Jindos imported for police work

aykayk
edited October 2010 in Other Breeds
The Korean news reported today that two Jindo pups in Korea were selected by two LAPD K-9 trainer for police work training. Here's a notice in English before the trainers' trip to Korea:

http://www.lapdonline.org/newsroom/news_view/46333

I've got to say that I have mixed feelings on this.

First of all, these aren't the first Jindo to be sent to a police department for training. Earlier this year, some were sent to the Glendale PD for training. So, the LAPD receiving Jindos isn't so ground-breaking.

Second, it says that their potential roles are "police service dogs and/or gun detection dogs". Police service dogs are the ones sent out to restrain criminals, correct? I find it extremely hard to believe that a single 40 lb dog could restrain a 180 lb+ man. I can see some Jindos being adequate as gun detection dogs though. I've seen one with ball drive do all sorts of stuff.

Comments

• Interesting story, though. I do see your point about wondering about if a 40 lb dog could restrain a large adult.

Makes me wonder why Jindos? Seems like an AA could be trained for this kind of thing....certainly they have the size....
  • Keep in mind the malinois is used for police work and is not much bigger.
  • AA's have the size, but not the stamina or the ability to jump on things and get around small corners. Picture a chase.

Kevin's right Malinois are not much taller, but they are stronger. Someone somewhere thinks they can train these dogs, but I would wonder why they aren't using them to search for cadavers (?sp) first. That's kind've like the first test job for police dogs. I have an Uncle by marriage in-law but family who trains police dogs. I will ask him what he thinks next time I see him. He trained a Giant Schnazer one time. I just found that odd. Maybe I just don't like those dogs.
  • Hmmmm sounds to me like its one of those, if its free we'll take em type of deal. Right now with the financial downfall of the state and the need for Le K9's are increasing I think they are taking whatever they can get.
    As Kevin said a the size of a Jindo isn't that much different then a Malinois but with the price tag of over 20K per dog, its probably more cost effective to do this.
  • My husband said Gain Schnauzers were used sometimes as police dogs in Germany.....

Makes sense about the AA in stamina and uh...gracefulness (ability to jump etc). I hadn't thought of that!
  • aykayk
    edited October 2010
    Just found a picture of the selected dogs.

They're from Jindo island itself and will be sent with papers.

My guess is that they're all males.