Japanese White Dog Names

I know Japanese names for dogs have been discussed before, but perhaps not names for white dogs, since there were only a couple of participating Kishu owners before? To make it easy, I would like to know the phonetic words in Japanese for the following:

White
Snow
Ice
Winter
Frost
Snowstorm or Blizzard
Cold
Frozen

Anything else you can think of that would work for a white dog? Could some of you in Japan or from Japan or who know the language help here? I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Off the top of my head:

White - Shiro (she-row)
    Snow - Yuki (yoo-kee)
    Winter - Fuyu (foo-yoo)
    Cold - Samui (sah-moo-ee)
  • edited November -1
    These are taken from a dictionary, so possibly not 100% accurate:

Ice - Kouri (koh-ree)
    Blizzard/snowstorm - Fubuki (foo-boo-kee)
    Frost - Sousetsu (soh-set-soo)
    to freeze - Shimiru (she-mee-roo)
  • edited October 2009
    White is Shiro. Cold like the weather...it being cold out is Samui, but to describe something like ice, beer, or someone's personality being cold it would be Tsumetai. Fuyu is winter and snow is Yuki. Typically they use the English word for ice (Aisu) although I am sure there are many other words for it. I'm not sure about the rest.
  • edited October 2009
    Sorry, neko! I had the window open and didn't refresh so I didn't mean to post the same infos. :)
  • edited November -1
    Sorry don't know japanese words, but maybe I can offer up a few english words for translation.

Ash or Ashes (always thought it would be cute for someone to three shibas; the red is fire, black/tan is embers or burning/burnt, and white is ashes)

Bride, since in some traditions the bride is dressed in white

Moon, with it's silvery white light

Cloud, with fluffy whiteness

Rice, I think it's called Mochi (or is that the word for rices paste)

Polar bear, big and white

Dove

Sugar
  • edited October 2009
    I only know a couple of these.

Moon is Tsuki. Kumo is cloud. Rice is Gohan when cooked (like steamed rice) and uncooked rice/grains of rice would be Kome. Mochi are those doughy rice cakes (mmmmm mochi ice cream) but that's a super cute name for a fluff nugget. lol Sugar is Satou (which is what I call my friend Masato for short haha).
  • edited November -1
    White wolf = Hakuro

White = an alternate reading for the kanji is Haku

Storm = Arashi

Avalanche = Nadare

Those are all good for males, Koyuki (small snow) is all I can think of right now for a female.
  • edited November -1
    Kami (paper)
    Yumei (dream)
    Hime (princess)
    Hikari (light/bright)
    Raiden (thunder lightning)
    And all other sorts of lightning variations found here

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch to all of you for these names -- these are great.

It seems that Japanese is a language of words with multi-syllables! My personal preference is one or two syllables. Also, for the agility ring, I need a name that I can snap out quickly while running frantically behind my dog trying to get his attention to make a turn.

So the names that could roll off my tongue quickly are Yuki, Tsuki, maybe Kouri, Kumo (isn't there already a Kumo on the forum?), Haku, I like Raiden but it's harder to push out. One name I thought of unrelated to white or snow or ice was Kobi - the name of the Japanese lab module that went up on one of the space shuttles to the International Space Station. Kobi means hope (I think).
  • edited November -1
    my niece calls our cream shiba Mochi "Sticky rice ball" ;o)
  • edited November -1
    There are a couple of Kumas on the forum (bear) but not a single Kumo (spider)
  • edited November -1
    Oops -- the name of the Japanese lab module that is attached to the International Space Station is named Kibo, not Kobi. Really, I'm not dyslexic....

I guess there's already a Tsuki on the forum too.
  • edited November -1
    How about Kobe?
  • edited November -1
    There are a few Tsukis actually. Very popular name for Japanese dogs.
  • edited November -1
    How about Tenken (heavenly dog)?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Tara, is there a translation for Kobe? I like how it sounds.

Heavenly dog -- wouldn't that be appropriate for a white dog?! But he'd have a rather lot to live up to.
  • edited November -1
    Kobe is a city in Japan, I think.

It was also Sage's puppy name in rescue. I liked it, but my husband didn't- something about a basketball player? Anyway, he's a Sage now. :)
  • edited November -1
    Kobe is also a kind of beef, and a basketball player. Kobe Bryant, who was tried for rape. And IMHO I HATE THE LAKERS KOBE BRYANT OR NOT.
  • edited November -1
    Kobe is a city in Japan. My roommate grew up in Kobe. It is also a kind of beef and a basketball player. lol.

Kobe is also a Polish or Hebrew name. It can mean supplanter or is another name for Jacob. The Biblical baby name Jacob is Hebrew in origin and it's meaning is one who follows on another's heels or supplanter.

I almost named Koda Kobe. It was on the list. I like short, sweet, easy to say names for dogs. Not sure why.
  • edited November -1
    Koh-beh for the city, koh-bee for the beef and basketball player :)