Kahlo passes her first Training hurdle! (Update w/ spam)

edited April 2009 in Behavior & Training
All I can say is...PHEW! We met with our trainer today for the first time! She's a neat lady and we had a really positive experience. We are lucky to have her as a resource. Kahlo, for the most part, did exactly what she should do....act like a good dog. We had her in an off-leash corall with several other dogs (the evaluation was purely for dog on dog behavior). Kahlo was patient and gave the dogs a pretty good degree of latitude. She was mounted twice and allowed it for about 15 seconds and then gave her warning bark and the dog immediately backed off. We had two incidents, but in both cases the trainer noted that Kahlo was not the instigator. The only serious issue was when someone brought their miniature poodle in through the gate on leash. All the dogs rushed the poodle. Kahlo showed ALOT of interest and the dog nipped at Kahlo who in turn tried to nip back...but a 68# dog nipping a 4lb dog is not a pretty site...we pulled Kahlo off. The trainer, all in all, was pretty impressed with Kahlo and didn't see a lot of red flags with regard to dog interaction, and in fact, was impressed with how laid back Kahlo could be around other dogs. Of course, she has some concerns about Kahlos interaction with smaller dogs, but did feel that with some additional training we might get a better feel for her....and certainly, Kahlo could benefit from some elevated training beyond what she already knows. I think the training will also help me feel more confident in my handling of Kahlo around other dogs and help me better learn to read Kahlo ques as well as other pups.

At the end of our session, imagine my surprise when a car pulled up and out pops, what at first I thought was a large creamy shiba...only to find out it was a female Akita Inu! I was really surprised at her size....my only experience with an Akita Inu is our breeder who has a very large boy...I mean, he's got to be on the large side of the Akita Inu standard. The female we saw was was 4 years old and comes from a breeder in Israel....again, I was really shocked...I somehow thought the females would be bigger...but who am I to talk...Kahlo is a whopping 68# which is on the small side for an American Akita, but still Kahlo was bigger than the AI by about 10 pounds. I'm hoping our trainer will send me the picture she took of Kahlo and the Akita Inu standing together!! It was certainly a contrast and not something you see everyday!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yay for Kahlo!!!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats to Kahlo (and you) for having such a great evaluation!
  • edited November -1
    Great job, Kahlo!! Keep up the good work!
  • edited November -1
    OMG-they look so pretty together! Neat find, I've never seen the two breeds side by side before. Is that Robinswood park? What a pretty area to do an eval. It's really nice to have the evals done under real life circumstances where the issues occur instead of in a training center.

Anyways, so glad for Kahlo's progress. Keep up the good work!
  • edited November -1
    YAY! Congratulations! Im glad you got such a great feel from your trainer, it's always nice having confidence with your trainer and dog. Im sure you and Kahlo will do GREAT!
  • edited November -1
    wow. Kahlo is just breathtaking! Glad she did well during her evaluation!

Awesome meeting the AI!
  • edited April 2009
    Congrats! How exciting!
  • edited November -1
    YAY! Congrats! :D ~
  • edited November -1
    Great news! Sounds like you got a good trainer and are off to a great start.
    Kahlo is such a teddy bear, if she were mine I'd be hugging her all the time. : )

Keep up the good work!
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    @SNF...trust me, she gets TONS of hugs...she's the most huggable thing around, and what makes it even better is that she loves her love-ins, and is eager to seek out affection now...she was a little reserved the first couple of weeks. She even does well with strangers...provided they don't kneel down, then she gets a little weirded out.

Lindsay, yes that was robinswood. I hadn't been there in years (not since my days at BCC)...wow has it changed! I used to take my samoyed there for nature walks in the 80's....back when it was all woods!
  • edited November -1
    They have the Shiba meets there. It must have been really beautiful with all the trees.
  • edited May 2009
    That's great news! Congrats!

That white Akita looks familiar, was her name Mihoshi?
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! It sounds great. Good luck with everything.