Katsu-Tumor/lump Removal? what is this? :(

Katsu had this for a month now. Hes been itching and licking around that area. (look at photo) We thought it would disappear after a month but it didnt so we went to the vet couple days ago to check this out and they do a fine needle aspirate and did not get too much results. Doctors recommendation was to remove it and sent it out for a histopathology mircoscopic exam (on this lump). The quote was around 550 dollars and i thought the price was kind of ridiculous since my moms pitbull had her fatty tumor remove for 300 (Michigan) Can anyone on here identify what this is? and if it is serious? BTW, he is acting normal and having the life...same old shiba 500 every night

Comments

• edited March 2009
    wider shot
  • edited November -1
    Personally, I would get a second opinion. Usually when they aspirate, the doctor takes a look...if he/she can't tell, they will send the slide to a pathologist for a more thorough evaluation...straight up removal seems odd.
  • edited November -1
    The rule of thumb I thought, even if it isn't a cancerous bump, if it bothers the dog, it should be removed. It looks like a cyst, maybe a histiocytoma, but the fine needle aspirate or biopsy would determine that. To remove/properly diagnose it, would require a general anesthetic/sedative, surgery time, and then the lab cost with some antibiotics maybe. Especially since the dog is worrying it, I would take your vet's advice or ask around to see if that's a fair estimate for your area. I hope it's nothing serious, the saliva staining makes it look bigger than it probably is.
  • edited November -1
    A second opinion never hurts. Also if you live in a bigger city than your mom, more expensive vet work is to be expected. Also, if the price includes the cost of the lab tests, then $550 doesn't seem out of line, lab tests are very expensive.
  • edited November -1
    I might visit a different vet this weekend to get their opinion. Katsu is doing fine right now and he is licking around that area. Is a lab test necessary because that itself cost 110 dollars and the doctor told me most of the time, the test comes back grade 2
  • edited November -1
    $550 is reasonable particularly if the mass is being submitted for histopathology. Lipomas are rarely submitted for histopath since they are easily identified as fatty tumors and do not possess malignant tendencies. To compare to your mother's dog's surgery is not appropriate.

Did your DVM mention anything about a suspected mast cell tumor? If (s)he talked about Grade 2, that's probably what (s)he has in the back of the mind. Many mast cell tumors are typically easily recognized on fine needle aspirate since they have darkly staining granules. Unofortunately, not all of them stain well. They can have a variety of outer skin appearances, so it is not possible to detect them based on the lump itself. Mast cell tumors should be surgically excised and they should be graded by histopath. ALL (regardless of grade) are considered malignant. Obviously a Grade 1 or Grade 2 with clean margins have a better prognosis.

Read more about MCTs here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1600

Take advantage of general anesthesia if you go the surgery route...does Katsu need his teeth cleaned?
  • edited November -1
    TeamLaika---is mast cell tumor pretty severel? does it need to be remove asap?