Is this REALLY a Shikoku?

What do you guys think, is this really a Shikoku? Looks like a mix to me and Jen, but maybe it's a different strain of Shikokus???? I dunno - I'm not buying it.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I am not educated enough on the breed to make a judgment call, but I would be really interested to hear what the rest of the gang has to say. I would also be interested to hear what Katja and Peggy have to say.
  • edited November -1

looks like one to me.....acts like one too.

• edited November -1

To me his ears seem big, and the color of his eyes are different. He also looks to have very long legs for a Shikoku, but I know the Shikokus that stem from the bloodlines of the Shikoku that originally hunted dear are taller.

This dogs looks more like a husky / Shikoku mix to me, or maybe even a Jindo / Shikoku mix.

• edited November -1

He has an ugly head for a Shikoku. He is still young, could see how he looks as an adult, but still...his conformation is all wrong. He could be a "working" Shikoku, where they breed in other breeds. So, he isn't pure.

People do the same with Malinois, especially the ones bred for the KNPV sport. They aren't pure Malinois, but Malinois mixed with German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Dutch Shepherd and who knows what else. They might breed back to Malinois and the later generation start looking more and more like Malinois, but they are still mixes!

The same could be true with this dog. Perhaps there is a "breeder" who is making his/her own line by mixing the Shikoku with other breeds. Never the less, still a mix! Or a complete fluke! Poor dog...lol  

• edited October 2007

His face looks kinda bully-ish to me. Most likely the mother is a Shikoku. The father could have been some bully breed or mix?

~~~~~~~~

I don't think Husky at all with the way the head shape is.

I just looked up some Korean Jindo photos though...and I think you might be right Brad! The Jindo / Shikoku mix seems about right. That's probably where he got his head from! 

• edited November -1

I can't even see pictures at work anymore?  Hmm...