Stolen Crate!

edited January 2008 in General

-begin vent- 

I'm so upset!

I drive a Toyota Tacoma with an open bed (no cover/shell on back). I keep my vari-kennel crates back there.

Yesterday, somebody just came by and "jacked" Lynx's crate (a 400/Large)! With the water bucket and clip inside. My truck was IN MY DRIVEWAY. And I was home when this happened! They had to take the nice one, I had a bunch of dirty dog towls in the other 400, probably too much time to take them out. 

They did, at least leave Kei's 200/medium crate. Phew! Cause I bought that one in Japan (I took it out from inside the truck and put it in the back, I meant to clean out all the crates).

I guess, on the positive note, that's the only thing they took. However, still that's MY CRATE! And it was on MY PROPERTY! Talk about invasion of space...

...I tried looking for it last night around the neighborhood - thinking, it's got to be somewhere nearby. If I had found it, I would have taken it back!

I'm still going to look around today for it. I'll know it's mine because I wrote "Lynxiene" in small letters on one of the sides (which I hadn't be able to wash off, so it's there permently). When I find it, I don't care where it is at, it's mine and I'm taking it back.

-sighs- That thing cost me $110, plus the $10 for the water bucket and $2 for the clip. I have bills to pay, I can't just go an buy another one. How inconsiderate.

When/if I do buy another crate, I guess I will have to take them out and keep them in the yard or garage until I need to use them again.

I've NEVER had this problem before. I've always kept my crate in the back of my truck, easily accessible and on public property. To only get it stolen when it is on my territory. It doesn't make sense.

So, yeah, I'm upset, maybe even more so for not "listening" to my dog. Lynx doesn't bark for stupid reasons. So I should have "investigated" every bark she made, but I just ignored it - figuring she was just barking at the neighbor's dog.

I thought about putting up flyers for a missing crate, because it'd be funny and they can't get away with stealing, it's wrong!

I'm going to invest in a camera now too, to monitor my front yard. It'll be like $500 but well worth it. Then I can connect it to my laptop and T.V. for recording.

And when I get my kennel runs up, I'm going to be locking those too. If they can come and take my crate from my truck while I was home (during broad daylight!). They might just as easily try to invade my yard and try to steal my dogs. Lynx, I'm not worried about but Kei I would be. They are in crates or with me when I'm not home, but I do want to start leaving them outside when I go to work during the day.

You might think it strange that I'm overreacting or taking it too heart. However, maybe this was a "wake-up" call.

Things that never happen us...actually do.

I do have a gate on my front yard, so now I'm closing it. I'm going to tell my roommates to please do the same. Then while I'm home, I might just start allowing Lynx access also to the front yard. So she can keep a much better watch.

Thanks for "hearing" me out!

-end vent-

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow Corina, that is horrible!  I can't believe someone would steal something from you in broad daylight at your home!  Man, I would be super pissed too.  Maybe you can chain the crates into your truck bed with a lock in the future?  What kind of person steals a crate anyway!?
  • edited January 2008

I thought about getting a metal crate. You can't steal that one unless you had some kind of a fork lift, lol. They are way too expensive though and it would be difficult for me to move for cleaning underneath it.

I plan on eventually getting a cover/shell for my truck bed and putting in a key lock.

-shrugs- I guess they really needed the crate (water bucket was included)? They didn't bother with the other ones. I mean, they could have just as easily taken Kei's 200/medium crate and that came with a toy, lol! <--- but they didn't. So I guess that was all "they" needed.

It makes me wonder, if Lynx was still in the crate, would they have tried to steal it? Or maybe go after the other one with all the dirty dog towls or the smaller crate??? Would "they" have taken anything at all? <--- then again, if Lynx were still in her crate and somebody tried to take anything, I would know immediately!

Cause she has this bark that is so different then any of her "warning" barks (which are generally soft, quiet and low) or "alert" barks (which consist of a series of howling and broken barks), it is more of a "defensive" bark (very deep, hectic, bark-growl). <-- she means business! Guess they would have to be pretty stupid to try.

• edited November -1
    wow - that sux. Sorry to hear that! Getting something stolen from you is a very violating feeling.
  • edited November -1
    Wow corina that sucks big time. God, that would have been crazy if you would have walked outside and saw them in the middle of lifting it out of your truck! Just remember it could have been worse tho, what if they tried to take it with one of your dogs in it like you mentioned. You mentioned about how you were gunna leave your dogs outside during the day when you are at work, man I am so paranoid about someone comin by and tryin to scoop up one of my dogs out of my backyard. I live near Flint, Michigan and there are a lot of people who fight pitbulls in Flint, Pontiac and Detroit and there are always stories about kids stealing dogs out of people's backyards to use as bait dogs. My dogs are pretty menacing when people approach my yard or walk down the street past my property, and I'm sure Lynx can be too. Smart move regarding getting the camera for your yard though. This seems silly but maybe you could put a bunch of bells on the sides of the kennel if you decided to keep them in your truck to alert you and Lynx if it happens again? Karma's a bitch though, it'll come back to them.
  • edited November -1

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Having your stuff taken sucks. Not to mention it is a complete violation!

That blows.

I'm sorry 

• edited November -1

Wow, im sorry.  I know my girls barks also.  Chad always looks at me wondering what the bark means.

Ditto on Karma, or whatever it could be called...It will get them.  Im glad they left the truck!!  And you and the kids are ok! 

• edited November -1
    Man, that sucks.  Noah and I are looking into getting a truck and we will definitely be getting a top for the bed!