Jackpot!

Some folks I go to church with are cattle ranchers and said next time they butcher a cow they'll give me all the bones I want, plus some older meat (that's been frozen, so it's safe, just not appetizing) to make way for the newer meat.  Yipee!  The pups will have a beef feast.  

It sure is good to live in this area!  Someone also told me that if I spent the day helping them butcher cows, they'd pay me in meat, but I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, though... butchering cows isn't really my thing.  

Anyway, does anyone know which beef bones are safe and which are not?

Comments

• edited November -1

I think most beef bones are safe.  Nemo really likes "knuckle" bones, which are some sort of joint, maybe knee.  Though his are smoked.  Big meaty marrow bones from the legs will get the dogs excited, as they like the delicious marrow inside.  Short ribs are nice and big and would probably work for chewing on.  I don't think steak bones (T-Bone, Porterhouse, Ribeye) or the round bones from arm steaks and such would be good.  The dogs might be able to chew them up to easily.  Although uncooked, they shouldn't splinter.

I wish I lived by you, I'd love the opportunity to help out with the butchering process.

• edited November -1
    Make sure to feed them as a special treat though. Especially marrow rich bones can lead to quite the tummy ache if given too often or too much.
  • edited November -1

That's great - Jen and I really wanted to find a deal like that back when we where feeding 100% raw.

• edited November -1

Score!

Butchering cows...though, not my thing. The closest to that, would be rabbits. Since...someday, I would like to raise rabbits to feed my cats and dogs. I do have the space here, but...my roommates have been so great about me having my all animals (they are animal lovers, thankfully). I don't want to throw rabbits in the equation - just yet, anyways, lol.

Well, yay to beef! Your dogs will enjoy their treats.