I AM GETTING A PUPPY!!!! [PICKUPDAY!]

edited May 2009 in Other Breeds
HEY!!!! :D
My parent's got me a puppy!!! :D :D I get to get him next Saturday!! He's a Pomchi (yes a designer breed) but I'd prefer not to get into the discussion about mixed breeds, bad breeders etc. cause I agree with all of it. Even with that I am super excited! My parents got me a small breed dog because of my school/apartment living. Also they don't believe in paying reputable shiba prices :P (so that's my goal when I graduate and have a life of my own.) ~ though the parents were tested and were free of all diseases and were AKC and healthy, so as far as mixed breeders, I feel this was at least okay : ) )

SO ~ here is the only two pics I have:

I will spam when I get him, If that's okay : )
I plan to train and feed him just as well as you guys do here!

<3

Comments

• edited November -1
    Congrats! And yes! Please spam away once you are able to!
  • edited November -1
    He is soo little!! Cute! His nose and whiskers remind me of a cat. :D Whatcha gonna name him?
  • edited November -1
    Ahh i love him so much, and he actually looks alot like my kitty who is black and white and fluffy also! haha. good thing the cat is huge or i'd get them confused. And yes he's very petite. I love how he has a little curled tail, though you can't see it here.

As far as names, I'm still thinking. Boy names are so much harder than girl names! especially for cute fluffy boys!! My dad thinks I should name him black puppy since we call our car black kitty (but his name is baby/oreo). I'm looking up names now, any suggestions?
  • edited November -1
    Name him Cerberus. of Steve.
  • edited November -1
    Cerberus, that's pretty awesome. could call him Cerby for short lol.

I also like Mephistopheles but that's a bit dark and un-dog related.

I'm on websites looking up names
  • edited November -1
    I had a cat named Mephistopheles. I like Cerberus for teeny dogs. I wanted to name a Pom at the shelter that. They wouldn't let me, so I named him Steve.
  • edited November -1
    Hahah great. Steve the Cerberus. :D

I love mythical stuff.
    I'll keep that name in mind, -writes it on the list- :D
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! He certainly is cute.

I'm all tapped out on names since I've been thinking about what my next puppy's name will be lately.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! Can't wait for PomChi spam!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! Waiting for spam :P
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! My neighbors have a Pom/Chihuahua mix, she's a tan color, and feisty!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on your puppy! I will be very excited for spam!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! He's cute.

I would name him "Killer".

----
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on your new pup!!! How exciting for you! Can't wait to see more pics of your little guy! As for names....hmm..will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with! I like the name kibou (hope) :o)
  • edited November -1
    What about Nosferatu?
  • edited November -1
    How about Bandit cause he stole your heart! heha cheesy i know!

He is a cutie
  • edited November -1
    Breed?
  • edited November -1
    I like the name Donut for a small dog... not sure why...
  • edited November -1
    Evan, you are on Vicodin, you can't name dogs right now. LOL
  • edited November -1
    LOL!!!! Now THAT was funny!
  • edited November -1
    LOL too true Kristin... too true!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! As far as names go...

Fenrir :) ~
  • edited November -1
    I love your suggestions! here are some I like too:

Mochi, scribbles, nigel, panda, pickles, nano, crayola, nikon, klondike, kodak, and orca. : ) but you guys have good ones too!
  • edited November -1
    What a cute little munchkin...I kind of like Scribbles out of your list of names, even if it does sound more like a cats name.
  • edited November -1
    I love this forum (which i am now double stalking for puppy info! ) Side-question: anyone have any experience with small breeds and want to share any advice, recommendations? (my parents had a pom when i was a baby but they don't get why i should buy 23.00 a bag food (i'm gonna do it anyway) )
  • edited May 2009
    Aww! he's so cute can't wait to see more pictures Mochi is a cute name also Orca too since he's black and white like an orca well I'm sure whatever name you come up with it'll be good. =)

No advice on small breed dogs I've lived with medium size dogs all my life, but I'm sure he'll do fine with you be sure to teach him lots of tricks puppies are very smart.
  • edited November -1
    Something with small breeds such as chihuahuas is to look before you sit. They are so small and will not always move out of the way in time, and are easily squished.

Both the chihuahua and the pom also have a very loud, high pitched voice, and they aren't afraid to use it. Teaching a 'quiet' command can be very helpful.

Whatever you do, don't baby him or treat him in anyway similar to how a 'handbag dog' is treated. These breed types can become very possessive of their person and can easily develop a reactiveness to anyone who comes near you (or gets your attention) when their around. Treating them more like a dog than a baby/accessory will be better for them. I'm not accusing you of being like that, but because of their small size many people underestimate these dogs, and it's not going to kill them to be walked like a regular dog.
  • edited November -1
    Calia, thanks. : )
    Actually I do plan on teaching the quiet command and being very strict with training, food times, walking etc. I'm mostly worried that other people wont, such as my mom. At least he's small so I can take him with me most places so my mom isn't feeding him constantly and letting him get away with murder! My relatives too (they often feed pple food to their dogs) Haahah. As soon as he's 10 wks I will enroll him in puppy classes and am going to begin training a bit when i get him. I live off of watching "It's me or the Dog" so I will use all of Victoria's advice on training to help me. A positive is he is already crate trained so all I have to do is get him used to his new crate.

I am researching good toys for small dogs, and other such supplies. and grooming advice too.
    I am trying to get a job at petco this summer as an assistant groomer or trainer. I tried petsmart but they wont hire you if you have more than one piercing in your ear. (grr. maybe i can get away with clear earrings? )
  • edited November -1
    Lol my chihuahua/dachshund mix didn't know how to bark until the neighbors got their dog. He meowed most of his life.
  • edited May 2009
    Wow, what a silly rule. I mean, they let you get away with one...but not more than one? Must be for "professional appearances" sake rather than safety reasons.

Even Best Buy let people where more than one piercing in their ear. [ face piercings had to be concealed ] Piercings [ even tongue ] weren't allowed for those who worked in inventory tho...safety reasons. [ get your tongue stuck to the fork lift & dragged? no idea haha ]

Oh You're going to have a handful! [ quite...literally! lol ]

There are two pomeranian-chihuaha [ no idea on spelling ] mixes that my neighbor has [ accidental breeding *sigh* ] They ARE quite vocal! heh ~