An Irreconcilable Difference?

edited April 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
I was just "up" last night and was giving myself a present - an iTune binge when I noticed that Tosca was not approving of some of my purchases. Could it be that my opera-loving shiba may have a problem with neoclassical piano works and, more upsetting, with Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Miles Davis (the earlier stuff), and Thelonius Monk? This can't be! I know she's not a big fan of loud rock music but she'll at least tolerate it. Ok, I will admit that some of my purchases are a little abstract but I assumed that if she could deal with opera, she could deal with anything. I think I may have been wrong, but what do you do when your shiba barks through the end of the second movement of Leos Janacek's In the Mists? How do you teach her music appriciation? I think she may not like the dissonence because it seems like the more dissonent the piece the more agitated she gets. So I may have pinpointed the problem, but how do I fix it - treats during my Sunday morning jazz fix? One thing is certain, the music stays. I've ended relationships over this type of thing and I won't be bending to the will of a small, multi-colored dog with a silly, curly tail. No, I will not be moved on this. I've given in to my furry housemate enough; my bed is no longer just mine, I refuse to sacrafice this lovely music to a shiba with underdeveloped taste in such things.

*I know you've seen the pic before, but it fits so well with the topic.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Nancy you really need a blog, I love reading your threads lol.
  • edited November -1
    Me too!

It's true, you really do need a blog.
  • edited November -1
    Tosca needs to learn to love Jazz & jazz. Play it softly at night when it is time to sleep that might help her learn to love the music.
  • edited November -1
    Hahaha excellent.

I may have come across my own irreconcilable difference with my boy Space. He doesn't seem to like peanut butter! Not cool boy.
  • edited November -1
    Cute pic Nancy,
    I'm not sure I ever saw it but it's amazing how patient your dog is at being posed for pictures!

Mike,
    That's damn near unshiba-like for your dog to not like peanut butter:). Our dog goes ga-ga over it. We just came back from Wholefoods because we buy the unsalted/unsweetened to make sure it isn't too unhealthy for him.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    My Kirby loves Classical & Jazz. Your pup WILL too.
  • edited November -1
    Keiko sat through all of Mama Mia! Apparently she's a huge fan of musical theater too ;o)
  • edited November -1
    Crimson,

I was giving him the Trader Joe's unsalted, so its not that different. Maybe he's a whole foods pup.
  • edited June 2009
    I actually do have a blog and just resurrected it this evening. I mentioned the forum in it. I'm checking the advertising rules before I post the link this time before I get myself into trouble. You can only be dumb about something once at best and then it's no longer an excuse.

* It seems ok to post this, so the address for the blog is discourseincsharpminor.wordpress.com
  • edited November -1
    Just wondering where forum rules are located??? Seems like they should be stickied or something, but I can't seem to find them... maybe I'm just too tired and missing something.

Anywho... just wanted to familiarize myself with them, so if you have a link it would be fab! :o)
  • edited November -1
    Help tab. Then I clicked Forum Rules and then the Terms of Service highlighted thing.
  • edited November -1
    Oooh thanks!!! Never realized they were there :o)
  • edited November -1
    hahah! I love that picture!
  • edited November -1
    Nancy : Love the pic! What an adorable princess and so patient with the costume changes! With a doggie like that, I think a little difference in musical taste can be forgiven! Of course, there is that part about the howling and whining that maybe disturbs you enjoyment? How about a well-timed visit by Tosca to a friend or neighbor for a "doggie care" break while you are enjoying "all that jazz"? Or maybe she just needs an appropriate "nick-name" to get in the mood for the jazz? --- How about Ms. Thelon...?
  • edited November -1
    You know, sometimes music appreciation has to be worked in to slowly. Maybe give her a transitional genre to go from Opera to Jazz? Bela Fleck and Edgar Mayer have a great album called "Music for Two", and then there's "The Enchantment" with Bela and Chick Corea. They do some classical pieces with a jazz related style. It's eclectic, but I think she can dig it. A little less eclectic is Keb' Mo'. He sings with his jazzy/blues combo, but again, it's a transition. Sometimes the untrained ear just needs a little introduction. Try taking it more slowly.

:)
  • edited November -1
    Awwww! Tosca's so naughty :) ~
This discussion has been closed.