evaluation when it attacks from side or back. it is safety.

Higumabear live in only Hokkaido, Tsukinowagumabear live in another areas.
    higuma is strong and larger than tsukinowaguma.

• The bear which is in Japan is two kinds.
    Hokkaido is located on the No. 1 north in Japan, and is intercepted with other areas in the sea.
    Higuma is looks like your picture.
    When tsukinowaguma is translated, it is the Asian black bear, Higuma is brown bear.
    The Asian black bear is smaller [ than a brown bear ] black.
    Thing is seen only in the zoo. The footprint of the Asian black bear has been seen in the neighboring mountain. The partner who does not want to never meet.
    Bear is king of mountain in Japan.
  • edited December 2011
    I have seen tsuki no waguma near my house in kanagawa. They are a little smaller then the American black bear and have a distinct white mark on the chest which resembles a moon. Hence the name tsuki no wa or the circle of the moon. Cool looking bears for sure.
  • Interesting- IThanx for sharing.