Social level and gender

So in my continuing research, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the following questions..

Are Kochiken sociable? To the extent that they will play with at least family. I don't need a dog who loves every person on the street, but I would like one that likes the pack and the family and is willing to play, and not just tolerate, the other dogs. Lantis only tolerates Lilith and never tries to play with her. In part this is because Lilith is very characteristically unbowed when it comes to dominance.. and Lantis dislikes that, since he is the oldest dog. Lilith would rather not play with him and not have to be submissive, then play with him and be submissive unlike Luna.

Is there a suggested gender? We have 2 fixed bitches and one fixed male (the two younger are female). They seem to get along fine right now, but some have suggested that two female spitze tend not to get along well. Seeing as how Kochiken will be significantly larger than our female Spitz when grown, I don't want them to fight or otherwise not get along. I am fine with either gender, but my boyfriend has a thing for the girl dogs... he'd much prefer another female.

Or would it not matter if they are brought up together from puppyhood?

Thanks again for all the input! I really appreciate it.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Great post! I'm interested in the responses...

We do not yet have a shikoku ken, but we are planning to welcome either gender into our home when it happens. I have an altered male and altered female shiba inu right now. My female gets along with every dog, including other males and females that have lived with us (the other female was intact AND in heat for a time as well). Our male seems to have a high reactivity to other males over high valued items, but it seems to be a response to the other dogs higher tendency to guard - if that makes any sense.
    We've been working with him, but we recently had a huge meetup with like 20+ shibas and a shikoku (Kuma, the intact male) and our male did perfect with him in play and just hanging out - and we had a picnic! I'm hoping due to the temperament desired of our future shikoku, that either male or female will work in our family...

But I'm interested to hear the current owner responses!
  • edited November -1
    With proper socialization Shikoku Ken are fine with dogs & people. I have met very few Shikoku who didn't like people, they seem to really love people. As for dogs, it requires socialization, but they are really very social in a "pack". They love to play.

One thing about Shikoku, they can be kinda jerks during play, so they may not play well with a highly reactive dog or a shy/insecure dog.

I have noticed that males tend to be a bit more reactive than females, but that's not the rule by any means and I don't own a male so I am only speaking from experience meeting male Shikoku on leash... I know Kris's Kuma is very social and welcomed several strange dogs into his home - even played nicely with them.

IMG_4406

Loa & Ahi

----
  • edited November -1
    I have Himiko, a spayed female who is approximately 18 months old.
    She adores people. A number of people on the forum have met her and I am sure would attest to her outpourings of affection.
    She also really enjoys the company of other dogs.
    She is half sister with both of Brads shikoku. She and Ahi have the same dam, and she and Loa have the same sire. Miko plays ROUGH with other dogs. And dogs that enjoy that LOVE her, and she them.
    She came to us when we had a shiba inu and a pit bull and she loved both dogs. Both of them have since passed. We have taken in another pit bull and the two of them are the very best of friends. We are planning on adding to our pack again later this year and we are just making sure that my two have the best of manners so that the newer pack member will feel warmly welcomed.
    Miko loves people, and dogs, and perhaps loves my cats more than they would like her to love them, but she is a love. She is a nibbler though FYI.
    Miko and Piglet
    Daddys Little Girls 006
    Miko, Ridiculous Jason, Puppy love 007
  • edited June 2009
    Love that last photo Jessica! That is so CUTE!

As Jen brought up, she recently attended a meetup at my house. I was not sure how Kuma might act, being an intact male on his own turf running loose with a bunch of dogs. He loved it and was very, very good with all the dogs. He definitely has his preferences (ie, small girl shibas), but got along with all the dogs. He lives alone and most of his interaction with other dogs is at training classes (ie, no playing really, just working).

I am sure that not all intact male Shikoku would be as good with other dogs, but Kuma certainly was. He also is very, very good with all people and loves all people and kids. I have used him at pet expos and he takes it all in and NEVER gets upset no matter how "stupid" the people might be about approaching dogs they don't know.

From the meetup at my house (others took the photos - thanks all!)

Video of him playing (he loves rough play - just like others have said about their Kochi Ken)

Kuma with a Shiba puppy (Katsu)

Kuma with Shibas of various ages (Kuma is the largest in the center)

Meetup6

DSCN3138
  • edited November -1
    Tsukitsune,

Our dogs are always, always very nice at the parks, but it's a different story when the dog is in their territory, ie., the house!

My sister brings her rescued dogs over sometimes and even though Luna and Lilith are both less than 10 lbs currently (Lilith will fill out in adulthood), they have no problem bossing them (a ridgeback mix, a wolf-siberian mix, and a rehomed chihuahua) around and otherwise terrorizing fosters if we let 'em! They never bite or attack, but they can be very "in your face, poking constantly with nose". For this reason we can't evaluate their friendliness to dogs who will actually live with them solely by interactions with outside dogs. I attribute part of Lilith's "never back down" personality with her puppy experiences.. Luna was always really pushy with Lilith, but now that she's a bit older she's the one who's even MORE pushier (although she was a very shy pup.. always hiding under the table too low for Luna to get her).

As for socialization with other dogs.. we can understand that from our past breeds. That would be no problem to us at all.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. So is the general consensus from the responses so far that either a male (perhaps a little more) or a female should be okay? What about with smaller dogs? I know JessicaRabbit posted that dogs that love to play rough love your Kochiken.. What type of play are we talking about? In terms of nice play, if just the tumble or energy level is high, that is fine. But we do have 2 smaller dogs that may actually be hurt during -actual- rough play like shoving or being thrown/pushed around too hard. Mind you, Luna loves to play with Lantis, and Lantis likes to play rough. He just knows that 'rough' in terms of Luna has its limits. (He's 90lbs, she's barely 8).

Any others?
  • edited November -1
    They can play pretty rough...

But they tend to be good at altering their play to fit the dog they are playing with.

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad and Jen,

The videos really looks just like how our two smaller ones play.. !! Thanks for the advice!
  • edited November -1
    JESSICA! That last picture made me "AW" out loud!!!!! LOVE IT!
  • edited November -1
    Haha, I had watched the videos on silent because I didn't have headphones with me. Now that I'm rewatching with sound, Brad and Jen, I find the music hilarious! ;)

Thanks for all the videos and adorable photos. I myself am a horrible photographer. Can't get a clear shot for the life of me...