Tuula

124»

Comments

• Sounds like a Shikoku. lol
  • She's not being nasty, just a pain in the ass. Kind of like me.
  • So Tuula's humping everything in sight. Or rather, she's humping every dog around.
    What's the story on this? I've never had an intact female, so this is new to me. She could be coming into heat again, since she was in season in February.
  • Yea, our girls will hump each other during heat and just before their heat. I *think* it's an instinctual behavior used to attract male attention so they can pick a mate. They will hump male dogs too, it's like a natural temp. test.

----
  • Koyuki was humping every thing during her first heat cycle. She was going nuts cause Taro wouldnt even look at her so she started humping all the dogs wether they liked it or not. Sammi thought it was fun and humped her back, the month of may was like a big giant hump fest for the dogs.
  • Ok this is funny......
  • I never had an intact female or had this issue with humping so not sure.. I'm sure someone on here can help with Tuula..
  • edited January 2012
    I've typically been annoyed when I hear people asking questions about why their dog won't eat.
    Tuula flat out refuses to eat Blue Wilderness. Her appetite is great for raw. I have a bunch of venison trimmings in the fridge and she'll go nuts on that if I put it out for her. But no dice on the Blue.
    Do I take the tough-love approach and let her decide when she's really hungry or should I oblige this tendency? Blue forms the basis of the dogs' diet. I've been supplementing with raw and doing some whole raw meals. I've gone tough love the last couple days.
  • Not sure..

Saya hated kidney and wouldn't touch it when she was new to raw so I'd started giving them in smaller pieces and offering the pieces first if she ate some or all of the pieces she got her meal if she didn't I took it away and offered another time and eventually she ate the small bits of kidney right away.

Now she eats kidney big pieces, thawed or frozen fine.

Coarse that's with just refusing one item so I dunno with kibble.

liver and other secreting organ is important for raw fed dogs so She had to eat the other secreting organ.. I guess if kidney wasn't good I could have fed beef thymus fine and mix kidney in caned fish or ground meat to get kidney in her..

Not sure which way be best for picky eater with kibble. She doesn't like blue maybe try Totw? maybe try soaking it in water? Bit of salmon oil on the kibble?

When had this happen maybe it's a phase? I'd think hunger would win out eventually. Lucky you got some deer trim I love to get some for Saya.. need my own freezer though..
  • Hunger won out.
    She went a couple days without eating and I hunted with her a couple times, so she was exercised well.
    Last night, she begrudgingly ate her ration of kibble. Afterward, I let her have some of the good stuff.
  • That's good. Saya went three days once when she was on her kidney strike.. She's pretty good with not over eating so if she eats big meal like 13oz then next day she gets fast and a small meal after that.

Exercise seems really help with it too. Long walks keep Saya happy.
  • Exercise makes a huge difference.
  • It's nice to see how well our Karelian's are doing in the world :) I have grow up with these dogs when my grandmom and her brother had KBD mixes (mix with finnish spitz or laika). They didint hunt with them in purpose, but they sure keep their yeard cleand from river rats and other creatures. Great dogs and happy to see how well Tuula is doing with hunting! We dont have show lines (YET!!) for KBDs and I sure hope they will stay just for hunting. Mostly they hunt moose's or bears with them.

And about the blue eye, it is quite rare with KBDs but it happens. Some old people say that those are also best hunters and they will give good hunting abilities also for their puppies ;) But what i know the blue eye comes from "Tyndall scattering". Basicly it's not blue but it is without any color and in light it will look like blue. But they dont know for sure how it happens. There seems to be many different theories. If you want I can ask their club here if they know anything more :)
  • @tensai-- How were your dogs temperment-wise since you did not hunt with them? Did you (or your family members) do any extra activities with them? If so, what?
  • Well my grandmom's dog was mentally like tiny child. He got hit with car two times when he was young and run away. He was nice dog, but there was something wrong with him. All other dogs in our family hated him, especially terriers. They always just attacked him and he just stand there and scream. He didint behave like dog should have and didint know the dog language. His brother in the other hand (what was at my great uncle) was more dog and there wasnt nothing wrong with him. Except he was fat like pig in the end -.- Basicly he hunted river rats etc in their yard and neighbourhood. It is kinda hard to remember because those dogs died about ten years ago.

But yeah, i'm from countryside where it is quite common that people have these dogs or their mixes. And back then dogs lived outside quite freely around the village. (though all our dogs spend most of their time with family in the house). Our dogs didint have papers and we got them free from my mom's boyfriend :P My uncle's dog looked and acted just like KBD (most likely he actually was pure because my mom's bf had male and female hunting KBD) and my grandmom's was more like sesam (so most likely his father was laika or some other dog).