Wild boar (last week and today): graphic content

edited February 2011 in Hunting & Working
Today's boar. We finally got the bugger that's been cutting up hunting dogs. Over 100kg, took 4 slugs and a lot more to put him down.

PA0_0000

Last week's 50kg female. Very nice meat.

DSC_0046

Comments

• Way To Go Shigeru!!! This is awesome!!! Twice as big as the female you got last week and he looks very nice too...this is pretty amazing! I need to get into this fun sport soon! :D I really like Baron in that picture! Baron's got a deep chest and a very nice head! I like him a lot! Well, nice hogs and dog! Shigeru, you got any videos of Baron going at the hogs in the wild? It would be cool to see. Again, nice JOB!!!!
  • That hog is one ugly mofo. Nice job. I keep meaning to ask, what does wild hog taste like?
  • Awesome, man! What do you shoot? Also, what is considered a large hog where you hunt?
  • jiminy CRICKETS, look at those tusks...I'd like to see their shapes IRL. We have a really cool book- The Skull Alphabet Book - which is like a bestiary, except all the animals are their illustrated skulls and you look at them for clues about the animal, plus you know the letter it begins with. (Maybe I'm a weird mom...) At the end is a "bonus skull" of a babirusa- a wild asian pig with tusks that circle wildly back at its face-understandably the illustrator couldnt resist including it, even though they already had a B.
  • Mmmmm Bacon :9
  • Good job, Shigeru & Baron!
  • congrats.....I wish we had wild boar where I live. Only high fence hunts. Which I don,t think is right, and would never do it. I,m very jealous lol....good job!
  • While artery-clogging and fattening bacon is tasty, the wild pig must be more unhealthy. I don't remember the taste but the 2000 Independence saw me eating peccary/Javelina. For the record, they are not pigs but they are in the pig family. That is, they are in the Suiformes suborder of the Artiodactyla order but they are each in their own family.
  • Awesome Shigeru! :)
  • Cool! I bet she will taste good!
  • Nice job Shigs! I bet you're proud of Baron. Two pigs in two weeks = a freezer full of good stuff. :-)
  • Awesome! That must be some pretty lean meat since it's wild game, right?
  • edited February 2011
    Right on Shigeru! Man I'm falling behind big time, wish there were as many hogs over here as there are in Japan. Ho's Baron doing with the hogs? Is he becoming a good saki inu?

By the way wild swine meat is very healthy and better for you since there are almost zero colestrol and more lean meat then the stuff you find at vons. Oh and also no hormons and chemicals. Cant get better than that.
  • Neat! Looks like you had some good hunts. And Baron is a handsome Kishu as well.
  • I agree with you @shishiinu. Wild animals are healthier to eat!
  • Awesome! I'll be looking forward to Boar Stew sometime in the future!

Baron looks like he might have matured a bit more since last I saw him (November 2010). Very handsome boy!
  • Very cool!
  • Awesome pictures Baron is so handsome and has grown up nicely.

How does he do on hunts?

I've never eaten boar, but bison, deer, and grass fed beef definitely taste better so my guess boar taste good too.
  • I really need to try some hunted meat. My whole theory with hunting is that I'll do it for food, but I've never really had wild game. Not sure where to get it. Maybe I'll call the local hunting club? I can see it now: "Err, hi, can I have some of your meat, please?"
  • yeah if you don't no a hunter its hard to find hunter game meat. There are places where you can purchase game meat but it all comes from a farm.

Just make sure you don't ask to "buy" meat from a hunter. Its a federal offense and usually a state violation to sell sport hunted game meat. Its part of the ban on the sale of commercially hunted game.
  • I got free deer from a craigslist ad the hunter was cleaning his freezer and had some freezer burned Saya got two deer loins, deer roast, deer steaks and deer stew meat I actually cooked some for a omalette it tasted good it was still good looking actually..

My dad's friend hunt mainly game birds sometimes deer, but no one eats it, but himself I might ask him to gather the liver, kidney, heart, and lungs and any scrap meat he doesn't need.

Bison is yummy very low fat compared to beef we made bison sausage and gravy it was great. =)

Hope you get some game meat to try. =)
  • Thats a nice looking boar. 100kg is big! Some good size tucks on him. Your dogs did you proud.