What if something happens to me?

edited January 2008 in General

The issue was brought up in another topic and I'd like to discuss it further here. Where it applies to ourselves. Do we all have back-up plans for the unexpected?

This is also something I've been thinking about. My animal count flunkuates (sp?), often at times I do have a good majority of "pets". Though, recently my animal count has been at a stable and reasonable level.

It is, however, growing, especially with the new addition of my Shikoku pup. I'm also expecting a new kit (Birman or Siberian) sometime this year. Then assuming I get the titles done and find a stud of my liking (I'm very picky)...I will be expecting a litter of Malinois pups within the year or so. I will, of course, be keeping a puppy myself. Which brings my animal count up. Shoot, Lynx could have anywhere from 5-14 pups in a single litter (I even thought about keeping 2 pups (if she has more then 10)! <--- I'm crazy, lol).

What if something happens to me? I'm the sole caretaker of all my animals. Rarely, do I ever leave them in the care of others and most certainly not the public but a trusted family member or friend (who is responsible AND also is either a "dog" or "cat" person or both, depending on which animals may need to be "watched" during my absence). Now, I don't expect anything to happen to me for many, many, many years, but one can never truely know.

The possiblity still exists. I do have many people...family members and friends. That will take over the care and needs of my animal crew. They won't all end up together, but they will each be able to live happy and healthy lives. And they will each be loved and cared for. That's all the matters.

I don't have a Will, but do I really need one at this point? <--- though I'm considering to write one and just update it as I age. What do you think?

I do believe that my animals will be in good hands and with great care and happy lives. Should anything happen to me. So, my animal count continues to increase. Since I'm still alive and well, I am more then capable of taking care of them myself. I guess when I run out of family members and friends who can take in my animals...then that's when I should stop getting more, lol!

What's you story? Have you thought about this?

Comments

• edited November -1

You have a very good point Corina and its something that people must face face every day, whether they have pets or children. I think its a good idea that they be written in a will. I am very glad that it has come up because they are our children and if something every did happen to us we would want them to be in the best possible hands as possible. However, in all of our situations, most people do not know about our special breeds, which is kind of scary to think of if an uneducated person had to take them in. Its not like a Lab or a German Shepard that you go to the store and buy a book on their behavior or know their behavior because you know of someone who has them, our situations are very different. Not that they couldnt ever be happy with someone else, its making sure that they are a perfect fit and that person is educated, otherwise that relationship will fail.

For myself, if something ever happened, My husband would take care of them, but if something happened to both of us, then I would leave them with my parents or his parents. We are still kind of young (24-25) so our parents are in their 50-60's and also understand our breeds behavior. What scares me is that most people do not understand the Japanese breeds behaviors, especially the Shibas or the ones who have a tendency to be aggressive. Having said that, I am going to make sure I write a will with them in it because it is never to early to be careful and I know that I do not want them to be put in a bad situation or the humane society if that ever happened, because as if they were real children, we would want the best for them.

• edited November -1
    Jay and I are actually sitting with our lawyer soon to draw that up into our will. We are not having children, so basically a trust fund will be established for the care of our animals who will be left to our friends Jim and Kristina
  • edited November -1
    Kohji would live with my mom, Taj would live with my sister and her husband, and News would go back to his breeder.
  • edited November -1

Jen and I discussed it with our families before we left for Taos...

- Hilo will go to Jen's mom and dad, or her sister depending on the time.

- Maui and Kaia will go to my sister - Maui does well with my sister.

- The Shikas would go to Katja (their breeder).

- Kona... not sure yet. Any takers? (j/k) Tongue out Really tho, my brother would probably get Kona.

I'm glad you guys are thinking about this tho, and I'm not surprised that you are either... you are all amazing dog owners.

Jen and I have even set some money aside to help in the event we passed and someone had to take on the extra expense.

• edited November -1

Also my financial planner was adamant that a will is something that every adult needs. He wouldn't take us as clients without one. It also insures that our animals are safe, in case we die in some sort of accident and animal control gets involved.

Never hurts to ensure that your pack will be cared for as you would see appropriate, you can express feeding instructions, and housing situations. You can also ensure that any monies set aside for them would be used how you deem appropriate.

Jeez!!! I am starting to sound like a grown up. 

• edited November -1
    I WANT KONA!  This is something we have never even thought of.  Absolutely needs to be discussed, especially since we are planning on having kids.  Im scared now!  I dont know who I trust!  Ditto on any takers?  Brad????
  • edited November -1
    If something happens to me, my boyfriend will take some of the animals, rehome some. If something happens to both of us, then my animals are just screwed because I don't know any family or friend who would want them. Hopefully that'll change sometime in the early future but for now, my animals are looking at a very shaky future after my passing.
  • edited November -1

oh man... Niko is my buddy... How could I pass that up! It would be like having 2 Kaias!

Tho our Niko/Sasha/Ahi/Maui mixer didn't go to well. Undecided

• edited January 2008

I think if something happens to any of us, our doggies should be adopted by Brad and JenSealed

Brad wouldnt that be funny, well not funny per say, but you get a call one day from a stranger and they say that your a proud new owner to these animals as per their will. LOL.Tongue out

• edited November -1

We would be honored! - but then Jen would probably crap her pants. Undecided 

Jen works so much harder than me, and I'm the one with a job! lol

• edited November -1
    I know that my mother-in-law would definitely take Tojo because she really likes him and he really likes her.  When he was just a little puppy, he stayed with her while Noah and I went away for our anniversary and she took him to work and everything.  I think they reallly bonded.  This past summer, my MIL was staying in a camping trailer for the weekend near our house and Tojo kept bolting out the door (he's not typically a bolter) and running to her trailer, looking for her.  Anyway, all that to say that my mother-in-law probably wouldn't let anyone else have him if Noah and I were dead!  As for Loki, I already sort of have "joint custody" of him with my parents, since he was actually their dog and I took him because my dad got an out of town job and my mom opened a store - long story short, they really just didn't have time for him, but he's at their place on most weekends.  As for Rakka, I'm not sure.  My MIL might take her, too, but I don't know if she'd actually want to (I guess I should ask).  My brother-in-law offered to take her once (actually, he asked me if I would give her to him) but I seriously would not even consider letting him take her.  His idea of owning a dog is letting it run free and not feeding, grooming, providing shelter, or otherwise caring for the animal.  So basically, he'd be releasing her into the wild where I'm sure she would resort to travelling to nearby ranches and killing livestock and being shot, so... no.  If my MIL doesn't take her, then she will have to go back to Katja (breeder).  Speaking of wills, I should get one!  I've thought about who would take my (human) kids and I haven't even decided because I don't know anyone who would raise them the way I would.  *sigh*  What to do...
  • edited November -1
    I think we are not allowed to have a Nihon Ken Forum meetup. If something was to happen Katja would end up with a boat full of dogs lmao.
  • edited November -1
    okiron - LMAO!
  • edited November -1
    Lol!  
  • edited January 2008
    HHAHAHAHAHA good one Rina! I haven't thought of a will yet either. But i am not married or thinking about having children yet...so maybe thats why. Although I do consider Portia and Ninja my babies. I would probably give them to my parents. I know I can trust them with anything and know they'll do their best with whatever it is. I never really thought that any of my animals would outlive me. But accidents happen all the time. Its funny the other day my mom was talking to me about getting life insurance...and i was like "whaaaaat?! im only 21!!!" but she then informed me its much cheaper if you start younger, it would help out my significant other or family for funeral costs and yada yada yada.

I also talked to Katja about some Shikokus...i think ill get one of her 2009 litters! I also gave her everyone in my family's name for suggestions on japanese names...she said she's never heard of any of them! So maybe one of her puppies might be named after me or someone in my family...that would be kewl!
  • edited November -1

Being single and childless makes it even MORE important to have a will, because it is even less clear where your assets should go. Especially if you want to leave anything to non-family. Like if you want your boyfriend or best friend to take care of your pets, or your record collection, that NEEDS to be specified in a will.

Also SUPER important. LIVING WILLS. 

I think it is hilarious that I am writing about this. I am a freaking makeup artist for gods sake! But I am doing all this with my lawyer right now.

• edited November -1

Brad I told you I would take Ahi!  Mark it down!

I don't have a will, but I'm pretty sure if anything happened to us, the owners of Turi (Nemo's brother) would take him.

• edited November -1

I have been thinking about this all night!  There is no one in my (or chad's especially) to take my pups!  Maybe my mom will take Sasha, but not with what she is going through right now.  My cousins are not animal people.  I know my mom will take kitty.  Chad's family loves Sasha but I dont trust them to meet her needs or work with her issues....So Brad or Jess it is!

Yea Brad-didnt work so well when your two wanted to show niko they were top dog.  Niko, Kai and Hilo loved each other as Sasha drooled everywhere!  Everyone loves Niko, but no one gets the shiba. 

• edited November -1

Brandon - I forgot about that - you called "dibs" on Ahi, I'm sorry.

(BTW, I was not sure how to spell "dibs" so I looked it up - this is kinda funny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibs - I love Wikipedia)

Rachael - You know we would take your pups if it was an emergency, no worries.

• edited November -1

Well, since we are "talking" about who our animals go to:

- Lynx and any Malinois pups "I" (Lynx) produce(s) are in good shape. Both Lynx's breeder AND the owner of her sire, who are also my friends, will volunteer responsiblity for my Mals (I know they will!). The pups, should be fine, assuming all their homes work out, if not, then I know they will be able to find the few (you know it's gonna happen every now and then, unfortunely), the appropriate homes (Lynx's breeder seems to have an endless list of people who want Mal puppies, lol). I know that my Mom wouldn't mind taking Lynx, because she likes her (<-- My mommy is getting a Lynx puppy!). My dad would also take care of her, if need be. I think though, that she would most likely end up living with her Daddy (Sire) and his owner (because she LOVES Lynx so much and had a hard time "giving her away").

- Kei -laughs-, he has SO MANY options, it's truely ridiculous. My mother and little sister would definitely take him. I have many friends who would LOVE to keep him. They often volunteer to "puppy-sit" but can't promise to give him back, lol. And I know especially my Siberian Husky friend, she'd "snatch" him up right away! "Oh...Corina died? That sucks, oh well...I get to keep her puppy!" <--- What kind of friend is that?! lol. He'd be spoiled, that's for sure! And I suppose he has the option of traveling over seas back to his breeder in Japan. I'm sure Katja might even keep him or...maybe somebody on the forums? Heck, even random strangers would adopt him. With him, he is a perfectly good house dog, pretty much any "pet" home that is very disciplined with rules and pack order with their dogs and provides the necessary physical and mental exercise that his needs, could take care of him. He LOVES people of all ages and is surprisely VERY compliant! And very relaxed and "kick-back". And he'll get along with just about any animal, except he likes to squash little bugs!

- Cutie already lives with my dad, being the "family cat" that he is. Mia and Fiskars will go to live with my mother and little sister, they have no other option.

That is a great idea to set up a trust fund, but considering the animals will most likely end up in separate homes...how do they decide the split? Just equal amounts for each animal?

------------------------

In general, I will voluntarily assume responsiblity for Shikoku! So, if Katja ends up with a "boat" full of dogs, then I can help out by taking a few in my care. I know her and George were in the process of building indoor and outdoor kennels. I wonder if they've finished? It is going to be so awesome! She definitely has the space for so many dogs, but it will be difficult to spend the one on one time. So, if anyones Shikoku has no where to go, feel free to "dump" that Shiku on me! I think the Shikoku is in good shape.

Hopefully, I will be saving enough money...so that I can get into an even bigger place and one of my very own (maybe within the next 2-3 years???). I want something zoned for Horses, for sure. Though, my roommates don't seem to care how many dogs I have:

Roomies: "Just don't have like 19 dogs!"

Me: "So I can have 18...or 10?" -grins- Nah, I told them I'd stop at 4, but I could actually have up to 6 dogs as perminent residents. And then anymore just temporarily. However...my dad doesn't use his yard, so I can always keep more dogs there, if need be! lol. I'm so bad.

------------------------

Rina - I'll be happy to take in the rabbits and cats! If I have the space, I'll definitely keep them. Otherwise they can stay with me until the appropriate homes are found.

Brad - It looks like Ahi has a home -vbg-. So I'll opt in for Loa!

• edited November -1

Aww Corina thanks for your nice offer. 2 of my buns are flemish giants though, they're only 3 months old now but their estimated growth is about 20 lbs. They're already getting bigger than the cats. 

I was talking about this all night with a friend of mine and Errik, depressing them both completely. It looks like even in the worst case scenario, they'll have great homes to go to, even if it's just to be rehomed later on. At least my animals wont have to go to animal control. I just gotta leave enough money in my will to transport all the animals and then some.

Now let's just not complicate the matter and have any kids. I only have a long list of people I don't want my kid going to.