My vicious killer GSD

Hi all. I was at training tonight with my GSD Vega, and she did SO great! We were working with a bit of obedience which went well and we also worked on her defence skills. I have always been confused by the fact that we call it prey drive in the GSDs when they attack a dummy, even when the dogs totally ignore birds, rodents and other wildlife. That is more like prey in my mind, but the two "worlds" use the term "prey" differently I suppose ;o)

But anyways, Vega went crazy and was barking and jumping, pulling as much as she possibly could to get at the dummy and the trainers and my collegues were very impressed with her, she did very good, and I am SOOO proud! :oD My little vicious killer! ^^

They were even more impressed, since she is actually out of a show line, rather than a working line, so she has talent alright! I'm one proud dogmama ;o)

Not from today, but it shows her "prey drive" pretty well:
Photobucket

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thats super cool. I been trying to get my Rottweiler to do defensive work since she is so protective of my family, especially my kids. How does one get started with this type of work?
  • edited November -1
    Rottweilers are also a good breed for defensive work, there's 2 rotties in my training group. The bitch is a mean one ;o) Haha...

I started by going to training with some experienced dog trainers. I train in the PoliceDog Association, but there's also a special club here for GSD. I'm not always fond of their methods, which is why I train with the PoliceDog Association.

I'm certainly not the one to teach others, as I'm rather new in this myself, but if you have any training facilities nearby or know some GSD people, they are likely to know, where you can get started. For starters you train your dog on the dummy like I talked about in my first post. This is to teach the dog how to bite (solid, steady bite, with no chewing, as this can make them loose the dummy (and later on the man they are chasing)), and to check the dog's prey drive is strong enough. It's really an exciting and rewarding way to train your dog, and despite what some people fear, if they are trained correctly, they don't get any meaner, or make them attack easier... But they will know the commands, and if allowed where you live, you can get your dog to munch on a thief's butt! XD Haha... <- Very bad joke, I know ;oP