Three Kai

Perhaps it's just a story, but isn't there tradition of kai ken hunting in threes? Three is a funny group number, as play is often in pairs...do kai have greater affinity for pack living than other dogs?

(what a brief question!)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Well, I recall reading a discussion by a Shiba judge on Shiba hunting techniques. He described how the "most experienced Shiba" would be sent out to find the game. The most experienced Shiba would then be joined by two or more less experienced hunting dogs who would join it to " bay" the game.
  • edited November -1
    Don't know about tradition, but most hunters I know that run NK do so in packs of around 3 (for big game). Especially on boar, too many dogs can mean too little space for them to move, and more dogs end up getting hurt. It's also harder to control a larger pack of NK.

To make it easier on the dogs, having the same total weight in dogs as the boar's weight increases their chances of stopping it. As dogs become more experienced they learn to handle boar better, and you can use less dogs. A dog is recognized as being truly skilled when it is able to stop boar solo. I've seen a single Kishu stop a boar over 100kg solo, but that's rare and requires a truly amazing dog.

I've seen Kai stop big boars solo too, but they're technique is quite a bit different. A Kishu is more of a catch dog, while Kai tend to bay more. It can be a lot harder to get to the boar with a single Kai stopping it, because the boar doesn't really feel threatened by the dog so will run when they sense the hunter getting close.

I haven't necessarily seen the Kai to have a greater affinity for pack living than other NK, but Kai packs look amazing. When you see a pack of Kai hunting in the mountains, it's a beautiful thing.
  • edited November -1
    "When you see a pack of Kai hunting in the mountains, it's a beautiful thing."

I bet!
  • edited November -1
    Shigeru...so take a picture so we can all experience this "beautiful thing!!!" :p ~
  • edited November -1
    I second Shigeru san. Most NK hunters will use no more then 3. For a long time I just used 1 dog and then started using 2. Here is the US, hog doggers use 5+ dogs with 1 or 2 of them being a bully breed ctach dog.

Kishu's being a stubborn, headstrong breed tends to naturally become catch dogs so using just one Kishu may pose a bit of a risk for injuries. When I used Riki by him self, he used to get nicked and torn alot more but after awhile he figured it out that its safer to be a bay dog. Yuki is a bit of a go getter and she will go right in and get dirty. I'm hoping I can train Taro into gaining confidence into going in and catching pigs but If I hunt him by him self, I would much rather have him become a bay dog.

All this pig dogg"n talk is really getting me pumped, I'm hunting this weekend damn it with or without wife's approval!
  • edited November -1
    I'm still buried in paperwork for a firearm and hunting license. Otherwise I'd be out there this weekend too! I need a break from work BAAAAD.
  • edited November -1
    "I'm hunting this weekend damn it with or without wife's approval!

Careful Gen, or you might end up in the dog house :p <--- crappy pun alert! ~