Shibas Caught on Live-Cam near Fukushima N.P.P

motmot
edited June 2011 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Those poor mites.
They may be abandoned pets of local residents.
The Fukushima people not allowed to accompany their animals when ordered to evacuate by government.
All they could is to unleash dogs and to leave to chance for their survival.

Comments

• According to comments on Youtube, some shibas are rescued by Volunteers.I cannot confirm the reort though.
  • edited June 2011
    Those are not shibas. They are JAs. What is the link for this?
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah they do look like JA much bigger than a shiba inu either way poor things.

I never had to leave my pets in a disaster I'd always brought them or stayed with them during hurricanes..

Must be hard for owners to have to do it.
  • That's scary, looks like they're right by the reactors too. Poor dogs :(
  • >>JackBurton
    Here's the link for Live-cam

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html
  • That's really sad.
  • Looks like they caught them. This is a link to the a video on the Shiba side that shows them going in to get them: http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7764&page=1#Item_0

They aren't JAs after all. Big shibas, I guess, but not JAs.
  • I'm glad they were caught so sad about the abandoned pets there. =\
  • edited June 2011
    Just thought I'd add this, in case anyone hasn't seen it on the Shiba side. I found this group, JEARS via the Misanthropic Shiba blog, and they've been going in and feeding animals in the evacuated zone, and they've even been able to reunite some animals with their people. Their website has links for petitioning the government to let people in to care for the animals left behind, many of whom are starving.

I know money is tight for most of us but even small donations help, so if you can, send them or another rescue group a donation.

This video from JEARS showed how critical the need is, and there's a Shiba in there who was left behind, but stayed in his kennel waiting for his people to come back:

The second one is Japanese, but does show them trying to rescue a JA, along with other dogs. It's really sad how many of these dogs look like older dogs:

• Thanks for letting us know about this group I'll have to make them my second donation sadly it'll be a bit small compared to my first one. Like you said every little bit helps.

• Thank you very much for letting us know about the work of those people, shibamistress!
    I'm so relieved to hear it.
    Those people are guardian angels for abandoned pets!