Tanker, the dog in a St. Bernard Suit

edited September 2012 in Other Breeds
Tanker:

Comments

• I'm not a CO expert for sure, but he just looks like a Saint to me....
  • He's cute. The only female from our first CO litter is named Tankers too. :o)

I agree, he looks to have some LGD in him. I would guess GP too. A lot of the working GPs in this area have a masks and badger spots, his coloration is not super strange for a GP (tho the spots are usually gray in color not brown).

Jen says she sees Central Asian Ovcharka in Tanker - like GP/CAO mix.

As for the number of COs, they are a fairly rare breed. I'd say there are fewer COs than Shiba or even Jindo... Maybe even fewer CO than Kai Ken in America - not 100% on that tho.

Barrier frustration would be pretty typical of an LGD IMHO. A CO in a daycare setting would be a lot to take and would cause issues as they mature - guarding against "new" people and dogs. LGD don't really do great with environmental change and they have a horrible adolescent period.

@Romi had a CO that went to the daycare she works at. I think they had to ask the owner to stop bringing him. lol

----
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for the input (he does look like a very convincing St. Bernard when you see him by himself, but when you see him next to Scout - the real St. Bernard - the differences are pretty obvious) and opinions! I feel a lot better after seeing them. Whenever I see a crossbreed, I TRY to be realistic about it (going for common breed potentials before rare ones), but even GP are pretty rare around here.

• You know, as young dogs our CO are somewhat playful, but as adult it's rare that they play. I think this is the case with most LGD, and was probably the product of selection s a playful adult LGD could easily hurt small livestock.

Also, Masha will "help" if we have a dog disagreement that get out of hand. Especially if there is a redirection on us, Masha will move in to "help" us. Naum will too at times.

----