Josephine and the wolf

edited July 2009 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
My hubby said there were two wolf sightings (or perhaps one wolf two times) at the farm just a 100 yards or so from the farmhouse on Saturday (the 4th). After that, all weekend long Josephine was only allowed outside with her bodyguards who were armed with 22 caliber rifle and/or pistol. She seemed to be perfectly fine with that arrangement!

Here is the longer story: First my husband saw something moving in the tall grass to the south of the yard as he was sitting on the screen porch about 8:30 a.m. with his cup of coffee and contemplating taking Josephine for her walk in the field to do her business. Shortly thereafter a timberwolf emerged and headed out the old driveway and across the road. He then assembled his brother and friend (big work weekend at the farm so I wasn't there-- the kitchen remodeling has begun) to tell them the tale. As they sat talking about it on the screen porch they saw a fawn run across the yard heading north just past a small new apple orchard we planted. A few minutes later the fawn came back across the same area heading south. A minute or two behind the fawn was a timberwolf. It was large --- brother-in-law says it was likely 50 to 75 lb larger than Josephine. That is one big wolf!

When Steve then tried to get Josephine to walk into the field she would not go, and refused to relieve herself until she was in the middle of the new driveway out by the road... maybe the only place she wasn't catching scent of the big bad wolf?

Unfortunately, no one saw the wolf again with gun handy, and its quite likely from the behavior that one or more wolves were stalking and wearing down the fawn until it could run no more. Then, lunchtime! My husband has permission from the DNR to take the wolf out if the dog is/has been threatened, but I know if the opportunity arises it will be with extreme mixed emotions! He says again, a beautiful animal!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow, that's amazingly scary.
  • edited November -1
    Oh my......sounds like an exciting morning. Hopefully Josephine wasn't too bummed about having her long weekend ruined. Smart girl not wanting to go into those fields.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds like an amazing sight. I'm glad that no harm done to human or dog. Hopefully the Timberwolf or wolves will stick to deers and their fawns and wild game. Seeing as how Josephine reacted to the wolfy scent...it looks like she'll steer clear from any trouble or run-ons with them. Stay safe!
  • edited November -1
    Wow awesome. It must be so surreal having wolves around like that.
  • edited November -1
    That's really cool, and a bit worrying at the same time. Looks like you guys need an Irish Wolfhound, or a few :-P
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad Josephine was wise enough to not go in the areas she feels is not safe Wolves are such beautiful creatures, but are dangerous at the same time.
  • edited November -1
    Oh Wow! Smart Josephine!
  • edited November -1
    wow. I can't believe you guys have wolves so close - that's a big deal. Those wolves are REALLY big! It would be a shame to shoot one tho, they are just now coming back to this land.

I'm with Rui - you need a wolfhound, or an LGD! :o)

Another option might be wolf urine, you can order it and pray it around the property to keep the wolves out.

Ok... Now where is the game cam spam of this wolf??? :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    Per the neighbor kids up there who are all around the territory trapping, fishing and hunting there is a pack of wolves numbering in the scores (50 or more?) at a nature preserve just a few miles away (5-10?) "as the crow flies". And the farmers in the area have been on the alert the past several summers, especially when the calves are newborn out with their mama's in the pastures. I have heard that wolves may travel 40-50 miles in a day when hunting for food, so its not surprising with all the great habitat my hubby created they would be around looking for the bunnies, partridge, fawns, etc. Steve would sure hate to shoot one, but I know if it were the wolf or Josephine where his sentiments would lie...

Well, you ask a good question, Brad --- First question I asked my hubby was where the game camera was in the midst of all this wolf activity. Just like you have done in the past, Brad, he diverted it to a different use this weekend. At that moment in time it was set up in the kitchen of the farmhouse keeping an "eye" on the kitchen demolition project just when he needed it trained on the far yard! (You can see the proof of the screen porch building and indoor demolishing at my "suzieqpublic" photobucket page! Guess he thought us stay at home wives would not believe the work that was ensuing or something!)

Also, thanks for the hint on the wolf urine --- I'll pass it on... and sorry for the coming vulgarity. After the first sighting about a year and a half ago a northern MN woman friend of mine who has also spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) camping out had this solution: The guys should go out and contribute their own urine to the cause of "marking" a boundary around the farm house or yard to keep the wolf(ves) at bay. Not sure they have tried that one yet.
  • edited November -1
    I've heard that any urine from a predator animal (including humans) will deter wolves/coyotes. Invite your male friends out for a drinking party and then let them stumble around in the woods, lol. I don't know if it actually works, but whatever.
  • edited November -1
    "The guys should go out and contribute their own urine to the cause of "marking" a boundary around the farm house or yard to keep the wolf(ves) at bay. Not sure they have tried that one yet. "

"I've heard that any urine from a predator animal (including humans) will deter wolves/coyotes."

Don't tell Jen! She will question me on owning BIG L!!! LOL

----

I need to put my game cam out, it's been in my office on the desk waiting to be put out for a few weeks now.

----